• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just spent 5 days Open Carrying Loaded.

Decoligny

imported post

I just spent 5 days carrying a LOADED pistol on my hip, most of the time.There were a couple of dinners that Iattended where alcohol was sold for consumption, so no guns by AZ law.

Just got back from Tucson, AZ. I was representing the Squadron I work for at the reunion of the WWII members of my Squadron. I truly know that todays military is what it is only because we are standing on the shoulders of giants. These men spent YEARS living in tents without rest leave, under the harshest conditions and constant threat of violent death. They are referred to as "The Greatest Generation" for good reason.

I got to get a little personal time also. I ate at Cracker Barrel, armed. I ate at Waffle House, armed. I shopped at Pier One Imports (wife wanted to), armed. I saw a movie, armed. I stopped several times to get gas, armed.

I can't begin to describe the wonderful feeling of enjoying my liberty without having to worry about some uneducated cop hassling me, or worrying about if I really could get the magazine in and a round chambered in time if the SHTF.

Can't wait for Nordyke to win.

stevenh512

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I just spent 5 days carrying a LOADED pistol on my hip, most of the time.There were a couple of dinners that Iattended where alcohol was sold for consumption, so no guns by AZ law.
Isn't it nice? There are still a few places in California where you can carry loaded, I'm fortunate enough to live in one right now (and unfortunate enough to be moving back to an incorporated city soon).

I have to say, even with all the wild animals and even wilder people around here (Landers), I've never had to fire my gun and only ever had to draw it once when somebody tried to break into my house in the middle of the night (BIG mistake.. I'm very much a night person.. you'd be better off trying to take me by surprise in broad daylight)

SANDCREEK

imported post

I migrated to Colorado in 2006 from Texas. After carrying concealed since the early '80's ("legally" or not) in Texas- it has been refreshing to say the least to be able to freely excercise full rights of citizenship.

It is sobering to observe the "adjustment" in demeanor of some individuals when they find themselves in the presence of aan ordinary citizen who has a holstered GL23 on his belt. People who are operating on the "edge" of societal standards of conduct ( a broad description of A-Z misbehavior) tend to'rein-up" a bit . I've observed this tendancy on numerous occassions - from "straightening-up" to "Isn't there SOME PLACE else I'm supposed to be right now".

stevenh512

imported post

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been around guns all my life, my dad taught me a healthy respect for firearms at a young age and I've been shooting at several different firing ranges since I was 13 or 14.. but outside of a firing range this is the first time I've ever been around so many openly armed people who aren't cops or criminals. It's quite a learning experience and I have to admit it scared me a little at first, but I've become pretty comfortable with the fact that I can have a loaded gun on my belt at all times (school zones and post office not included) and so can everyone else around here.

Funny thing is, my first experience ever with "open carry" was about a week after I moved out here. I heard three gunshots and looked out my window to see the neighbor standing outside across the street and a dead rattlesnake on the ground. He came over, gun on his belt, to tell me what happened and my first reaction was to point at the gun and say "is that legal out here?" lol

Decoligny

imported post

I also happen to be in an unicorporated area. I can and do carry loaded in my neighborhood, to the store, to the sports bar for a burger, to the pizza place. I am however closed in on both sides by schools. So most of the town I live in is within 1000 feet of schools. I limit it to my neighborhood and when out in the desert shooting.