• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon Retention - Holster of Choice??

Gunny5821

imported post

Hello All,

I have a quick question.

Background:
My CCW & OC weapopn of choice is The Taurus Millennium PT145 PRO (3rd Generation), 3.25" barrel and loaded with 10 in the clip and one down the pike. The holster (OC) I purchased at the time I bought the handgun is Uncle Mikes "Sidekick Ambidextrous Hip Holster", with thumb Break.

Questions:
Q1. How important is Retention to you?
Q2. Would you sacrifice Retention for Good Looks?
Q3. CC & OC, do you view Retention differently depending on your mode of carry?
Q4. When you CC or OC, do you carry anything in addition to your Weapon and Holster?
Q5. Lastly, What holster do you use for CC and or OC (Please indicate weapon and holster)? Please explain your holsters method of Retention.

Thanks for all of the input I know I will receive....

Semper Fi!

Gunny :quirky

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:
Hello All,

I have a quick question.

Background:
My CCW & OC weapopn of choice is The Taurus Millennium PT145 PRO (3rd Generation), 3.25" barrel and loaded with 10 in the clip and one down the pike. The holster (OC) I purchased at the time I bought the handgun is Uncle Mikes "Sidekick Ambidextrous Hip Holster", with thumb Break.

Questions:
Q1. How important is Retention to you?
Q2. Would you sacrifice Retention for Good Looks?
Q3. CC & OC, do you view Retention differently depending on your mode of carry?
Q4. When you CC or OC, do you carry anything in addition to your Weapon and Holster?
Q5. Lastly, What holster do you use for CC and or OC (Please indicate weapon and holster)? Please explain your holsters method of Retention.

Thanks for all of the input I know I will receive....

Semper Fi!

Gunny :quirky
1. Very important

2. Looks mean nothing.

3. They are very different....Small of the back is a very good concealed carry spot and I wouldn't even consider it for OC.

4. Always a knife (most useful tool ever invented. In the burbs, a Taser, in the citys, Bear spray.

5. I'll leave that for others.

sitedzn

imported post

I agree with the serpa. However, good luck finding one for the 145. I have the same pistol (love it BTW) and I ended up finding a holster down at Dance's that fit it. Leather thumb break paddle holster. I'll have to run to the truck to get you the specs. I can remember that it isn't specifically for the 145 but for something else. Fobus makes a holster for it - what I use for IDPA (when I actually get around to going out there) but has no retention.

ETA: I just asked the guy to pull one off the shelf and let's go find one that fits! Just left Ft. Lee, so I didn't have mine on me.
DSCF0059.jpg

sitedzn

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
We usually recommend against paddle holsters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

IMO, if you allow someone to get that close and grab your gun like that, you deserve what you get. Situational awareness is your friend! It can get you out of more situations than your weapon ever will.

If I recall, that's a fobus in that vid.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

sitedzn wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

IMO, if you allow someone to get that close and grab your gun like that, you deserve what you get. Situational awareness is your friend! It can get you out of more situations than your weapon ever will.

If I recall, that's a fobus in that vid.
I agree, situational awareness is important of course. Sometimes, people can just get the jump on you regardless. Maybe you are carrying something, distracted, whatever the case may be.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
People ask us about holsters alot. We usually recommend against paddle holsters...
I disagree with that in part. It depends on what your carrying.

Since I tend to carry larger handguns, the paddles give a lot more support than a belt holster. It saves you from getting plumbers hip.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Retention holsters for OC are very important. Frankly, I don't see why they shouldn't be made mandatory for OC as they are for hundreds of thousands, the vast majority, of LEOs.

Some OCers always use retention holsters. They are exemplary gun guys.

I saw a video interview with John the other day wherein he said that OCers "traditionally use holsters with retention." I think he finessed the issue. Many don't. Wouldn't hurt to make it mandatory, either by law or practice. Would help, actually.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
It saves you from getting plumbers hip.

Is that anything like plumber's crack?

Same thing, different place. Small of the back carry=Plumbers Butt.

Point of the hip carry= Plumbers Hip
:shock:

Cross draw Taser+Strong side point of the hip handgun= Flashers Pants
:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
Retention holsters for OC are very important. Frankly, I don't see why they shouldn't be made mandatory for OC

Wouldn't hurt to make it mandatory, either by law or practice. Would help, actually.

Real Good Hank....Make MORE laws for me to ignore!:p

I always wore a seatbealt.....until it became mandatory!:uhoh:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

peter nap wrote:

What's the logic in that, pray tell?

I cannot grok why a rational person would do that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Who in Hell said I was Rational?

Marco

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Ths video is a good example why - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

I suggest something with a thumb break, at a minimum and one that keeps the gun in close to the body.

The holster in the video is a weak design that hasbeen corrected.

Besides we don't/ can't prove that theholster wasn't tampered with, those individuals might have an agenda.

I don't us a paddle or retention holster.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

peter nap wrote:
HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:

No one should...

But, still, what is the logic? How can you justify, first, wearing a seatbelt (indicating you saw personal benefits in doing so) for a period and then abruptlyeschewing those benefits when a safety law is passed to mandate the practice. That's really weird.

In addition to foregoing the benefits you enjoyed, by discontinuing seat belt usage you also added the risk of and enforcement against you with its attendant costs.

That's pretty wrong-headed. How do you justify that? How do you explain that to your family?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
HankT wrote:
peter nap wrote:

No one should...

But, still, what is the logic? How can you justify, first, wearing a seatbelt (indicating you saw personal benefits in doing so) for a period and then abruptlyeschewing those benefits when a safety law is passed to mandate the practice. That's really weird.

In addition to foregoing the benefits you enjoyed, by discontinuing seat belt usage you also added the risk of and enforcement against you with its attendant costs.

That's pretty wrong-headed. How do you justify that? How do you explain that to your family?
You wouldn't understand Hank. Your from Joisey!