• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I break the law yesterday!!!!!

PT111

imported post

Yesterday as I was going home the traffic was backed up with a pile of blue lights flashing up ahead. I figured it was an accident. The I saw around the cars in front that it looked like most were being redirected around the accident onto a side street. As I got closer I noticed a sign that said Sheriff's Check Point.:shock: I placed my gun in my console which is legal in SC and decided to go ahead and get out my license and registration. When I finally got up to the check point I could see that all those cars that they had redirected were parked on the side street and looked like being wrttien a ticket.

I got up to the LEO and he asked for my license and registration. I handed it to him, he walked around behind, checked the license plate, handed my license back and registration back to me and said "Have a safe trip, Sir". The odd thing was this was being directed by the Sheriff's Department, I didn't see any Highway Patrolmen or City Police. I have a feeling that they were looking for more than drunk drivers or expired license.

Since I had my gun in my console and not on me I didn't show him my CWP like I am supposed to do. I also did not ask him if I was being detained. What else did I do wrong?

Dustin

imported post

Notifying an LEO about your Concealed Weapon only matters if you have the weapon concealed on your person. Which you didn't.

I'm not familar with NC Gun laws, so this is just IMO.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Yesterday as I was going home the traffic was backed up with a pile of blue lights flashing up ahead. I figured it was an accident. The I saw around the cars in front that it looked like most were being redirected around the accident onto a side street. As I got closer I noticed a sign that said Sheriff's Check Point.:shock: I placed my gun in my console which is legal in SC and decided to go ahead and get out my license and registration. When I finally got up to the check point I could see that all those cars that they had redirected were parked on the side street and looked like being wrttien a ticket.

I got up to the LEO and he asked for my license and registration. I handed it to him, he walked around behind, checked the license plate, handed my license back and registration back to me and said "Have a safe trip, Sir". The odd thing was this was being directed by the Sheriff's Department, I didn't see any Highway Patrolmen or City Police. I have a feeling that they were looking for more than drunk drivers or expired license.

Since I had my gun in my console and not on me I didn't show him my CWP like I am supposed to do. I also did not ask him if I was being detained. What else did I do wrong?
In NC you must notify.

PT, this is a thread from the NC sub-forum that may answer your questions/concerns.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/15462.html

Also: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf

Dustin

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
PT111 wrote:

In NC you must notify.

PT, this is a thread from the NC sub-forum that may answer your questions/concerns.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/15462.html

Also: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf

Yea accoring to the bottom link, you HAVE to notify an LEO if you have that Permit.

Which is why were against CWP permits tobegin with.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

A check point for no reason? When did this become Nazi Germany? I can see a DUI check pointbecause it has a clearpurpose,and they don't ask "to see your papers," or do anything but check for intoxication. Sounds like they were the ones breaking the law.

PT111

imported post

I am in SC, not NC and the laws are different. In SC you can have gun in your console or glove box with or without a permit and you cannot OC. That is why I put it in the glove box and did not show my permit.

Patiwack0

imported post

Per SC Law: ) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

Looks like you only HAVE to offer CWP with DL if carrying on person. I think as a courtesy, I personallywould have presented, even if my weapon was in my center console, and also advised the LEO at time of presentation that I have a weapon in my console. That's just me.

Dustin

imported post

Patiwack0 wrote:
Looks like you only HAVE to offer CWP with DL if carrying on person. I think as a courtesy, I personallywould have presented, even if my weapon was in my center console, and also advised the LEO at time of presentation that I have a weapon in my console. That's just me.

That's what I said to begin with. I personaly would not tell him unless he ask. Same with why If a Cop comes to my house,I don't start telling him where all my weapons are inside.

It's no threat to him, so there's no need for him to know.

Of cuorse all this changes if he ask me, and or if he asks to search my vehicle, which I would gladly say yes sir, you can search my vehicle, as soon as you provide a WARRANT !

I love how on Woldest Police Chases the Cops are so sneaky in getting people to let them search their ride, b/c they don't know that they can refuse/ Sad thing is they almost always find something, and people like us are rarely questioned and asked if they can search our vehicles.

Sheriff

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
A check point for no reason? When did this become Nazi Germany? I can see a DUI check pointbecause it has a clearpurpose,and they don't ask "to see your papers," or do anything but check for intoxication. Sounds like they were the ones breaking the law.
I'm sure they had a reason. Most likely checking for defective equipment, expired license plates, revoked driver's licenses.... and obviously drunk drivers would be a big bonus for them during this roadblock. It's perfectly legal.

Panos1296

imported post

Check points are unconstitutional, period.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Carnivore

imported post

Patiwack0 wrote:
Per SC Law: ) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

Key word-- "Concealable" not concealed "concealable" no matter where it is , if it's concealable then they wanna know..

Thats the way i read it..

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm

[align=center]ARTICLE 4.[/align]
[align=center] CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS[/align] SECTION 23-31-205. Name.
This article may be cited as the "Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996".

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.

As used in this article:
[ ...]
(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.
The next previous poster is not correct.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Panos1296 wrote:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Exactly. What happens if I don't want to give them my reg and license? They have no probable cause, let alone a warrant,to search my car or ask me for anything. You can't just stop random, law abiding peopleto go "fishing" for violators. Like I said already, around here they don't ask you for anything at DUI stops. A simple, "How are you tonight? or, "where are you headed?" to check for alcohol on your breath and coherenceis all they do. Even that is questionable because they have no cause to inconvenience you, but I'd let it fly if it gets drunk drivers off the road (and it does).

Based on that alone, who cares what the law says about notification of a concealed weapon if the search was illegal in the first place?

Carnivore

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm

[align=center]ARTICLE 4.[/align]

[align=center]CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS[/align]SECTION 23-31-205. Name.
This article may be cited as the "Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996".

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.

As used in this article:
[ ...]
(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.
The next previous poster is not correct.

Does ( when carrying a concealable weapon ) specify on your person, or in your posession ?

whats the wording contained in article 4 of chapter 2 of title 23 ?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Does ( when carrying a concealable weapon ) specify on your person, or in your posession ?

whats the wording contained in article 4 of chapter 2 of title 23 ?

As someone pointed out to me, carry means the actual act of carrying. Posession is not neccessarily carrying, but carrying is posession.

He was not carrying the handgun, but it was in his posession. Thus, my interpritation would be that he was under no obligation to declair. But honestly, I would not declare either. What he doesn't know could hurt him, but his knowing it could hurt you depending on the purpose of the inspection.

Sheriff

imported post

Panos1296 wrote:

The courts disagree with you. You have no constitutional right totravel the public roadways with slick tires, a broken windshield, expired license plates or under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

Seeing as to how I might drink 6 beersa year, I also dislike the idea of having to stop at a roadblock and prove I have not been drinking while driving. I also hate having to stop and prove my tires are not slick, my license plates are currentand my windshield is not cracked, but it is necessary for the safety of other citizens on the road.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't like the BS DUI stops either. If you roll up to one they consider it consent, because you could have turned around and avoided it...but if you turn around you get pulled over for being suspicious.

I don't agree with entrapment or shady tactics to enforce the law. I agree that like in VA most states should employ an annual safety inspection. Checking for registration I believe they can wait on the side of the road or in a parkinglot and see the stickers. If it is expired they give you a ticket. Pulling everyone on the road to see if they are registered is too much like asking for papers...regardless of what the courts say.

hp-hobo

imported post

Politics and opinion on roadside checkpoints aside, you did not break the law. If the handgun was in your closed console (or glove box) you were not carrying pursuant to your CWP, therefore you were under no legal requirement to notify.

On the other hand, if you hadn't already grabbed your documents and they were in the console, I'd be sure to notify before opening it in front of the cop. It might keep you from becoming a statistic.