• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silica Gel Desiccant

David.Car

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Do you guys use anything like it for your long term ammo storage? I have four 50 cal ammo cans full of 7.62 and would hate for it to be ruined.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=799452
I have a really large one in my safe. Just trying to keep any moisture from affecting anything.

As far as ammo goes if you have it in sealed cans, just throw in a tiny one (like from shoe boxes) and you should be good to go for pretty much ever.

Now if you are opening and closing the box all the time, might want to replace it once in a long while.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Also....MOST dessicants can be revitalized in the micro wave. FYI :)
Or conventional over or a stove top pan.

Silica gel is the most common desiccant by far. It is made from sodium silicate and is regenerated at 250F for two hours.

Hence my caution about a microwave because the user has no control over temperature and the diffusion of the water out of the porous base material takes time. Diffusion is a time and temperature driven process.