• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nickels' gun ban

deanf

imported post

“We advised the mayor in a letter that his proposed ‘executive order’ would run afoul of the law, and that we would take legal action,” Gottlieb recalled. “Thanks to the attorney general’s opinion, that no longer appears necessary.”

So I assume the CCRKBA, now that Seattle is off their radar, will be interested in pursuing litigation against the Port of Seattle. The Port has had gun prohibition for years "by executive fiat", in the non-sterile public areas of SeaTac Airport.

The Port has implemented the same rules that Seattle only threatened to implement. The Port is a "municipal corporation" exactly the same as Seattle.

Should be a simple cut-and-paste for the already prepared complaint, right?

Bear 45/70

imported post

deanf wrote:
“We advised the mayor in a letter that his proposed ‘executive order’ would run afoul of the law, and that we would take legal action,” Gottlieb recalled. “Thanks to the attorney general’s opinion, that no longer appears necessary.”

So I assume the CCRKBA, now that Seattle is off their radar, will be interested in pursuing litigation against the Port of Seattle. The Port has had gun prohibition for years "by executive fiat", in the non-sterile public areas of SeaTac Airport.

The Port has implemented the same rules that Seattle only threatened to implement. The Port is a "municipal corporation" exactly the same as Seattle.

You are making it sound so easy, dean. I'll bet that regardless of all the laws, opinions, etc. out there that the Port will have to be drug in to court to make them change andmaybe not even then (look at what DC is doing). They will probably enlist the TSA's help in fighting this too.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

I was at SeaTac Airport today, and as the plane approached the terminal, I noticed that the roofs of the cars are marked "P.O.S." Anybody elsefind this ironic?

Edit: I don't want this to sound anti-LEO, as I know they are just doing their job. But as far as the port administration goes, POS seems to fit thier actions.

jddssc121

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
You are making it sound so easy, dean. I'll bet that regardless of all the laws, opinions, etc. out there that the Port will have to be drug in to court to make them change andmaybe not even then (look at what DC is doing). They will probably enlist the TSA's help in fighting this too.

Jon Allen, a spokesman for the federal Transportation Security Administration, said the TSA has not taken a position on guns in airports and has no authority under federal law to ban them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27202250/

Richard6218

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Now, before anybody gets out the champagne and party favors, instead get set for a visit to Olympia because that is no doubt where Nickels will appear next, demanding and lobbying for an end to state preemption, or an exemption for cities of over 400,000 or 500,000 (Only Seattle qualifies!) so he can enact his own ordinances and set up Seattle as something of a city state.
+1

Dave, you've hit the nail on the head about Nickels. I don't live in Seattle, but if this lunatic gets any support in the legislature he could endanger the rights of all of us. What is your sense of whether he can round up support to undo preemption?

Dave Workman

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:

Dave, you've hit the nail on the head about Nickels.  I don't live in Seattle, but if this lunatic gets any support in the legislature he could endanger the rights of all of us.  What is your sense of whether he can round up support to undo preemption?

[/quote]

I typically do ;)

Seriously, there is fair chance he will have several soul mates in Oly in January. Depends upon how bad the elections go week after next.

This next session will give us all an opportunity to see how many big talkers in the gun rights movement...i.e. the people who shoot off their mouths on various internet forums, typically trying to appoint themselves to leadership positions...will actually show up in Olympia as part of a huge turnout of gun owners for any hearings on bills, to demonstrate.

We're in for a pretty rough couple of years of Obama gets in and sweeps a lot of far left Dems into offices with him.

The only saving grace we might have is to vote Rossi, and I am absolutely serious about that. If anybody is delusional about voting for a Democrat this time around, that nothing bad will happen to gun rights as a result since we had the Heller ruling in June, that person is beyond help. Brain dead would be too polite a description.

I'm no ideologue about Republicans, mind you, but the [i]only[/i] way to prevent a disaster is to keep the Dems from getting a super majority.

Start thinking two years down the road, when it will be essential to find candidates in the Republican camp to run against and unseat some of these Democrats. That's step 1.

Step 2 might be to get a Republican majority and [i]then[/i] elect Libertarians against lingering Dems.

Dave Workman

imported post

deanf wrote:

So I assume the CCRKBA, now that Seattle is off their radar, will be interested in pursuing litigation against the Port of Seattle.  The Port has had gun prohibition for years "by executive fiat", in the non-sterile public areas of SeaTac Airport.

The Port has implemented the same rules that Seattle only threatened to implement.  The Port is a "municipal corporation" exactly the same as Seattle.

You can assume anything you want.
CCRKBA and SAF are actually about to launch something equally and perhaps even more challenging.

Soon as it breaks, you'll be among the first to know.

deanf

imported post

What!? What!? Oooh! I can't stand it! What!?

Is it a citizens initiative?
A lawsuit?
A parade!?
A governor's race write-in campaign!?!
[breathless]A new fundraiser mailing!?!?[/breathless]

I can't sleep . . . .

Richard6218

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

Dave, you've hit the nail on the head about Nickels. I don't live in Seattle, but if this lunatic gets any support in the legislature he could endanger the rights of all of us. What is your sense of whether he can round up support to undo preemption?

[/quote]

I typically do ;)

Seriously, there is fair chance he will have several soul mates in Oly in January. Depends upon how bad the elections go week after next.

This next session will give us all an opportunity to see how many big talkers in the gun rights movement...i.e. the people who shoot off their mouths on various internet forums, typically trying to appoint themselves to leadership positions...will actually show up in Olympia as part of a huge turnout of gun owners for any hearings on bills, to demonstrate.

We're in for a pretty rough couple of years of Obama gets in and sweeps a lot of far left Dems into offices with him.

The only saving grace we might have is to vote Rossi, and I am absolutely serious about that. If anybody is delusional about voting for a Democrat this time around, that nothing bad will happen to gun rights as a result since we had the Heller ruling in June, that person is beyond help. Brain dead would be too polite a description.

I'm no ideologue about Republicans, mind you, but the [i]only[/i] way to prevent a disaster is to keep the Dems from getting a super majority.

Start thinking two years down the road, when it will be essential to find candidates in the Republican camp to run against and unseat some of these Democrats. That's step 1.

Step 2 might be to get a Republican majority and [i]then[/i] elect Libertarians against lingering Dems.[/quote]I haven't looked at the polls lately but last I did Rossi had a lead. I think Gregoire doesn't really care if she wins or not because she's got her eye on a cabinet post with Obama, probably EPA administrator. Beyond that, if the Dems win their supermajorities in the House and Senate and with Obama in the WH :banghead: they will run wild with their liberal agendas. If my sense of politics is halfway on track, that will start a reaction toward the right albeit very slowly. I just hope they don't do a lot of permanent damage to the country before this happens.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Beyond that, if the Dems win their supermajorities in the House and Senate and with Obama in the WH :banghead: they will run wild with their liberal agendas. If my sense of politics is halfway on track, that will start a reaction toward the right albeit very slowly. I just hope they don't do a lot of permanent damage to the country before this happens.
Unfortunately, the most long lasting damage will be the inevitable liberal, anti-gun appointments that are made to the entire Federal Judiciary. They will be there for decades. That's not a very pleasant prospect.

shakul

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
deanf wrote:

No they wouldn't they would get people to come in as "expert witnesses" but we have more experts than they do... and Ours are much better qualified. This lawsuit would be more a battle of who can put more money into it, and once it gets to a certain point people are going to start getting really angry at Port of Seattle for wasting all of our money on a lawsuit about a "rule" which is Preempted by State law.