• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry rifles and shotguns?

hammer6

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
I've thought before about OCing one of these:
super_shorty_870.jpg

you can even get the matching holster:

thigh_holster.jpg

but honestly, I couldn't tell you. a Pa resident could probably clue you in, but since IIRC Pennsylvania doesn't have preemption, then it may be legal in some cities and against the law in others...
just saw that gun at my gun show in tampa- great gun.

Turdcutter

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
I remember when we first got a security guard in school him being nervous because many of us kept rifles in our pickups (often in the gun rack) especially during hunting season... It took him a while to get used to it, but he finally did and then only got nervous when one of us got into an 'altercation'. I remember many who almost always had a firearm in their vehicle, and I can't remember a single incident of any of them ever being pulled out much less used!

Gator, it sounds like your high school experience was similar to mine. I went to high school in a TX suburb back in the 80's and the teachers and staff did not have issues with rifles or shotguns that were in the gun rack in the back window. A lot of guys would go hunting in the morning before school and even show up to school in camo.

I guess the law changed at some point because a kid can now get caught with a pocket knife, and because of "zero tolerance" can be suspended or expelled.

Times have changed.

-CT

opusd2

imported post

Turdcutter wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:
I remember when we first got a security guard in school him being nervous because many of us kept rifles in our pickups (often in the gun rack) especially during hunting season... It took him a while to get used to it, but he finally did and then only got nervous when one of us got into an 'altercation'. I remember many who almost always had a firearm in their vehicle, and I can't remember a single incident of any of them ever being pulled out much less used!

Gator, it sounds like your high school experience was similar to mine. I went to high school in a TX suburb back in the 80's and the teachers and staff did not have issues with rifles or shotguns that were in the gun rack in the back window. A lot of guys would go hunting in the morning before school and even show up to school in camo.

I guess the law changed at some point because a kid can now get caught with a pocket knife, and because of "zero tolerance" can be suspended or expelled.

Times have changed.

-CT
Same here, I went to high school in the 80's and had a blast. I always carried my bow or a shotgun in my truck and would hunt on the way to or way back from school. Then again, we weren't allowed pop in our lockers and I was busted more than once for that, but I did carry a jack knife since kindergarten and have since. Still do in fact. I have no idea how I will teach my son to live since he can't live as free as I once did. He won't be taught to be afraid of living though.

It's amazing how kids in gangs will be coddled by the extreme left under the guise that they weren't given enough chances while growing up, while a straight kid who grew up poor on the farm is tossed to the wolves the moment he has to see a judge for a stupid lapse of judgment. I have no pity for those who want to live that inner city life as a gang banger.

Where the hell does common sense hide during the raising of those who want to take from the rest of us? And why is it that those of us with it have to comply with an order to be "politically correct" so we don't offend those that want to live their lives as a 'hyphenated-American' or other BS label that just stands to separate themselves from everyone else? An American is an American, and that's how it should be.

Sorry, I've been lacking sleep lately as my little boy hasn't been feeling well. Although I mean what I say, I don't mean to sound like a ranting fool.

opusd2

imported post

That reminds me of the Bruce Campbell movie "Army of Darkness"! That was a fun movie, and if I remember correctly he had a scabbard on his back for his sawed off double barrel shotgun.

Turdcutter

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
...but I did carry a jack knife since kindergarten and have since. Still do in fact. I have no idea how I will teach my son to live since he can't live as free as I once did. He won't be taught to be afraid of living though.

When I was a kid, the day that your dad gave you your pocket knife was a great day. My dad told me in 3rd grade that I was responsible enough to start carrying one, and I've carried a knife ever since.

In my house, the older guys would mess with you if you didn't have your knife on you. When we would go over to my grandfather's house, he would pull his knife out of his pocket and hold it up, and that was the signal for each of us to pull ours out to show that we had it.

Not sure where that tradition came from, but God forbid a man in my family shows up for any holiday without one in their pocket.

-CT

opusd2

imported post

Kind of like your family's version of the military challenge coin.

My dad also gave me my first knife and made sure I always carried one since. And you'd better make sure it was sharp! How many kids today can be held to that kind of responsibility? I wish society would allow us to know, although some definitely should not be given that kind of latitude. But being raised right would help that.

Turdcutter

imported post

I never made the connection to the challenge coin, but yeah, exactly like that.

Yep, my dad or my grandfather would check my blade every once and awhile, and if it was dull they would remind me that a dull blade is dangerous. My grandfather would grab his whetstone which he kept next to his lounge chair and would hand it to me. I sat next to him plenty of times sharpening my knife.

Our kids are growing up in a different world. I know that everyone says that, but I think that things have changed so much in my lifetime. I'm still doing what I can to raise my kids like I was raised though.

-CT

Basic Guy

imported post

Michigander wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
its an AOW which means a $5 tax stamp instead of the $200 for a short barrel shot gun
On top of the actual costs of manufacturing the gun, you pay for a 200 dollar tax for them to make it, and a 5 dollar fee to transfer it. Given the fact that you could saw down an existing pump shot gun, pay the 200 tax to do so, and put whatever stock configuration you wanted on it since it would be an SBS instead of an AOW, I don't think those things make any sense unless you live in an oddball state like Michigan that only allows AOW''s and not SBS's. It's simply a waste of money to buy a pre made AOW shotgun.
There is one advantage to going the AOW route - if/when it comes time to sell it the buyer doesn't have to pay the higher ($200) transfer tax so it would be easier to sell.

nepawolf

imported post

Go to paopencarry.org you might get a better idea. I'm having problems trying to post the quote, but go to http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss6102

Also, the differentiation between an AOW shotgun and an SBS is that an AOW may not have a stock, $195 in transfer fees, and an AOW does not have to have a letter oking you to bring it across state lines for every trip you make with it.

Where do I get that shotgun holster for the Serbu shorty?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I'm about as pro-gun as you can get, but TBH, I'd be on yellow if I saw a guy walking down the street with an AR strapped to his back..

Situation is everything. If he just got out of a muddy pickup truck, in some hunting gear, I wouldn't give it a second look... If it was in the middle of town, going into a starbucks, I'd be damn near orange...

Flintlock

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I'm about as pro-gun as you can get, but TBH, I'd be on yellow if I saw a guy walking down the street with an AR strapped to his back..

Situation is everything. If he just got out of a muddy pickup truck, in some hunting gear, I wouldn't give it a second look... If it was in the middle of town, going into a starbucks, I'd be damn near orange...

Personally, I think that as a concept, I very much like the idea of people OCing rifles and shotguns. It used to be that way in our society, in fact, it was a legal requirement in Virginia in the 1600's and OCwas not anuncommon practicethroughout our history, even intothe early 1900's.

As a principle, it is the same thing as OCing a handgun for all to see. As with a sidearm, criminals would not draw that amount of attention to themselves by OCing such a weapon as a rifle. The fact of the matter is that in many states, it is not illegal to do so, although the reason many of us do not is because of the attention and tumultuous acts that could posssibly unsue from the law enforcement community.

I have open carried a rifle orshotgun numerous times in my state in the field and on hiking trails, although not actuallyin town even though there are no laws against it. It would be important to know those laws in your locality as there are some other threads going about civil unrest situations pertaining to natural disaster issues.

Besides, I am sure you have seen the ladies of the IDF open carry their rifles in the ice cream shop before... This is the way it should be.

Buying_Ice_Cream.jpg

Overtaxed

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
Things are even worse for kids now. I wouldn't be surprised ifan inert cartridge mobile could get a kid expelled or even charged with a crime if it was brought to a Jr High.

Welcome to the world of "Zero Tolerance Policy." Today you can get expelled for a 1:6 scale GI JOE gun

http://youthviolence.edschool.virginia.edu/violence-in-schools/zero-tolerance.html

I couldn't find the cite online, but I also heard of a kid who got into big trouble for drawing "violent imagery." His "crime?" carrying out an assignment that his whole class was given - 'draw a picture of your parent doing their job'. His father was in the Army, so naturally he drew the man, with a rifle of course, and found himself in a world of hurt.

Overtaxed

imported post

rubykam wrote:
Is it legal to walk around with a rifle or a shotgun?

I stumbled across an interesting discussion about open carry options in New York State, with the notion that there might be wiggle room for OC if it's presented
as "having it ready" for a quick-draw coup de grace to wounded prey harvested by bow, shotgun or rifle.

Since the questioner was trying to find a way to carry something with a bit more juice than pepper spray while doing woodsy things other than hunting, one responder came up with the idea to simply acquire a short, maneuverable rifle and carry it slung during hunting season. So, if confronted by park officials or LEOs, the person could credibly claim that they had every intention of hunting, but decided to go for a hike.

tedwitt

imported post

I went to Huffman High in Huffman, Tx. We all had a single edge Barlow and a three blade knife for mumbley peg, (a game played with a three bladed knife). We all had gunracks in our old trucks and at least one shotgun. Nobody cared. I guess we were the old time gang members. 1972, Go Falcons........