• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would OC'ing to report for Jury Duty get you out of it???

mkl

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
Sounds like we have the same problem.  I've got jury duty in a couple weeks.

Jury duty isn't a problem, it is a chance to do your part in stopping government abuse with bad laws. If you have a gun case, make your decision based on the second amendment, not whatever law the prosecutor wants you to. If you have a drug case (and you believe the war on drugs is unconstitutional) vote not guilty.

Read up on jury nullification, it is the citizens only check and balance on the government.
For more information check out the Fully Informed Jury Association http://www.fija.org/

PT111

imported post

Around here if you show up OC'ing for jury duty you will probably get out of it but would wind up on the other side of the courtroom as a defendant. :D Every courtroom I have been to lately has metal detectors at the doors so I can't even carry my gentleman's swiss army knife to trim my fingernails. :cuss:

Every voter should be required to serve on jury duty at least twice before they are allowed to vote the second time. :p It can be a real learning experience.

AnakinsKid

imported post

mkl wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:
Sounds like we have the same problem. I've got jury duty in a couple weeks.

Jury duty isn't a problem, it is a chance to do your part in stopping government abuse with bad laws. If you have a gun case, make your decision based on the second amendment, not whatever law the prosecutor wants you to. If you have a drug case (and you believe the war on drugs is unconstitutional) vote not guilty.

Read up on jury nullification, it is the citizens only check and balance on the government.
For more information check out the Fully Informed Jury Association http://www.fija.org/
It's only a problem in that it's an inconvenience, and I have to disarm for it. I hate going into the court building. I used to repair copiers there. They have metal detectors, and I wear steel-toe boots.

I went to that site and tried to read the document on jury nullification. 10 pages in, I still had no clue. So I went to Wikipedia, and the first 2 sentences told me all I need to know.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Didn't OJ open carry in the hotel room? Look what it got him:celebrate

How is the green/orange 'smog' there nowadays. Used to drive through it
going from nellis out to henderson in the early 80's.
Is that idiot weatherman still growing arrows in a pot? reminded
me so much of Ness on WKRP.

You can't drag me away from jury duty. I had to 'lie by omission' to keep from
getting bumped last time. Literal reading of the law says I wasn't qualified,
but the DA wasn't bright enough to notice. It is your duty to stop PC dictators.
but I will have to face contempt of court the next time, because of the question always asked by defendant lawyers, that I will answer truthfully to the disdain
and shock of court. The last case was a one-in-a million for answering
the next time. Mouths will hit the floor, and I can't see anyway they can
make a charge stick. Love that 1A also.

Also got a good laugh by fellow jurors when I commented that
'Gee, they realy are human' when the defendants lawyer came in to use
bathroom during a smoke break:lol:.
Liked his closing argument better than Johnny's.
"I know you are fed up with me, but don't take it out on my client."

But if you realy want out, in texas they had a juror show up in a star trek uniform,
the defence was ok with it, but judge booted him. Guess you could carry
a "phaser" type 1 preferably that way. (see youtube for making it.)