• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new gun- Taurus pt92

hammer6

imported post

who has one of these? and what do you think? i pick it up on friday

ODA 226

imported post

I had one years ago and prefered it over the Beretta 92 because of it's single action carry option.

Good all-around gun with reasonable accuracy and reliability. A little heavy for everyday carry, but still a good choice for a economy firearm.

squisher

imported post

That's my carry gun, although if I were to buy one now I'd probalby go for a PT917 -- basically the same but 20+1 capacity :shock:

All in all, a very competent shooter, and 17+1 is still pretty nice. I got mine in stainless, you?

holster.jpg

And yes, I have since replaced that belt :p

hammer6

imported post

nice. well actually, me and my parents all went in for our CWL together, and decided to buy one gun that we all thought felt good in our hands. i don't have the money to buy a gun this month, but plan on it next month. we bought the pt92 in black (it says blue but it's black). my likes the springfield armory mdX???? becuase it's a 19+1 capacity. bigger is better..haha...but for this gun we're going to use it for now to get accustomed to shooting regularly and we will each purchase our own carry weapons....we had a .38 sp sitting around the house for God knows how long, probably 10 years, and just took it out for the first time a few weeks ago....i'm not for Barack Obama, and he has shown opposition to the 2nd ammendment, so we decided now was a good time to invest...

squisher

imported post

The 92 looks good in the "blue" too, I just wanted the stainless so I don't have to ever worry about corrosion ;)

Actually the 92 looks that much "meaner" in the blue. You're going to like it, it's a nice shooter, manageable recoil and pretty easy to get back on target for a follow-up, although I'm kinda wishing I sprung for the PT99 (PT92 + adjustable sights), but the 92 is a good buy.

I think I've run approximately 1000 rounds through mine, and the only issues I've seen are a couple of Failures to Eject caused by "limp-wristing" or a crappy mag (I have a couple of 30 rnd aftermarkets I use on the range ONLY) -- easily cleared by racking the slide.

Most of what I've put through it have been Winchester White Box, but I have run 250 rnds of UMC through it and they were just fine. Next time I'm at a gun show I'll pick up a few different brands to see, but it doesn't appear to be very sensitive to ammo.

*edited for grammar

hammer6

imported post

that's good. i don't know how much you are paying for ammo, but at Wal-Mart it's 8.99 per 50rd box...

squisher

imported post

locally WWB is ~$22 for 100 count

Was 1/2 that the last time I bought any (I bought 4 boxes then). I'm thinking about getting into reloading for 9mm! Crazyness!