Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student with gun arrested at Danville Community College

Post imported post

Student with gun arrested at Danville Community College

Monday, Oct 13, 2008 - 08:37 PM

DANVILLE -- Police say a Danville Community College student seen carrying a gun on campus has been arrested.

The campus was placed on lockdown shortly after the incident was reported around 8:15 a.m. today, and it remained on lockdown until college officials were sure the suspect was in custody.

City police say 18-year-old Bruce Wayne Elder was carrying two guns when he was apprehended on a street near the college. He faces charges of two counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of alcohol by a minor.

Another nut-job seeking infamy?? I'm surprised this wasn't the top news story for the day.

Post imported post

Definitely not a lawful citizen:what:

Post imported post

Armed wrote:

DANVILLE -- Police say a Danville Community College student seen carrying a gun on campus has been arrested.

The campus was placed on lockdown shortly after the incident was reported around 8:15 a.m. today, and it remained on lockdown until college officials were sure the suspect was in custody.

City police say 18-year-old Bruce Wayne Elder was carrying two guns when he was apprehended on a street near the college. He faces charges of two counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of alcohol by a minor.

Another nut-job seeking infamy?? I'm surprised this wasn't the top news story for the day.
    There was a Community COllege shotting in TX that didn't get anything but a quick mention today

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Bruce Wayne Elder

That would have been a nice headline for the media if there was a shooting...

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...,4245180.story

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Armed wrote:
    Bruce Wayne Elder
    That would have been a nice headline for the media if there was a shooting...
    HA! Good one!!

Post imported post

Damn it this just cannot happen. Didn't the felon know that he is not allowed to have a firearm in a gun free zone????

So if this whack job was not a whack job felon, and leaving the guns + booze stuff aside, what would the problem with open carry on a city street around a campus have been?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Damn it this just cannot happen. Didn't the felon know that he is not allowed to have a firearm in a gun free zone????

So if this whack job was not a whack job felon, and leaving the guns + booze stuff aside, what would the problem with open carry on a city street around a campus have been?
    That's what I noticed, was he or wasn't he "on" campus property?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

18 year old convicted felon? Going to college? Doesn't sound right.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    DooD, go to bed :^).

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
    Yeah, but that's only when he was "caught". Was he on campus and then left or was he never on campus but only walking by?

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
    Yeah, but that's only when he was "caught". Was he on campus and then left or was he never on campus but only walking by?
    What difference does that make?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Armed wrote:

Link?

Please always posts links to news items.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    He might have been a juvenile charged as an adult.

I don't believe Community Colleges/University's do background checks.

There are many ex-felons that attend or have graduated from college, many become lawyers.
    Judge Mathis for exampleis an ex-felon working in the criminal justice system, he went to a 4yr Univ.I believe.

This isn't a slam on lawyers.

[line]
    This is why those with CHP's should ignore the anti carry policiesuntil we can get them changed.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Maybe he was arrested for 'future crime'. Everyone knows there are an abundance of serial killers and hardened criminals with the middle name "Wayne".

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
    If he was on a public street and not campus, why was he detained to begin with? That difference could possibly determine an illegal seizure regardless of his convict status.

Post imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
    why was he detained to begin with? That difference could possibly determine an illegal seizure regardless of his convict status.
    Just a guesson my part, he was probably openly consuming his liquid courage.

[line]

§ 4.1-322. Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by interdicted persons; penalty.

No person who has been interdicted pursuant to § 4.1-333 or § 4.1-334 shall possess any alcoholic beverages, except those acquired in accordance with subdivisions 1 through 5 of § 4.1-200, nor be drunk in public in violation of § 18.2-388.

Any interdicted person found to be in violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Link? Please always posts links to news items.
    http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...,4245180.story

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    trailblazer2003 wrote:
    why was he detained to begin with? That difference could possibly determine an illegal seizure regardless of his convict status.
    Just a guesson my part, he was probably openly consuming his liquid courage.

[line]

§ 4.1-322. Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by interdicted persons; penalty.

No person who has been interdicted pursuant to § 4.1-333 or § 4.1-334 shall possess any alcoholic beverages, except those acquired in accordance with subdivisions 1 through 5 of § 4.1-200, nor be drunk in public in violation of § 18.2-388.

Any interdicted person found to be in violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    How do we know that he was interdicted? I didnt see that in the article....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I don't.
    I said It was a guess on my part, but you must have missed that.
    If this makes you feel better.

It does say he had alcohol on him, my guess he was opening consuming it.

This is just conjecture on my part, since I wasn't there and the story doesn't give many details.

[line]

§ 18.2-388. Profane swearing and intoxication in public; penalty; transportation of public inebriates to detoxification center.

If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. In any area in which there is located a court-approved detoxification center a law-enforcement officer may authorize the transportation, by police or otherwise, of public inebriates to such detoxification center in lieu of arrest; however, no person shall be involuntarily detained in such center.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-237; 1960, c. 358; 1964, c. 434; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1979, c. 654; 1982, c. 666; 1983, c. 187; 1990, c. 965.)

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    You're right, I wasn't thinking.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    I don't.
    I said It was a guess on my part, but you must have missed that.
    If this makes you feel better.

It does say he had alcohol on him, my guess he was opening consuming it.

This is just conjecture on my part, since I wasn't there and the story doesn't give many details.

[line]

§ 18.2-388. Profane swearing and intoxication in public; penalty; transportation of public inebriates to detoxification center.

If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. In any area in which there is located a court-approved detoxification center a law-enforcement officer may authorize the transportation, by police or otherwise, of public inebriates to such detoxification center in lieu of arrest; however, no person shall be involuntarily detained in such center.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-237; 1960, c. 358; 1964, c. 434; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1979, c. 654; 1982, c. 666; 1983, c. 187; 1990, c. 965.)
    ok, must have missed that you were just guessing. Possession after interdiction and being under the influence are 2 different things. I thought perhaps there was another news article or something I missed...no matter.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Link?

Please always posts links to news items.
    Sorry Mike, I'll try to do better in the future. I seeDoug alreadycorrected that for me. Thanks Doug!

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    He might have been a juvenile charged as an adult.
    Or he could have been convicted but gotten probation. You don't have to actually go to prison to be a felon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast