• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry rifles and shotguns?

unreconstructed1

imported post

I've thought before about OCing one of these:
super_shorty_870.jpg

you can even get the matching holster:

thigh_holster.jpg

but honestly, I couldn't tell you. a Pa resident could probably clue you in, but since IIRC Pennsylvania doesn't have preemption, then it may be legal in some cities and against the law in others...

rmodel65

imported post

its an AOW which means a $5 tax stamp instead of the $200 for a short barrel shot gun

Don Barnett

imported post

I've seen a person walking around with a tactical shotgun in Virgina. He walked right in front of a LEO and nothing was said.

SFCRetired

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
I've thought before about OCing one of these:
super_shorty_870.jpg

you can even get the matching holster:

thigh_holster.jpg

but honestly, I couldn't tell you. a Pa resident could probably clue you in, but since IIRC Pennsylvania doesn't have preemption, then it may be legal in some cities and against the law in others...

I would guarantee, beyond any reasonable doubt, that that shotgun would get everybody's attention in no time!! I do think some of our less-brilliant LEOs would give you some grief about it, though.

Guess what I now want for Christmas??!!

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
AOW....Any Other Weapon.....covers blank areas.:)
Hmmm... First let me say that I am in Texas, so my questions are based here...
Since it is an 'AOW' would it be considered a hand gun or a long gun? Could it be legally carried? Or is it 'not allowed' by Texas law? I'm seeing grey area that could work in a number of ways (some good some bad) If it isn't a hand gun according to Texas, then I should be able to OC it, right? But it is shorter than the minimum shot gun length, but never having had a stock, it isn't a shotgun, so that doesn't coun't...
Anybody know the approximate cost on one of these... I am really getting intrigued by it!

**EDIT**
I found the price.... the rest of the questions still stand however. Need to know some of this before forking over $700...

jeeper1

imported post

Those are smooth bore pistols according to the BATFE, that's why they are an AOW and not a short barrel shotgun. I don't know what Texas considers them.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I would not walk around carrying a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun).

Here's the reason:

A handgun is primarily a defensive weapon. When you strap on a handgun, you are not looking for a fight. Your handgun is a tool for defending yourself against unexpected threats. When you carry a handgun, you're not looking for trouble... you are peacefully going about your way.

A long gun is primarily an offensive weapon. If you carry a loaded long gun, an assumption can be made that you're going to start a fight.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I stated this in another thread, but I don't think it so much matters WHAT you carry, but moreso HOW you carry. If the weapon is in your hand then it is offensive but 'holstered/slung and secured then it is defensive. In the case of a long gun, slung across your back is non threatening as opposed to in hand or 'butt slung' under arm.
Even when 'in hand' if you are carrying one hand 'casual' vs up right or 2 hand can make a considerable amount of difference in perception.
A hip or shoulder holstered hand gun is perceived as less threatening than an open belly carry...
Attitude and appearance are everything...

TheMrMitch

imported post

Yes in that LG carry can be considered either way.

Even someschool kids in Israel carry long guns and it is considered defensive. I read not too long ago...Montana rural school...???...where some kids had long guns slung on their shoulders going and coming from school as a defense against Grizzlies.:)

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I remember when we first got a security guard in school him being nervous because many of us kept rifles in our pickups (often in the gun rack) especially during hunting season... It took him a while to get used to it, but he finally did and then only got nervous when one of us got into an 'altercation'. I remember many who almost always had a firearm in their vehicle, and I can't remember a single incident of any of them ever being pulled out much less used!

Michigander

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
its an AOW which means a $5 tax stamp instead of the $200 for a short barrel shot gun
On top of the actual costs of manufacturing the gun, you pay for a 200 dollar tax for them to make it, and a 5 dollar fee to transfer it. Given the fact that you could saw down an existing pump shot gun, pay the 200 tax to do so, and put whatever stock configuration you wanted on it since it would be an SBS instead of an AOW, I don't think those things make any sense unless you live in an oddball state like Michigan that only allows AOW''s and not SBS's. It's simply a waste of money to buy a pre made AOW shotgun.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

From what I've read the $200 tax never applies as the gun is never a 'shotgun' when manufactured as opposed to one that is modified. Only the $5 transfer fee. If you know differently could you please cite? I'm not trying to be aggressive... I am truly curious as the link provided above (granted it is wickipedia) says differently...