• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encounter

WCrawford

imported post

At about 2:45 pm today, I witnessed a fairly bad accident (minor injuries and 2 totaled cars, third drivable) and called 911 to report it (nearly got caught up in it myself).

When the police arrived, a motorcycle officer looked at me and stated "Who are you and why do you have a gun?" I replied that I have a carry permit and he asked to see it. I barely got it out of my wallet when he asked me what happened with the accident.

I'm not sure if he'd have given me any grief if there wasn't an accident with minor injuries. He was polite and thanked me for my information and let me go on my way.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your post didn't sound like you were annoyed. I was thinking in terms of how others usually react about LEO's checking HCP.

Obviously, in this instance, the officer had more pressing issues to attend to, like taking statements from those involved in the wreck/witnesses and getting medical attention for those that needed it.

WCrawford

imported post

Exactly.

Those posts that I read about people being annoyed at having to show ID are generally from states that don't require it.

Here in TN, if a LEO asks for your HCP, you must show it to them. I'll find the statute when I return from the bar (not carrying, of course). :D

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Exactly.

Those posts that I read about people being annoyed at having to show ID are generally from states that don't require it.

Here in TN, if a LEO asks for your HCP, you must show it to them. I'll find the statute when I return from the bar (not carrying, of course). :D
I know we have to present our HCP here, when asked. I just carried today for the first time, after receiving my HCP. Didn't see any LEO's today. Lobelville doesn't have it's own PD (too small), SD usually has a deputy hanging around somewhere in town.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I know it can be annoying, but if the LEO's don't check for required permits (or ID), sooner or later the BG's will start OCing, without being caught.
Somehow I doubt that. Why don't criminals OC in states that don't require licenses (like most OC states).

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
I know it can be annoying, but if the LEO's don't check for required permits (or ID), sooner or later the BG's will start OCing, without being caught.
Somehow I doubt that. Why don't criminals OC in states that don't require licenses (like most OC states).

Currently, I don't think LE engages people that are CCing, because they may not be able to tell who is. BG's don't want to be engaged by LE.

But tht doesn't mean that the BG's won't start OC someday. Some may already OC, if they haven't started their criminal carreer, yet.

zrukman

imported post

I don't think the BG's will OC. Why would they want to call unwanted attention to themselves. They want to lurk in the shadows and blend into the crowd.

Palouse

imported post

zrukman wrote:
I don't think the BG's will OC. Why would they want to call unwanted attention to themselves. They want to lurk in the shadows and blend into the crowd.
Bingo. No license is required here in WA for open carry, but no criminal in his right mind would want to draw any more attention himself than necessary.

peanut

imported post

Strange enough, just last week an LEO asked me who I was and why I was carrying. I said that I am going to get my wallet, and moved slower and precise to my wallet and showed him my permit... then he shocked me... He said, ok... I don't need to know the other questions... thanks, have a good day. End of story. I was ok with it...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peanut wrote:
Strange enough, just last week an LEO asked me who I was and why I was carrying. I said that I am going to get my wallet, and moved slower and precise to my wallet and showed him my permit... then he shocked me... He said, ok... I don't need to know the other questions... thanks, have a good day. End of story. I was ok with it...
That's the way we would like to see it happen all the time. This LEO will know the next time he sees you that you are legal. I don't think it would be unexceptable, if say a year from now, you cross paths with this officer again and he wants to check tomake sure your HCP is still valid.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Kinda like when the cops start stopping people and checking passports just to make sure they're not illegal aliens.

crotalus01

imported post

I have never been asked for my HCP by a LEO, but honestly if one did ask I wouldnt have a problem with it as long as they werent a dick about it - it is a part of their job after all.

The constitutionality of states requiring a permit to carry OC or CC is another issue altogether.:banghead: