Thread: Opposition to OC from CPL Holders

Post imported post

I was OCing a few weeks ago and a friend of mine with a CPL made a very sharp comment about OC being a terrible idea. I asked him to elaborate, and he did.... man he did! He said it was a terrible idea for tactical reasons, it made me look like a nut-job, it turned people off to carry of weapons in general, said it would cause places to put up signs prohibiting guns (preventing him from CCing), and also being a childish thing to do to "get a rise" out of the boys in blue. After a moment of trying to figure out what just happened, I addressed each point to my satisfaction. Another friend of ours with a CPL joined in and was on the fence between us. Some more points came up which I will get to in later posts, but I am curious if anyone else has been lectured by someone with a CPL like this. It really surprised me.

-Rob

Post imported post

I have a CPL. I carry concealed, I carry openly. It depends upon what I am doing, and yes, I have been challenged, not only by those that have a CPL, but those that do not even own firearms. Never been lectured before, though, as I usually wont let them finish their idiotic tirade.

Post imported post

I have my CPL and carry concealed half of the time because work requires it. I understand both sides of it, I was just taken off guard by how against it he was. He made several elitist remarks and stated what I think amounts to a "gun ownership by select few" argument. Even when I can, I don't always OC. I use discretion, for example a funeral. Other times I am out with the wife on a date and she would prefer I keep it covered.

-Rob

Post imported post

I have a CPL . . . I carry concealed sometimes, I open carry sometimes, and sometimes both (larger gun OC'd, backup gun CC'd).

My line in the sand isquite simple, folks. Either you support the natural right of responsible adultsto keep and bear arms, or you don't.

Mr./Ms. gun owner, hunter, sport shooter, CPL holder, etc. who hasan "issue" with any type of firearm or safe type of carry of firearms other than their own preferred is nearly as dangerous to the liberty of all of us gun ownersas an anti-gunner. It's truly pathetic when we have to waste effort fighting what should be "one of our own."
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

They all give the same old story. I have encountered it a couple times. As soon as they start in, and I see where its going, I make sure they know that if they are not comfortable with it, then they shouldnt do it. Plain and simple.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I admit, my biggest interest in OC developed out of desire to not have to be subject to victim zones. However, as time went on Ibegan realize the benefits namely, prevention.

I guess I see itsimilar to atraffic cop trying to reduce speeding. Is it betterfor him to set up a speed trap and write tickets to violaters (cc), or would it be better to park his car where everyone can see and stop people from speeding in the first place (oc)?

I do however, have some stock in the theory that an OC'ing individual could be targeted in a hostile situation. That being said, an important point not mentioned when that reasoning is given is that everyone always consider the person to be the only one oc'ing. How great will it be when the day comes when OC is commonplace. It would be much harder for a crook to target six citizens at the bank that were all armed. Now you truly have violence free preventative crime management. "An armed society is a civil society." This, I believe, is our ultimate goal.
    United we STAND!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    The "element of surprise" has always been considered an offensive tactic anyway and not a defensive tactic.
    A hedgehog flashed into my mind. The fox must decide whether the evident armament is worth risking for the dumpy citizen of the Animal Farm. Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Your friend is right about places putting up signs as I've found out here in Arizona. But it's for the best anyway, because who wants to give anti gun store owners money?

In regards to the element of surprise thing, with OC you might end up having to draw immediately, but you are much more likely not to have to because of criminals deciding to leave you alone. With CC you have the option of when to draw sometimes, but you are more likely to be attacked. There isn't much more to it that I know of.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.