• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opposition to OC from CPL Holders

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I was OCing a few weeks ago and a friend of mine with a CPL made a very sharp comment about OC being a terrible idea. I asked him to elaborate, and he did.... man he did! He said it was a terrible idea for tactical reasons, it made me look like a nut-job, it turned people off to carry of weapons in general, said it would cause places to put up signs prohibiting guns (preventing him from CCing), and also being a childish thing to do to "get a rise" out of the boys in blue. After a moment of trying to figure out what just happened, I addressed each point to my satisfaction. Another friend of ours with a CPL joined in and was on the fence between us. Some more points came up which I will get to in later posts, but I am curious if anyone else has been lectured by someone with a CPL like this. It really surprised me.

-Rob

jfrenchudm

imported post

I have a CPL. I carry concealed, I carry openly. It depends upon what I am doing, and yes, I have been challenged, not only by those that have a CPL, but those that do not even own firearms. Never been lectured before, though, as I usually wont let them finish their idiotic tirade.

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I have my CPL and carry concealed half of the time because work requires it. I understand both sides of it, I was just taken off guard by how against it he was. He made several elitist remarks and stated what I think amounts to a "gun ownership by select few" argument. Even when I can, I don't always OC. I use discretion, for example a funeral. Other times I am out with the wife on a date and she would prefer I keep it covered.

-Rob

DanM

imported post

I have a CPL . . . I carry concealed sometimes, I open carry sometimes, and sometimes both (larger gun OC'd, backup gun CC'd).

My line in the sand isquite simple, folks. Either you support the natural right of responsible adultsto keep and bear arms, or you don't.

Mr./Ms. gun owner, hunter, sport shooter, CPL holder, etc. who hasan "issue" with any type of firearm or safe type of carry of firearms other than their own preferred is nearly as dangerous to the liberty of all of us gun ownersas an anti-gunner. It's truly pathetic when we have to waste effort fighting what should be "one of our own."

Tucker6900

imported post

They all give the same old story. I have encountered it a couple times. As soon as they start in, and I see where its going, I make sure they know that if they are not comfortable with it, then they shouldnt do it. Plain and simple.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

I admit, my biggest interest in OC developed out of desire to not have to be subject to victim zones. However, as time went on Ibegan realize the benefits namely, prevention.

I guess I see itsimilar to atraffic cop trying to reduce speeding. Is it betterfor him to set up a speed trap and write tickets to violaters (cc), or would it be better to park his car where everyone can see and stop people from speeding in the first place (oc)?

I do however, have some stock in the theory that an OC'ing individual could be targeted in a hostile situation. That being said, an important point not mentioned when that reasoning is given is that everyone always consider the person to be the only one oc'ing. How great will it be when the day comes when OC is commonplace. It would be much harder for a crook to target six citizens at the bank that were all armed. Now you truly have violence free preventative crime management. "An armed society is a civil society." This, I believe, is our ultimate goal.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
The "element of surprise" has always been considered an offensive tactic anyway and not a defensive tactic.
A hedgehog flashed into my mind. The fox must decide whether the evident armament is worth risking for the dumpy citizen of the Animal Farm. Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Michigander

imported post

Your friend is right about places putting up signs as I've found out here in Arizona. But it's for the best anyway, because who wants to give anti gun store owners money?

In regards to the element of surprise thing, with OC you might end up having to draw immediately, but you are much more likely not to have to because of criminals deciding to leave you alone. With CC you have the option of when to draw sometimes, but you are more likely to be attacked. There isn't much more to it that I know of.