• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty Holster at El Camino Community College

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

I wore my holster to school today and handed out Decoligny's "A pocket review of California Penal Code" to all curious students in my class. I only spent a few minutes after class as I had to leave for work, but I handed out all 20 fliers I brought! Everyone expressed great interest, and a few were spooked when they first saw my holster asking:
"Is that a gun?"
"No, it's just a holster."
"Wow, you scared me!"
But everyone left class that day with a pamphlet and an increased curiosity towards California gun laws... everyone except for my professor. When I handed him a pamphlet after he asked what we were doing:
"Here Mr. L, I have a overview of California gun laws"
"What is this? Hmm... oh my God... well I'll take this just so you have one less to hand out..."
"Mr. L, I have no intention of breaking the law or committing a crime, nor do I condone violence or illegal activity. As a libertarian, I support every lawful citizen's constitutional rights."
"If you say so..."

I didn't spend long on campus and I didn't have any issues with the campus police. However, tomorrow I will be on campus for 12 hours and I intend to spend many of them discussing lawful carry with my fellow students. I'm not feeling ready to open carry yet, but I will actively support our cause!

Also, I'd like to thank Mudcamper and Decoligny for their well written pamphlets.

Carry safely everyone.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

One thing I learned during my time in 'higher education' is that the teachers don't like much when their students have a mind of their own. You're supposed to hang on their every word and marvel at their educated-ness. Expect more opposition in that area. Just try not to let it discourage you.

Glad to hear you're out there educating the masses. Keep up the good work.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VigilanceOfFreedom wrote:
I didn't spend long on campus and I didn't have any issues with the campus police.
I'd hope not. All you are doing is flexing your 1A rights. And the public schools pretend to support the 1A, so they'd really show their hypocrisy if they tried to stop you.

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

True, but several students thought I has a gun when they saw my holster and I figured someone wouldn't ask me and instead just dial 911.

I handed out 70+ fliers today in my classes and to passing students, my professors all were astounded that I would be supporting open carry, but I suppose we all knew that would happen.
Also many of the girls on campus are taking great interest in the open carry movement and in the SCCC movement, which could very well be due to the recent sexual assault attempt in the parking structure.
All in all, including my profs five people spoke openly to me against open carry. Most were eager to learn about the laws and a few were disappointed that I did not have a gun on me.

On a side note, I'm drafting a letter to mail to the police chiefs and sheriff commanders in the Southern California Bay area notifying them of my intentions to open carry and of the laws in California. I'll post a rough draft before I send it out. I'm also going to include copies of the fliers I've downloaded. Do we have a flier that addresses LEO about open carry rights or should I consider sending a such a flier?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

On a side note, I'm drafting a letter to mail to the police chiefs and sheriff commanders in the Southern California Bay area notifying them of my intentions to open carry and of the laws in California. I'll post a rough draft before I send it out. I'm also going to include copies of the fliers I've downloaded. Do we have a flier that addresses LEO about open carry rights or should I consider sending a such a flier?

There are the two internal law enforcement memos:

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/SPD_oc_memo.pdf (discussed here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111324)

and

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=121589

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

Thank you mudcamper. I'm surprised to see police departments regarding open carriers as 'terrorists' though... they seem to regard the open carry movement as a conspiracy to sue the government for money. We'll need to get in contact with the chiefs of police and sheriff commanders and inform them of our legal and peaceful intentions.

Edit:
Quick question regarding locked carry of a firearm through the 1000 ft K-12 school zones. Can I carry my gun in a locked container on foot through a school zone, or does it have to be in the trunk of a vehicle? Thanks!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes, welcome Vigilance....

I have not been so active at school...but I am not sure the ELAC is ready for the education yet, that, and I have not gone back to school for other reasons.

I am trying to do what I can when I can. I do UOC, but that doesn't attract as much attention as you think.

I wish you luck, and you can of course OC on campus if you get your schools permission.

cato

imported post

Be sure to read the PC 626 Chapter in its entirety with a fine tooth comb. You're going to be drawing some attention to yourself (not that I see that as a problem) so know all the laws (even for knife length (pocket variety too) and pepper spray). Know the county and city weapon codes for your area. Know your schools policies. Don't give the other side anything to nail you on.

Make sure your vehicle is up to code (lighting, mirrors, danglely thingies from the rear view mirror, etc...)Carry a recorder at all times. Don't consent to searches.

Have fun...

I've always thought it would be neat to have an art exhibit of Oleg Volk's workon a campus.

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

Thank you for the warning cato, and I'm doing my best to be careful on campus. I was shocked to find out that "the student waives a constitutional right under the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution or under Section 13 of Article I of the State Constitution, or under state or federal constitutional provision guaranteeing a right to privacy, or any of them, is contrary to public policy and void." Even in a public school do we loose our constitutional rights...

Not much to report today, though it seems the biggest fear Californian's have in general is that people with guns cannot be trusted under any circumstances. This is my biggest problem when discussing lawful open carry as whenever I bring up a compelling counter to this fear (i.e. in the 40 other states with shall issue CCW or free open carry, there are no wild west shootouts; how can we trust the police with guns and not ourselves.. etc) these people will simply fall back onto their fear stating: "I don't think I can trust a person with a gun, it's just too dangerous."

How would you counter this argument?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

these people will simply fall back onto their fear stating: "I don't think I can trust a person with a gun, it's just too dangerous."

People that say that are the ones who can't be trusted. They say that because they know that they can't trust themselves. Read this article:

http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

That, or they've just bought into the anti-gun dogma without ever having thought about it long enough to realize their foolishness.

But to answer your question on how to counter the argument, ask them, if you had a gun in your hand all the time, would you be more violent, or less so?

a la http://www.a-human-right.com/views2.html

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"I don't think I can trust a person with a gun, it's just too dangerous."

So he can't trust a person because they have a gun. So if he didn't have a gun he could trust them?

I might suggest that he can attend a local range and get an education about guns, and people that own and use them.

cato

imported post

cato wrote:

If you want to make people think use Oleg's artwork. He plays on the "lefts" ideals to point out the hypocrisy of their anti-self defense stance and reliance on the State for protection.

Seriously, contact Oleg about using his artwork,poster size,in an exhibit, find some like minded individuals in your area and get the permission required to hold this on campus. Contact the media etc... print fliers... Slant it in a way to appeal to the sacred issues on colleges; women, minority, handicap and gayrights (wrapped in a 2nd A blanket!).

http://www.a-human-right.com/guncontrol.html