• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry not allowed at Knob Creek Gun Range

SIGfreed

imported post

I recently sent this e-mail to Knob Creek after being required to unload and secure my weapon before entering their facility for their semi-annual machine gun shoot and gun show.

First of all, thank you for a great weekend, I enjoyed both the shoot and the show. All of the staff was very helpful and pleasant.

Secondly I wanted you to know about some confusion I had. Everything that was said, read, portrayed, or implied was pro 2nd amendment. So you can imagine my question when asked to unload and secure my pistol prior to entering. How can you put on such an event promoting our right to "keep and bare arms" and then prevent law abiding citizens from legally exercising their right to carry a loaded firearm either openly or concealed, both of which are allowed in Kentucky? You seem to be implying that those who are fighting to keep our "right to bare arms" cannot be trusted with them. Not a good message to send to the anti-gun advocates.

A right unexercised is a right lost,
Deryl Westrate

Will post their reply when and if I get one.

autosurgeon

imported post

Yeah I would be interested in their reply as well! I know that at my local gun club they have a no loaded guns in the club house rule... I know it doesn't apply to CPL holders for their pistols only... I will have to ask the President of the club if it applies to a pistol in a holster OC...

I know the reason for the rule is that they had a shotgun discharge in the clubhouse a few years ago and a person got injured by flying glass from the window that got blown out...

Outside on the range or anywhere else on the property is fair game to OC or CC if you are a member ... None CPL holders who are guests can only OC.

Paul Volk

imported post

Yeah, last year at Knob Creek, they asked me to unload my pistol upon enteringand they strung a large zip tie through the mag well and through the action. I thought that was an odd rule myself.

You can buy guns there, buy ammo, and shoot your guns, but you can't carry a loaded and holstered gun. They don't allow loaded CC in there either. I ended up having to walk back to the car and put my pistol in a case in '06. I'm interested to see their reply to that e-mail though.

I missed the show this year, unfortunately. How was the turnout?

SIGfreed

imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
Yeah, last year at Knob Creek, they asked me to unload my pistol upon enteringand they strung a large zip tie through the mag well and through the action. I thought that was an odd rule myself.

You can buy guns there, buy ammo, and shoot your guns, but you can't carry a loaded and holstered gun. They don't allow loaded CC in there either. I ended up having to walk back to the car and put my pistol in a case in '06. I'm interested to see their reply to that e-mail though.

I missed the show this year, unfortunately. How was the turnout?

This was my first so I can only repeat what I was told about attendance. The number of people was comparable to years past. Show itself, I was told was much better (possibly trying to make up for the wash out in the spring). On Saturday they did 30 minutes of anything goes on the main range almost once an hour from 9:00 am until the night shoot.

I had a great time, but I can't help but feel if we can't trust one another how do we expect the sheeple to trust us?

Paul Volk

imported post

Interesting and partially related story:

Our church pastor gets a phone call from my father's cell phone on Saturday (11th). He hears my father's voice, but it's obvious he isn't talking into the phone. Then seven gun shots, and the call disconnects. Pastor Tim panics and calls my step-mother. She was outside gardening and did not have her cell phone on her. He then calls 911 and reports the call. They sent a female officer over to the house to inform her of the bad news (*they must not be very 'up' on investigating around here first*).

LEO: Are you Christine Volk?
SM : Yes.
LEO: IS your husband Leon Volk?
SM: Yes.
LEO: Do you know where he is?
SM: Yes.
LEO: You should probablyhave a seat because I have some bad news for you.
(Step mom collapses on the ground, heart racing, and eyes tearing up)
LEO: Your husband called your church pastor, and then there was gun fire, and the call ended. We don't know if he's OK or not.
SM: Well, he's in Kentucky at a machine gun shoot. Has anyone tried calling him yet?
(Officer looks puzzled.Step-mom isalready partially relieved at this point, and she calls his cell to conform he's fine.)

Turns out that he just got a new cell phone a week prior. It's a candy bar style phone, not a flip like he was used to. He forgot to lock the keypad and accidentally made a phone call with it in his pocket while watching the pistol competition.

Sorry to get off topic. Just wanted to tell a quick story that somewhat was related to Knob Creek.

SQLtables

imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
Interesting and partially related story:

Our church pastor gets a phone call from my father's cell phone on Saturday (11th).  He hears my father's voice, but it's obvious he isn't talking into the phone.  Then seven gun shots, and the call disconnects.  Pastor Tim panics and calls my step-mother.  She was outside gardening and did not have her cell phone on her.  He then calls 911 and reports the call.  They sent a female officer over to the house to inform her of the bad news (*they must not be very 'up' on investigating around here first*).

LEO:  Are you Christine Volk?
SM : Yes.
LEO:  IS your husband Leon Volk?
SM:  Yes.
LEO:  Do you know where he is?
SM:  Yes.
LEO:  You should probably have a seat because I have some bad news for you.
(Step mom collapses on the ground, heart racing, and eyes tearing up)
LEO:  Your husband called your church pastor, and then there was gun fire, and the call ended.  We don't know if he's OK or not.
SM:  Well, he's in Kentucky at a machine gun shoot.  Has anyone tried calling him yet?
(Officer looks puzzled.  Step-mom is already partially relieved at this point, and she calls his cell to conform he's fine.)

Turns out that he just got a new cell phone a week prior.  It's a candy bar style phone, not a flip like he was used to.  He forgot to lock the keypad and accidentally made a phone call with it in his pocket while watching the pistol competition.

Sorry to get off topic.  Just wanted to tell a quick story that somewhat was related to Knob Creek.

Now that's kinda funny.

So, the police break the bad news before investigating? I definitely think talking to his wife would be the right course of action, but it probably could have been handled a bit better. At least it made for an amusing story.

On topic: I think I'm on the fence about carrying at gun shows and the like. On one hand, I feel there should be no restrictions on where we can carry, but on the other, I know there are some people out there that could turn those rights around in a hurry by doing something stupid. Being at a gun show just seems like a temptation for those idiots to show of their new, holstered, and LOADED gun.

Paul Volk

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Now that's kinda funny.

So, the police break the bad news before investigating? I definitely think talking to his wife would be the right course of action, but it probably could have been handled a bit better. At least it made for an amusing story.

On topic: I think I'm on the fence about carrying at gun shows and the like. On one hand, I feel there should be no restrictions on where we can carry, but on the other, I know there are some people out there that could turn those rights around in a hurry by doing something stupid. Being at a gun show just seems like a temptation for those idiots to show of their new, holstered, and LOADED gun.

The crazy part is that this is the second "scare" in less than 3 months that she's had to endure. On my birthday (end of July), my father was involved in an airplane crash. She got that call in the middle of the night (as did I), and if her response was anything like mine, it was gut-wrenchingly horrible. Turned out he only had minor injuries and the plane was totalled of course. I don't know how many more 'bad news calls' she can take before she forces him to take a break from his hobbies. :p

I do see your point on carrying at the show. There is handfuls of guys that are there staring down the sights of a new gun, or trying on a new holster. It would make sense that if there's a high probability of several people handling unholstered firearms, that they would not want loaded firearms mixed in the crowd. It would only increase libability and the chances of an accident. The rules could be worse - that's for sure.

SQLtables

imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Now that's kinda funny.

The crazy part is that this is the second "scare" in less than 3 months that she's had to endure.  On my birthday (end of July), my father was involved in an airplane crash.  She got that call in the middle of the night (as did I), and if her response was anything like mine, it was gut-wrenchingly horrible.  Turned out he only had minor injuries and the plane was totalled of course.  I don't know how many more 'bad news calls' she can take before she forces him to take a break from his hobbies. :p

I do see your point on carrying at the show.  There is handfuls of guys that are there staring down the sights of a new gun, or trying on a new holster.  It would make sense that if there's a high probability of several people handling unholstered firearms, that they would not want loaded firearms mixed in the crowd.  It would only increase libability and the chances of an accident.  The rules could be worse - that's for sure.

I remembered this old thread about a similar issue:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/8548.html

I didn't reread it, but I believe they found that it was a VENDOR who had the ND...