• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, how good/bad is this ammo?

RedKnightt

imported post

So, I've asked this in a couple of other forums I'm on, and thought I would tap the collective body of knowledge that is our OCDO community. Over the weekend I lucked into a bunch of ammo at a bargain price. I picked up 800 rounds of this:

I've never had ammo like this before. My google-fu (and reading the box
smile.gif
) says this is a Western Super-Match X 185 grain full metal case clean cutting round. I believe this is what is called a semi-wadcutter round, good for target practice and possibly competitive shooting.

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo and wish to share their experience with this less-than-enlightened one?
--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

soloban

imported post

I've heard of WWII .45ACP ammo still shooting just fine. As long as the ammo looks clean and has been kept dry...I say shoot away.

If you're nervous you can always send me a box or two to test out :lol:

DocV

imported post

It is older ammo, but as Soloban said it should be good to go. I shotsimilar style of wadcutter/target ammo by Federal( it was called Gold Match or something like that). That particular bullet configuration is the only one that ever caused a FTF in my Sig P220. I would try it out and see how your pistol does with it. It does cut a a nice clean .45 inch hole in paper.

Happy shooting!

DocV

P.S. I would be glad to test it and see if the Western causes a FTF in my Sig. Just a box or two...:celebrate

RedKnightt

imported post

Y'all ever notice how many new friends appear when you suddenly have extra pizza, or money, or ammo? :lol:

Doc, I'd take you up on your offer, but I grew up in that Navy town you live in, and I know sailors. Silver leafs and all, it starts out with "just one magazine", then "let's just finish the box", and the next thing I know I wake up in the morning with an ammo can full of empty .45 brass, a headache, and 10 bucks is missing from my wallet to cover cab fare back to Little Creek.

:dude::celebrate:dude:

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

DocV

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Doc, I'd take you up on your offer, but I grew up in that Navy town you live in, and I know sailors. Silver leafs and all, it starts out with "just one magazine", then "let's just finish the box", and the next thing I know I wake up in the morning with an ammo can full of empty .45 brass, a headache, and 10 bucks is missing from my wallet to cover cab fare back to Little Creek.

:dude::celebrate:dude:

--RedKnightt--
I had the same thing (or at least something similar) happen in Thailand. :what:

spurrit

imported post

It sucks! Send it to me (postage paid, of course) for disposal.