• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North end Malls

bluer1

imported post

Anyone carry w/o problems in these malls? Or does anyone know the 'policy'? I just want to know before I'm approached by the white suits with state patrol hats (Anyone else get a good laugh out of those hats? I do every time, reminds me of drill instructors @ basic training/WSP) Also I have the Everett Mall security scanner freqs. if anyone out there is a scan-head like myself.

It should be legal in a mall right? I mean look at that goofball on a rampage in southcenter that was put down by a CC citizen. Don't flame me! I'm still getting used to this OC stuff!

David.Car

imported post

Each property has its own rules, not on that side of the state so I can't tell you for those specific locations.

It is in my experience that malls will have it posted in their conduct policy posted at the enterance.

Most malls are no firearm zones.

bluer1

imported post

So malls are a no-no then. If so are there other places I should be aware or that are not listed in the RCWs? I know the whole school, bar, courthouse, townhall, etc. thing, but anything not so obvious that might fall in there under the "policies like the mall" category?

Nebulis01

imported post

Everett has it posted as there #1 rule in the 'codes of conduct' on mall entrances. Note that if you come in via a third party store (MAcy's the theatre, AT&T or w/e that these codes are not posted even at the entrace to the malls from those stores.

Alderwood Mall as of August didn't have anything posted and quite a few of us have carried inside the mall without so much as a hiccup.

As far as I am aware the following malls do not allow weapons of any kind, regardless of permit unless you are an Law Enforcement Officer.

The Supermall
Tacoma Mall
Crossroads Mall
Everett Mall
Factoria (the one near SeaTac)

bluer1

imported post

You'd think they would have changed the rules in southcenter after that incident last year. I guess they haven't learned their lesson? That's the part that really bugs me, when you have someone that's intent on going on a rampage, do they stop at the security kiosk to inquire about firearm restrictions? No, they just run in and start shooting. The security doesn't carry guns, the cops will take a while to get there, just like they did last time, and meanwhile people are being shot. Defenseless.

David.Car

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
You'd think they would have changed the rules in southcenter after that incident last year. I guess they haven't learned their lesson? That's the part that really bugs me, when you have someone that's intent on going on a rampage, do they stop at the security kiosk to inquire about firearm restrictions? No, they just run in and start shooting. The security doesn't carry guns, the cops will take a while to get there, just like they did last time, and meanwhile people are being shot. Defenseless.
That is why I laugh at the "No Illegal Weapons" signs I see on occasion. A person carrying an illegal weapon, is not going to listen to your policies.

tricityguy

imported post

I laugh at all of their signs. I hate malls and try to avoid them, but when I have to be in a place that specifically calls itself a "gun free zone", you can bet your ass I carry anyway. Isn't it funny how most of these shootings happen in "gun free zones?" As far as I see it, I'm much more likely to need my weapon in such a place, so I'm damn well going to have it.

Note that I am NOT claiming to disregard state law. I don't carry in places where the law says I can't because I'm not interested in being arrested. Rather, I disregard stupid store policies, as the worst case scenario is I'm asked to leave and must comply to avoid a trespassing arrest. No big deal.

jbone

imported post

David.Car wrote:
That is why I laugh at the "No Illegal Weapons" signs I see on occasion. A person carrying an illegal weapon, is not going to listen to your policies.
You're right "No Illegal Weapons" sign isfunny, and since "my weapon is legal" I simple ignore the sign stating such

phoneguy

imported post

Does it really say no illegal weapons allowed in the Everett Mall?

kparker

imported post

I think lots of people are changing their wording to "No illegal weapons" in response to preemption concerns. To me, that's far inferior to the wording used by Pierce Transit from the Tacoma Municipal Code 8.25.020 that reads:

(A) A person is guilty of unlawful transit conduct if... he or she:
5. Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others; except that nothing herein shall prevent a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;

3/325

imported post

When you're scratching your head over a policy just ask yourself "what is the potential lawsuit here?" and that will usually explain everything.

By posting a "no guns" sign the property owners can absolve themselves of financial responsibility for a tragedy. "Hey, we posted those signs... you can't sue us."

heresolong

imported post

3/325 wrote:
When you're scratching your head over a policy just ask yourself "what is the potential lawsuit here?" and that will usually explain everything.

By posting a "no guns" sign the property owners can absolve themselves of financial responsibility for a tragedy. "Hey, we posted those signs... you can't sue us."
Presumably you mean that they are attempting to absolve themselves of responsibility. Actually the signs hold no legal weight whatsoever from a liability standpoint. It will be a good day when we can sue them for preventing us from protecting ourselves for a madman.

just_a_car

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Sooooo....Does that mean you can carry in those malls?
To answer the question you meant to ask: there is no law nor any legal ramifications to carrying concealed or openly in any mall in this state.

Now, if you do carry, they can choose to ask you to leave the property and you can leave and come back at your leisure; or you can refuse and they may trespass you. They could also trespass you from the property right off the bat; at which point if you don't leave or leave and come back, you are breaking the law and can be cited and/or arrested.