• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry rifles and shotguns?

Thundar

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
If you carry a loaded long gun, an assumption can be made that you're going to start a fight.
You know what they say about assumptions....

IMHO the difference between a handgun and a long gun, in the eyes of many LEOs, is that you are better armed than they are.

Long guns are better in many situations, but are more of a pain to carry in some public places.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Oooohh.... Shiny!!!!!
Dang it.... Now that means that I want TWO of them... one standard matte black, and one SHINY!!!
This gun reminds me of the one that 'Mississippi' got in 'El Dorado'!

TheMrMitch

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Oooohh.... Shiny!!!!!
Dang it.... Now that means that I want TWO of them... one standard matte black, and one SHINY!!!
This gun reminds me of the one that 'Mississippi' got in 'El Dorado'!
Yeah...he got the sign first shot....HehHeh:lol:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hey! I know a few that shoot about like Mississippi.... They are only allowed to have shotguns, and only during bird season, and only when we place them where they can't shoot us!!!!
(Ok... they aren't quite that bad, but...)

SFCRetired

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Hey! I know a few that shoot about like Mississippi.... They are only allowed to have shotguns, and only during bird season, and only when we place them where they can't shoot us!!!!
(Ok... they aren't quite that bad, but...)

I know a few like that who are that bad and who aren't trusted with anything more dangerous than a SuperSoaker!!!

shad0wfax

imported post

I have open-carried loaded long-arms in my state before with no issues, because it is legal to do so.

However, loaded longarms are illegal for all but law-enforcementin vehicles where I live, so I'm careful never to bring a loaded long-arm into a vehicle.

AbNo

imported post

Well, according to the law, I OC'd an AR-15 around Harrisonburg, and spent probably an hour reading in Barnes & Noble with it. No one said anything, or even noticed.

Then again, most people don't know what a stripped lower receiver looks like. :lol:

shad0wfax

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, according to the law, I OC'd an AR-15 around Harrisonburg, and spent probably an hour reading in Barnes & Noble with it. No one said anything, or even noticed.

Then again, most people don't know what a stripped lower receiver looks like. :lol:

:lol:

It'd be pretty hard to defend your life with a stripped lower though.

opusd2

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
I remember when we first got a security guard in school him being nervous because many of us kept rifles in our pickups (often in the gun rack) especially during hunting season... It took him a while to get used to it, but he finally did and then only got nervous when one of us got into an 'altercation'. I remember many who almost always had a firearm in their vehicle, and I can't remember a single incident of any of them ever being pulled out much less used!
It's a different world. When I was in grade school and high school we used to carry our guns to school so we could hunt afterwards, or if we had to shoot for phy ed. But that was also quite a while ago. I feel sorry for kids now since they have a lot of political weinie BS to put up with.

shad0wfax

imported post

opusd2 wrote:

It's a different world. When I was in grade school and high school we used to carry our guns to school so we could hunt afterwards, or if we had to shoot for phy ed. But that was also quite a while ago. I feel sorry for kids now since they have a lot of political weinie BS to put up with.

My grandpa used to walk to school wth a .22 LR and keep it in the coat closet in the classroom so he could hunt squirrels on the way home.

To contrast that, 40 years later (in the 1980s), I constructed a mobile made of fired rifle cartridges (with the spent primer left in place) with bullets seated in the empty cases (no powder present). When I brought it to my Middle School, the teacher freaked out and I had to educate the school principle about inert cartridges and how they were not live ammunition. He didn't believe me, so a Sherriff Deputy had to confirm it for me.

Things are even worse for kids now. I wouldn't be surprised ifan inert cartridge mobile could get a kid expelled or even charged with a crime if it was brought to a Jr High.

opusd2

imported post

I love the new definitions of crime, from carrying a butter knife and having a dangerous weapon, to having a few Aspirin and being hit with a controlled substance charge. Pure lunacy. I'd think the problem with gangs and pedophile teachers would be worse.

I know of an example where a student DID bring a loaded sidearm to grade school many years ago but don't know the outcome of the situation. It was the son of a state trooper and I do remember it wasn't made to be much of a big deal. Great double standards in the small community I grew up in.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Hey!,

This topic is just what I am trying to do here in Sacramento. I am going to open carry a rifle from my house to the shooting range which is several miles from here. Also, I should mention I plan to walk the distance both directions. I plan to notify the Law enforcement orgs just prior to leaving, so when they get "man with a gun" calls they can ask the callers. "what is he wearing".

Might be an interesting trip the first time. the route takes me through some industrial business areas, office buildings, residential areas, and even right through a closed, converted civilian use military base. the last couple miles will be more rural.

The rifle will be unloaded. I may take rifle only the first time, and purchase ammo at the range. Depending on how it goes, I hope to take ammo the next time also.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member

tedwitt

imported post

I don't know about carrying it around in Texas but to be legal in Texas, a shotgun must have a 18 inch barrel, close the chamber and put the tape down the barrel without ammo and it must be at least 18 inches, mine is 18 1/8. Overall length must be 26 inches, mine is 27

CDAT

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
From what I've read the $200 tax never applies as the gun is never a 'shotgun' when manufactured as opposed to one that is modified. Only the $5 transfer fee. If you know differently could you please cite? I'm not trying to be aggressive... I am truly curious as the link provided above (granted it is wickipedia) says differently...
This is what I was told when I was looking to buy one last year in WA right before I deployed, so did not do it then (will when I get home) but I did buy a suppressor from same company so I believe that they know what they are talking about. Also who makes the holster for this? I need to get one of them after I get the gun.

Michigander

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Things are even worse for kids now. I wouldn't be surprised ifan inert cartridge mobile could get a kid expelled or even charged with a crime if it was brought to a Jr High.
When I was in High School I wore a necklace made of 45 ACP casings. No one ever cared, but then most were probably too stupid to even know what the brass thingies were.

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

i live in az and you can carry any legal weapon.
i know of a man that walks down main street with an ar15 and a bandoleer of ammo.
my cop friend says they get 25calls a day usualy and that the station knows the guy and they dont care.

my and my bud have carried our ars threw his neighbor hood no problems yet

acctualy i got more hassel for my assault vest then i did the guns i was carrying go fig