• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kahr P9 ammo?

smash29

imported post

I justadded a Kahr P9 to my ever-expanding arsenal and I was looking for some guidance about an appropriate self defense load.

I'll definitely be running a good number of rounds of my chosen ammunition through before carrying but I'm not all that sure of where to start my search. The loads I see are of the 115, 124, and 147 grain variety but being a relative newbie I'm not all that sure of the pros and cons of each. Carrying a relatively small 9mm I'd like to stack the odds in my favor as much as possibleand I figured this was as good a place as any to find some more enlightened opinions on the subject.

Gracias.

soloban

imported post

For CCW purposes, I'm using 125 Gr CorBons +P. Your Kahr can handle +P ammo so load up.

FWIW, my Kahr P9 hates Winchester White Box ammo. I usually use Remington Ammo for the range.

smash29

imported post

soloban wrote:
FWIW, my Kahr P9 hates Winchester White Box ammo. I usually use Remington Ammo for the range.

Ha, I have a box of WWB that I was gonna run thru it tomorrow, I'll see how it goes!

I'm pretty sure they have Corbon at the range so I'll check that out too. Thanks!

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

My Kahr 9mm's (K9 Elite '03 and P9 Covert) are loaded with Doubletap 147gr +P Gold Dots. I prefer the heavier slugs from shorter barrels, as they tend to lose less of a percentage of velocity over the faster, lighter rounds. Many defensive rounds are available in "Law Enforcement" packs (50 round box instead of 20 round box), which are a better value, and give you a chance to practice with what you carry more. Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST or Tactical Bonded JHP, or Winchester Ranger lines of ammo provide LE-spec ammunition at close to target ammo prices. I've carried all three brands (among others) and never had a bad experience with any.

Bottom line, though, find what is available locally for a decent price. Decide on a specific flavor and weight that you like, and practice with it (also proves the feed-reliability of your weapon with your specific load). If you can hit what you aim at, and your weapon functions reliably with it, any quality JHP load from a major manufacturer is going to perform very close to any other.

Marco

imported post

I only have one 9mm thatI shoot anymore and this ismy ammo of choice.
9mm Winchester Ranger, 127gr SXT +p+

Reliability in your gun and your ability to hit with it are the two most important factors.

Edit:
typo

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I only have one 9mm thatI shoot anymore and this ismy ammo of choice.
A note of caution, the Steel framed Kahr 9mms (T9/K9/MK9) are fine to +P+ ammo on a regular basis, the polymer ones would be beat up more than is necessary by using it. Regular +P is fine for all-the-time use, though.

Marco

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
A note of caution, the Steel framed Kahr 9mms +P+ ammo on a regular basis, the polymer ones would be beat up more than is necessary by using it.
That is good info for Kahr owners.
The 9mm I occasionally use isn't a Kahr, it is a H&K P7.