• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WASH, RINSE, REPEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigander

imported post

Probably because it's linked to in a sticky some where, and one of the mods is helping to get rid of the clutter at the top of the page.

autosurgeon

imported post

This needs to be re-stickied or added to one of the other stickies!

I sent the following to Mike requesting it be stickied again. If someone knows why it shouldn't be speak up :lol:

Hey Mike sorry to bother you but over on the MI forum we have a thread that was removed from our stickies! I feel that it was removed in error and wanted to know who removed and if it could be re-stickied? It is one of the threads that we send most of our new OCers to to help them learn how to deal with Terry Stops.

Thread link here. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17262&forum_id=30&jump_to=493710#p493710

Thanks Ryan Ransom AKA Autosurgeon

ghostrider

imported post

aikidoka wrote:
Good topic. I recently had a not so great experience with Hammond Indiana police. I'm looking a digital voice recorders. What out of this list from Walmart would you guys recommend?

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=digital+voice+recorder&Find.x=0&Find.y=0
I'd recommend starting another thread in either a state, or general forums on this board. The topic has been covered before, but it's been a year or two, and the technology has improved since then.

I have this one and like it.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?fl=2&id=1322

Got it at Sam's Club for about $60.

Here's some past threads:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/25496.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/24566.html

This is a good one:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/11463.html

I like mine. Battery life seems good, downloads easy and acts as a USB storage drive. Long record time and good sound quality. It's also slim line.

Olympus and Sony seem to be the ones that get good reviews. Don't know about the RCA's myself, but like I said, "start a thread and get reports from users".

ETA:

Oh look! Here's another one.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/29907.html

aikidoka

imported post

Thanks, I should have at least searched first. I appreciate the links.

manicdevery

imported post

What is it with terry stops that say they should not last anymore than 20 minutes? As i have not had any encounters with LEOs i am just curious to the benefit. Thanx Much.
Devery

ghostrider

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
What is it with terry stops that say they should not last anymore than 20 minutes? As i have not had any encounters with LEOs i am just curious to the benefit. Thanx Much.
Devery
They can be longer, but the longer they go, the more the officer has to justify his actions. There really is no specified time limit, but they cannot just hold you indefinitely.

Either way, it really doesn't matter to the person who is being detained except that he needs to keep track of things like that. It's just one of those things that the lawyer will sort out.

Try reading Boston T. Party's, "You and The Police".

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Ok, Im confused, again. I was reading this in another thread :

Taping a conversation
[/b]
Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539c: A private conversation legally cannot be overheard or recorded without the consent of all participants. Illegal eavesdropping can be punished as a felony carrying a jail term of up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000.

so, if I get a digital voice/video recorder, amd record a police confrontation, why is this not a felony? Is this considered a public conversation? I diddnt think anything could become public record until after a relevant case was closed.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

Taping a conversation
[/b]
Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539c: A private conversation legally cannot be overheard or recorded without the consent of all participants. Illegal eavesdropping can be punished as a felony carrying a jail term of up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000.

so, if I get a digital voice/video recorder, amd record a police confrontation, why is this not a felony? Is this considered a public conversation? I diddnt think anything could become public record until after a relevant case was closed.

Key words in the statue: private conversation

Any place/area considered to be private such as, for example,a persons office, home, etc. The parking lot of Wally World or on the side of a road would not constitute a private place/area where consent is required.

"so, if I get a digital voice/video recorder, amd record a police confrontation" this part is legal in Michigan for you to record as long as you gave yourself permission to do so (One Party State) and the place/area you're in/at is not considered private.

Bronson

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

Taping a conversation
[/b]

It is not a felony because you are not eavesdropping. Eavesdropping is defined as "to listen secretly to the private conversation of others." If you are involved in the conversation you cannot, by definition, be eavesdropping.

Bronson

Glock23c

imported post

im thrown off by the taperecorder thing..that kinda sounds like your asking for trouble and i dont think that would hold up..and the the part about if your driving..well theres laws on driving with it..(if u dont have a cpl u cannot drive with it) u can OC but as soon as u enter a vehicle it has to be emptied and put in your trunk.only when headed to a range or getting it fixed ect..if someone with you has a cpl they can transport it for you if you wanted to OC somewhere else..again this is michigan laws.im unfamiliar with some of the other states laws

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

Taping a conversation

I seriously doubt that the police can object, since in most cases now, they are typically taping the conversation also.

Status
Not open for further replies.