• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ballistic Vests

Sheepdawg

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Sheepdawg wrote:
open4years wrote:
I'm either paranoid or thinking logically.
People tell me I'm paranoid. I tell them, "I may be paranoid, but I'm also still alive.";)

Yeah, but whomever you're speaking to is also alive, and without the paranoia. Unless you're speaking to the corpse of a murder victim, this isn't going to impress them.
How do you impress a corpse?!:celebrate

ODA 226

imported post

open4years wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I have 4 IIIa vests and SAPI plates for two of them. The only time I'd wear them is in a SHTF situation.

Who are they made by? Why four vests? Are they different configurations from each other?

3 of my vests are Second Chance, 1 of the 3 is concealable, the other two are tactical vests. All 3 are military issue. The other is a Paraclete Tactical Vest that I bought for use in Iraq.

ianto94

imported post

At a recent gun show I bought his and her level IIIA body armor just in case things get out of hand, or as one commenter said SHTF. I do walk my dog at 3 am sometimes and I live in a jurisdiction where carrying concealed or open is a felony. Care to guess how safe it is. Nonetheless so far have not felt the need to wear on those late night walks yet, but I want the option. Mine is made of Spectrashield which is supposed to be stronger than Kelvar. I just upgraded the trauma plate to Pro Tech Impac. There are demos on utube showing the trauma plate alone stopping everything up to a 12 gauge slug. Anything above IIIA will be hard body armor -- i.e., ceramic plates. If SHTF that badly, I intend to be hold up under cover with my AR and Mossberg and LOTS of ammo.

unreconstructed1

imported post

ianto94 wrote:
At a recent gun show I bought his and her level IIIA body armor just in case things get out of hand, or as one commenter said SHTF. I do walk my dog at 3 am sometimes and I live in a jurisdiction where carrying concealed or open is a felony. Care to guess how safe it is. Nonetheless so far have not felt the need to wear on those late night walks yet, but I want the option.

Where do you live?
Communist Russia, Nazi Germany or Washington D.C.?

honestly, and I really hate to say this, but if you don't have some type of defensive weapon, that vest isn't going to do anything but prolongthe inevitable. If you get mugged, and that vest saves you from the first couple of hits, eventually the thug is going to shoot enough to negate the protective value of that vest, or he's going to get a head shot in.

personally, I wouldn't live somewhere that provides no means of lawful carry. I carry every day, any time I leave the house.

VtCO

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
If I were going to buy body armor, I would ensure that it is as resistant to a blade as a bullet.
Except.... kevlar is very weak against sharp objects.

Stopping a bullet is considerably different than stopping a blade. You are trying to "catch" the bullet, akin to a baseball mitt, but you want to either deflect the knife edge or just plain prevent it from penetrating. There is less force driving the knife, but the sharpened edge makes is what gives it its cutting power.
Just get dual threat armor, it's not rare, just pricey.

LEO 229

imported post

I can post that I do not know of ANY cop that will wear their vest once they are off the clock. Seems to be little need for it. You are not more a target than any other citizen. Even with the vest... crime will find you. You have to weigh your odds that you will be shot and need a vest.

There are a few that get them for free... and refuse to wear them on duty!

They are not very comfortable and I doubt you would keep up the practice.

If you live in an area that you must don a vest and pack a gun..... you may want to just stay home!! :lol:

But feel free and get one if it makes you feel safer.

I leave mine at work and take my gun with me. The chances on me needing that vest are far less than my needing to use my gun.

And that is going to be remote.

ianto94

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
ianto94 wrote:
At a recent gun show I bought his and her level IIIA body armor just in case things get out of hand, or as one commenter said SHTF. I do walk my dog at 3 am sometimes and I live in a jurisdiction where carrying concealed or open is a felony. Care to guess how safe it is. Nonetheless so far have not felt the need to wear on those late night walks yet, but I want the option.

Where do you live?
Communist Russia, Nazi Germany or Washington D.C.?

honestly, and I really hate to say this, but if you don't have some type of defensive weapon, that vest isn't going to do anything but prolongthe inevitable. If you get mugged, and that vest saves you from the first couple of hits, eventually the thug is going to shoot enough to negate the protective value of that vest, or he's going to get a head shot in.

personally, I wouldn't live somewhere that provides no means of lawful carry. I carry every day, any time I leave the house.
DC. I do carry defensive weapons but not a gun. Still working on that one.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
If I were going to buy body armor, I would ensure that it is as resistant to a blade as a bullet.
Except.... kevlar is very weak against sharp objects.

Stopping a bullet is considerably different than stopping a blade. You are trying to "catch" the bullet, akin to a baseball mitt, but you want to either deflect the knife edge or just plain prevent it from penetrating. There is less force driving the knife, but the sharpened edge makes is what gives it its cutting power.
My point exactly. If I am going to spend the money on one and go through the discomfort of wearing it on the street at some point, I'm going to get dual threat armor.

Jizzzle

imported post

In the military we have a thing called ORM "Operational Risk Managment". Does your need to wear a vest or yourpersonal risk in not wearing the vestout weigh the factors of it being uncomfortable/costly/bulky et?

I wear my Walther OC because my need/want to wear it out weighs the factors of uh.. damn.. there arn't really any down sides to it.