• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in Bellingham Parks

joz00

imported post

Disregard this if you knew this already, I did not.

So as I mentioned in another thread I wrote the City Attorney of Bellingham aletter informing them that their city ordinance (8.04.170) prohibitting firearms in parks was made void due to state premption (RCW 9.41.290).

I received a call today from the Assistant City Attorney who advised me that he was actually the one who had prosecuted the case last year with the individual arrested for carrying in a Bellingham Park. He informed me he had come to the same conclusion at that time and that was the reason the charges were dropped. He said he has spoken personally to the training officer at Bellingham PD and informed them that they cannot and should not arrest citizens carrying in Bellingham Parks. Moreover if there is a concern the Bellingham PD is to forward the case to him personally so he can ensure it gets handled appropriately.

He could not give mea time line on when the code would be removed from the Bellingham Municipal Code but did say it was on their agenda and asked me to call him back in a month to follow up. Needless to say I'll be doing so :)

Funny thing is he asked me at the beginning of the conversation if I was a concerned citizen or a gun rights activist ... I responded that I was both. As a concerned citizen I wanted to ensure our rights were not disregarded by politicians for whatever was politically expedient at the time. Its oddthat hethought the two were mutally exclusive. In any case I'm glad to know at least the prosecutingattorney realizes the citycode is not valid.

heresolong

imported post

joz00 wrote:
Funny thing is he asked me at the beginning of the conversation if I was a concerned citizen or a gun rights activist ...
He was probably just wondering if you were from the local area or a "hired gun" from outside.

Hope to see you at breakfast on Saturday.

joz00

imported post

Oops missed that thread :)Brady is the same person I spoke to btw. I guess it didn't hurt to keep bugging them about having that ordinance removed from the code.

Yea I'm looking forward to meeting you all. It's either breakfast a stones throw away or driving down to Bellevue to help my brother fix his car ... tough choice haha.