Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open carry rifles and shotguns?

Post imported post

Is it legal to walk around with a rifle or a shotgun?

Post imported post

in what state are we talking about?

Post imported post

PA

Post imported post

I've thought before about OCing one of these:

you can even get the matching holster:

but honestly, I couldn't tell you. a Pa resident could probably clue you in, but since IIRC Pennsylvania doesn't have preemption, then it may be legal in some cities and against the law in others...

Post imported post

Hey... What exactly is that little shotgun? I like it! That would be a fun gun to add to the arsenal, I think....

Post imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
    Hey...Â* What exactly is that little shotgun?Â* I like it!Â* That would be a fun gun to add to the arsenal, I think....
    Serbu Super Shorty

Post imported post

its an AOW which means a $5 tax stamp instead of the $200 for a short barrel shot gun

Post imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
    its an AOW which means a $5 tax stamp instead of the $200 for a short barrel shot gun
    "AOW"?
    Sorry, showing some ignorance...

Post imported post

AOW....Any Other Weapon.....covers blank areas.

Post imported post

I've seen a person walking around with a tactical shotgun in Virgina. He walked right in front of a LEO and nothing was said.

Post imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
    I've thought before about OCing one of these:

you can even get the matching holster:

but honestly, I couldn't tell you. a Pa resident could probably clue you in, but since IIRC Pennsylvania doesn't have preemption, then it may be legal in some cities and against the law in others...
    I would guarantee, beyond any reasonable doubt, that that shotgun would get everybody's attention in no time!! I do think some of our less-brilliant LEOs would give you some grief about it, though.

Guess what I now want for Christmas??!!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    AOW....Any Other Weapon.....covers blank areas.
    Hmmm... First let me say that I am in Texas, so my questions are based here...
    Since it is an 'AOW' would it be considered a hand gun or a long gun? Could it be legally carried? Or is it 'not allowed' by Texas law? I'm seeing grey area that could work in a number of ways (some good some bad) If it isn't a hand gun according to Texas, then I should be able to OC it, right? But it is shorter than the minimum shot gun length, but never having had a stock, it isn't a shotgun, so that doesn't coun't...
    Anybody know the approximate cost on one of these... I am really getting intrigued by it!

**EDIT**
    I found the price.... the rest of the questions still stand however. Need to know some of this before forking over $700...

Post imported post

Those are smooth bore pistols according to the BATFE, that's why they are an AOW and not a short barrel shotgun. I don't know what Texas considers them.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

I would not walk around carrying a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun).

Here's the reason:

A handgun is primarily a defensive weapon. When you strap on a handgun, you are not looking for a fight. Your handgun is a tool for defending yourself against unexpected threats. When you carry a handgun, you're not looking for trouble... you are peacefully going about your way.

A long gun is primarily an offensive weapon. If you carry a loaded long gun, an assumption can be made that you're going to start a fight.

Post imported post

I stated this in another thread, but I don't think it so much matters WHAT you carry, but moreso HOW you carry. If the weapon is in your hand then it is offensive but 'holstered/slung and secured then it is defensive. In the case of a long gun, slung across your back is non threatening as opposed to in hand or 'butt slung' under arm.
    Even when 'in hand' if you are carrying one hand 'casual' vs up right or 2 hand can make a considerable amount of difference in perception.
    A hip or shoulder holstered hand gun is perceived as less threatening than an open belly carry...
    Attitude and appearance are everything...

Post imported post

Yes in that LG carry can be considered either way.

Even someschool kids in Israel carry long guns and it is considered defensive. I read not too long ago...Montana rural school...???...where some kids had long guns slung on their shoulders going and coming from school as a defense against Grizzlies.

Post imported post

I remember when we first got a security guard in school him being nervous because many of us kept rifles in our pickups (often in the gun rack) especially during hunting season... It took him a while to get used to it, but he finally did and then only got nervous when one of us got into an 'altercation'. I remember many who almost always had a firearm in their vehicle, and I can't remember a single incident of any of them ever being pulled out much less used!

Post imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
    On top of the actual costs of manufacturing the gun, you pay for a 200 dollar tax for them to make it, and a 5 dollar fee to transfer it. Given the fact that you could saw down an existing pump shot gun, pay the 200 tax to do so, and put whatever stock configuration you wanted on it since it would be an SBS instead of an AOW, I don't think those things make any sense unless you live in an oddball state like Michigan that only allows AOW''s and not SBS's. It's simply a waste of money to buy a pre made AOW shotgun.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

From what I've read the $200 tax never applies as the gun is never a 'shotgun' when manufactured as opposed to one that is modified. Only the $5 transfer fee. If you know differently could you please cite? I'm not trying to be aggressive... I am truly curious as the link provided above (granted it is wickipedia) says differently...

Post imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
    If you carry a loaded long gun, an assumption can be made that you're going to start a fight.
    You know what they say about assumptions....

IMHO the difference between a handgun and a long gun, in the eyes of many LEOs, is that you are better armed than they are.

Long guns are better in many situations, but are more of a pain to carry in some public places.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

i Love my Shorty...

Post imported post

Mark Serbu had the 1st one I had seen at the Creek a couple or so years ago. He was fast getting it out of his holster too.

Post imported post

im gonna get one of those AOW shortys soon if funds allow

Post imported post

Oooohh.... Shiny!!!!!
    Dang it.... Now that means that I want TWO of them... one standard matte black, and one SHINY!!!
    This gun reminds me of the one that 'Mississippi' got in 'El Dorado'!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast