• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Palin and her ...uh... rifle?

rodbender

imported post

You really need to read the comments. Some are pretty dang funny.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/10/how-did-newswee.html

How did Newsweek get Sarah Palin to pose with a rifle?

How did Newsweek convince Gov. Sarah Palin to pose with a rifle for its cover?

Simple. It didn't.

Instead, it used an archive (fancy speak for old) stock photo of her taken back in June 2002 and used it for the cover without her knowledge.

However, to the magazine's credit, it did not try to hide the fact that it's a stock photo, even printing circa 2002 on the cover and again referencing the date in Jon Meacham's editor letters entitled "The Palin Problem."

So that makes it OK.

Right? Or maybe not? What do you think?

Hey, is that even the right way to hold a rifle? Can't you shoot your foot off like that?

Just wondering.

canadian

imported post

I don't see the problem with using an archive photo. If nothing else, it looks better than this one:

article-1050880-02765B5200000578-929_468x286.jpg

FogRider

imported post

So, you're asking if it's ok to use an old, public picture of a public person, while specifically stating that is what you are doing? Yes. Yes it is.

MetalChris

imported post

Don't read the comments...or if you do make sure you have the duct tape handy.

David.Car

imported post

canadian wrote:
I don't see the problem with using an archive photo. If nothing else, it looks better than this one:

article-1050880-02765B5200000578-929_468x286.jpg

I disagree, if you don't photoshop out Mr. Cosdall (sorry if that is not correct, hard to read his tag) there I think that is a fantastic PR photo.

+1 on not rifle. First thing that went through my mind reading this thread was "that is not a rifle you idiot".

Very safe method of carrying a broken open shotgun.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Your foot is safe unless a meteor happens to hit the primer.
With the breach open, it is otherwise very unlikely to missfire, but
is vunerable to meteor impact held up this way. Also mars death rays.

Hey, lets not forget the great Tank photo of the dem candidate of years gone by.
If it wasn't for file stock life would get boring.

Just wish she would dump the other half of ticket so I can vote for her.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

rodbender wrote:

The top threein the right column are dead. Does that mean that Palin will be President? Hot damn, that sounds good to me.

Nope. It just means she's the retard of the group that can't even name a magazine she reads.

thorvaldr

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
rodbender wrote:

The top threein the right column are dead. Does that mean that Palin will be President? Hot damn, that sounds good to me.

Nope. It just means she's the retard of the group that can't even name a magazine she reads.
Nice! Stylish! But seriously, who in the 21st century wastes their time reading magazines? The MSM is just mad because she won't drink their kool-aid.

FogRider

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Nice! Stylish! But seriously, who in the 21st century wastes their time reading magazines? The MSM is just mad because she won't drink their kool-aid.
Most people still read at least one or two, and when asked can name at least a couple instead of stammering for ten seconds and saying "I'll have to get back to you on that".The problem with that particular incedent is not whether or not she reads magazines, it's that she can't give a straight answer to a simple question. If you don't read the, fine, just say "I don't read any".

M

mdgary

imported post

Maybe she reads the kind of magazines that don't need to be talked about.

FogRider

imported post

The say "I don't want to talk about it". It's really about the magazines, it's about Palin not being able to talk about anything but what is on her cue cards. Over and over, she sounds great when the interviews/speeches stay within the narrow, pre-defined boundaries set by her handlers. If you get her away from those, she can barely speak. Hell, she did the same thing in that travesty of a "debate" with Biden. As soon as a topic she wasn't comfortable with came up she stammered and steered it back to what she wanted to talk about.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

FogRider wrote:
The say "I don't want to talk about it". It's really about the magazines, it's about Palin not being able to talk about anything but what is on her cue cards. Over and over, she sounds great when the interviews/speeches stay within the narrow, pre-defined boundaries set by her handlers. If you get her away from those, she can barely speak. Hell, she did the same thing in that travesty of a "debate" with Biden. As soon as a topic she wasn't comfortable with came up she stammered and steered it back to what she wanted to talk about.

Yup. It takes a special person to make Bush sound intelligent.

I thought this was sad/funny/accurate...

palinflowchart.jpg

thorvaldr

imported post

I think we took a non gun turn with this magazine stuff but maybe I can pull us back. Hey, if she's supposed to be an NRA life member how come she doesn't read American Rifleman (or American Hunter, whatever). I like the articles, I don't just look at the pictures of guns.