• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Pamphlet

warlockmatized

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Has anyone made up a one page printoff pamphlet like the one at http://www.paopencarry.org/downloads.html ?? Cuz I think it's a great tool and would love to be able to shoot off a bunch to carry around with me.

If no one has made one up for Michigan I'd appreciate input on what people think should go into it and I'll see what I can whip up.
There is a wallet card floating around I believe. Don't quote me on that one though. It might still be in the production phase.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

I have started one, pretty much just used the info from the two page version in the introductory threads. The idea was to ultimately get a quote from a printer to have a nice heavy-weight color version made up.

I have been stalled for a while on this though, anyone else working on something similar?

Shadows

imported post

I have a family member thathas a printing business. I'm sure I could get him to print anything you'd want reasonably. He does a lot of high volume printing. :cool:

JeffSayers

imported post

Shadows wrote:
I have a family member thathas a printing business. I'm sure I could get him to print anything you'd want reasonably. He does a lot of high volume printing. :cool:
Great opportunity here everyone! A full color tri-fold brochure would really add an impression of credibility to our efforts. Does anyone have anything formatted?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Shadows wrote:
Great opportunity here everyone! A full color tri-fold brochure would really add an impression of credibility to our efforts. Does anyone have anything formatted?
I can work on something, but cost is an issue, and is this something that will be tossed in the trash after the person gets the info he needs. I'm all for it, just thinking about what the goal of the brochure is, who will pay for it and what are we selling???? I one sheet handout that we have is serving the purpose, but if we can get them done for free or at very low cost let's do it.

shox rox ice

imported post

I haven't read through every detail but it is well organized. I have some desktop publishing experience and would be happy to make this look a little more professional if we plan on taking this further.

I think as far as purpose goes, it is great to have the information ready and available for anyone that wants it - be that a curious citizen who sees you while OCing, a police officer who stops you, friends and family, for yourself to remind you to be vigilant to keep up to date with the laws and regulations (or lack thereof :D )

If we did have a connection in printing, we could easily print of a few hundred opies for pretty cheap and if we ever need more we could carry through with printing more.

JeffSayers

imported post

Gosirr wrote:
Im working on one. Tell me what you think. This is what I got so far.

The tri-fold layout is great.

A thought for if/when we have this printed, if the folding is done by the printer manually, we might save alot of $s by folding them ourselves.

?= Is it possible to reduce the text size and include some sort of FAQ such as below? Just my $0.02; and you might get a nickel refund on the right day!

WHY OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM?
To protect yourself
To protect your family
To protect your neighbor
To protect your rights
WHY NOT JUST CARRY CONCEALED?
If you under 21 you cannot obtain a CPL.
Some situations/conditions are conducive to open carry
Open carry is proactive rather than reactive
WON’T I BE A TARGET IF I OPEN CARRY?
It sounds logical, but a case has never been documented
Like locking your doors, the crook finds an easier victim
WON’T THIS BEHAVIOR SCARE PEOPLE?
A firearm in a holster is nothing to fear
Truth is, most people are too preoccupied to even notice
Police departments know how to address a worried caller

warlockmatized

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:
Gosirr wrote:
I like it. One suggestion, how about a legal disclaimer some where on it?
The disclaimer is there, it is at the bottom enter of the first page (bottom of the back page when printed).
I see it now, my bad. Must be the old timers kicking in.

JeffSayers

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:
Gosirr wrote:
I like it. One suggestion, how about a legal disclaimer some where on it?
The disclaimer is there, it is at the bottom enter of the first page (bottom of the back page when printed).
I see it now, my bad. Must be the old timers kicking in.
Don't worry, it sounds like it's just part-timers right now!

SQLtables

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Gosirr wrote:

The tri-fold layout is great.

A thought for if/when we have this printed, if the folding is done by the printer manually, we might save alot of $s by folding them ourselves.

?= Is it possible to reduce the text size and include some sort of FAQ such as below? Just my $0.02; and you might get a nickel refund on the right day!

WHY OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM?
To protect yourself
To protect your family
To protect your neighbor
To protect your rights 
If  you under 21 you cannot obtain a CPL.
It sounds logical, but a case has never been documented
A firearm in a holster is nothing to fear

I'm just being picky, but I don't think we're at this point yet.

Other than that, I think it looks good aside from a few spelling and grammatical errors. I can be more specific if you want, but spell check should catch most of it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I have these comments so far. Use or ignore as you see fit.

My Comments:
Change: 18 years old or older.
Safety Inspection will be out-dated as of January 2009. Change to legally registered in Michigan.
This needs to be reworked.
WHY OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM?[/b]
[/b]To protect yourself
To protect your family
To protect your neighbor
To protect your rights
WHY NOT JUST CARRY CONCEALED?[/b]
[/b]Ifyou are under 21 you cannot obtain a CPL.
WON’T I BE A TARGET IF I OPEN CARRY?[/b]
[/b]It sounds logical, but a case has never been documented
WON’T THIS BEHAVIOR SCARE PEOPLE?[/b]
[/b]A firearm in a holster is nothing to fear
The question is why OC? The answers given can be done with CC, so why OC?
Change:
Why OC?
Faster draw.
More comfortable in warm weather.
Larger capacity handgun.
Crime deterrent.

I would delete this question all together

There is no documented evidence that this has happened to a citizen while open carrying a handgun. Data shows that criminals avoid victims they know are armed.
Of the thousands of hours people have OCed in Michigan we have found that no one reacts in a hysterical manner. Our data suggest most times a 911 call is made is by an off- duty police officer. Most police encounters are instigated by officers themselves and complaints were not by the public.

b1776

imported post

depending on how much it costs, having them prefolded might be worth it. Getting a piece of paper precisely folded by hand, the exact same way each time, would be a pain, IMHO. I gues we'll have to wait for cost quotes.

BTW, I think this brochure is an excellent idea :)