• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC experience

eclipse13

imported post

I got my first pistol (Glock G23) on Thursday, and OCed for the first time Saturday. I am a photographer from Wilmington, NC and was on my way to photograph a wedding in Morehead, NC. I’m 21; 5’10”, 220lbs, and I have long hair (pass my shoulders). For the first 2 stops I was wearing khaki slacks and a brown Billabong T-shirt with my G23 in a black leather OWB holster on my right hip. First was Target (11am). I just needed to run in a grab a gift card. All in all I was in the store for less than 10 minutes. I honestly don’t think a single person even saw it. Everyone seemed oblivious. Next was about an hour when later I stopped at a Wendy’s for lunch. The line was quite long, and once again, it felt like no one even noticed, save for one girl. She was probably about 10 years old. I saw her look at the gun, and then look up at my face. Other than that it didn’t seem to faze her. I ate and left without a problem. I disarmed and left it locked in my glove box for the wedding. After the wedding I rearmed. At this point I had changed clothes. I was wearing khakis still, but now I was wearing a tucked in blue dress shirt. I went into Wal-Mart (12am) for a light bulb for my headlight. As before, no one even seemed to notice. Last stop was on the way home. My girlfriend, who was following me back to Wilmington, needed to stop for gas. We stopped at a well-lit gas station and I walked over to her car before going inside. As I opened the door for my girlfriend, an employee who was smoking out side said, “You aren’t going to rob us are you?” I smiled and said, “no ma’am.” She laughed and said “good, cause if you are, I’m leaving.” The rest of the stop went off without a hitch.
Overall, I was a little surprused at how mellow everyone is. I'm not sure if everyone was OK with it, or if they really were just that oblivious to the large chunk of metal on my hip. [/i]

Kivuli

imported post

I suspect they really are oblivious to it. Either that or they don't have the nerve to ask you about it. In the time I've been OCing I've gotten a few "Are you a cop?"s, one "Why do you need a gun, man?", one "Is that a Springfield?" (I carry a USP .45 fullsize), and one "Every time I see you in here I'm glad, because I know you have it for a good cause" from the security guard that works at the local Aldi.

This amongst the countless hundreds of thousands that have encountered me while carrying. Your experience sounds entirely typical to me, and welcome to open carrying!