• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hollywood's View

DanM

imported post

Hollywood wrote:
I am new here and have been reading the posts for the better part of 3 hours, I have CC for the last 8 years and am 100% for people OC, I did see a few posts that I wanted to comment on especially when involved with LEO. (ex wife is LEO)

in smaller rural areas we still need to be careful of our surroundings, odds are if you go into a Big Boy after church on sunday there is little need for you to carry and you will just be terrifying the poodle heads that are just there for thier .25 senior coffee (rural small town America I am talking about)

Just because you can OC dosen't mean that LEO can't/wont detain you for questioning "without cause" and even then most LEO's are very tight knit and in a small community the last thing you want to be is "on the @#$% list" trust me there is such a thing!! and if any of you have seen themovie Super Troopers.....it really isn't that far off!! because they will pull you over for anything and everything they can, and lets face it they are trying to do thier jobs too, exercisising your rights is always a good thing, some common sence should also play into account. free speach is also a right but how many of you like to sit and listen toa mouthy @#$%?

That said in everyday life going to Wal-mart......well come to think of it especially going to Wal mart I carry, and most everywhere else. I would never give anyone a hard time for carrying. I personally CC because I can. I excercise my right to carry concealed, only because I found myself at the business end of my own M4 while my house was being robbed years ago "and I don't need a permit to buy when I go to gun shows anymore which is really really nice" so OC dosen't do anything for me personally, I have OC'd before a lot because I hip holster and when I take off my coat I am technically OC, I doapplaud each and every one of you though I have seen you OC guys out now and then and I am happy to see you when I do.

I think if some of you wanted to have a gathering in Grand Rapids I would be happy to come and OC. I have a new S&W .500 Magthat I am sure would get more than a few glances. holstered the barrel is just below my knee, "I am 6' tall"

you should have seen the Sheriff's face when I had it inspected

S- so what you need a gun this big for?

ME- Personal protection

S- From what?? Elephants?

ME- no crazy ex wifes "AKA his deputy"

ME- And boys that feel the need to date my daughters

ME- and the occasional watermelon or pumpkin that dares trespass in my yard

S- how you going to conceal this?

ME- I can just Open Carry

S- OOOOH, you are one of those guys now huh?

ME- Yep

Just use common sence please, a LEO will glady drive on if he sees a holstered weapon on a well dressed professional looking person. But if I saw someone with aweapon and a t-shirt that said who farted? greasy blue jeansand a sideways cap, I am sure I, and LEO would be doing a double take.

Not being sterotypical, just common sence. like I said ex wife is a deputy, and I am personal friends with sheriff, and many deputies.

God Bless guys, keep up the good work.

DanM

imported post

Hollywood wrote:
in smaller rural areas we still need to be careful of our surroundings, odds are if you go into a Big Boy after church on sunday there is little need for you to carry and you will just be terrifying the poodle heads that are just there for thier .25 senior coffee (rural small town America I am talking about)

I've been actively OC'ing for a couple of months now, and people around me don't act terrified. It's a brief stare, a glance, and then--ho hum--continue with life's business. If you read the OC reports here, it's all about what does NOT happen. In fact, pretty much the only overreactions are by LEOs.

lets face it they [LEOs]are trying to do thier jobs too, exercisising your rights is always a good thing, some common sence should also play into account. free speach is also a right but how many of you like to sit and listen toa mouthy @#$%?
Open carry is NOT to gun rights as "a mouthy @#$%" is to free speech rights. You are implying thatlawful open carryis equivalentin some way,sometimes,to being ana**hole. I reject your implied equivalence,consider it insulting, and suggest you take some refresher training on the right to keep and bear arms and the quality of those who responsibly exercise it in whatever form they choose.

Further you imply that there may be something not in accordance with "common sense" sometimes with respect to open carry. Please get detailed and defend that position, or admit thatthere is nothing about responsible open carry in any way or in any situation which contradicts common sense.

As far as LEOs doing their jobs, for every job there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. LEOs harassing lawful open carriers aregoing about their job in the wrong way, so don't blame the victim . . . blame the perpetrator.

Other than those challenges to your ideas, thank you for your indication of support for OC, and I hope to see you at a gathering some time!

Welcome aboard!

SQLtables

imported post

Hollywoods other view:

See that post up above me?

that was my first post.

This ones my last.

you are a real friendly bunch.

Tables maybe when you get some fuzz on your nutts or actually see a woman naked

you will lose some of your hostility.

until then.....

Peace.