• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'WestFest shooting for Oct. 25 in Sturgeon Bay' GreenBayPressGazette.com Door County Advocate

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081015/ADV01/810150791/2011/adv

[font="arial, helvetica"][font="verdana,arial"]October 15, 2008
[/font]

[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica"][font="Times New Roman, serif"]WestFest shooting for Oct. 25 in Sturgeon Bay[/font]
[font="Times New Roman, serif"]
By Joe Knaapen
[/font]
[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]Find a cowboy hat and boots, strap on a shootin' iron and head to the West Side of Sturgeon Bay Saturday, Oct. 25, for the first ever WestFest.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]The "wild west" motif simply inspired merchants who do business on the "west" portion of the city, said Kay Seitz, owner of Northern Territory, 20 S. Madison Ave.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]The western theme took off as merchants began planning an event to showcase their wares, Seitz said.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]In past years, the West Side used to put on an evening sale billed as Moonlight Madness, Seitz said. The event fell by the wayside and now merchants want to establish an event, she said.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]West Side business owners are working with co-sponsor Sturgeon Bay Visitor Bureau to make the event a success. Therma-Tron-X is sponsoring music.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]WestFest will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Madison Avenue. The avenue will be closed to vehicle traffic between Oak and Maple streets with plenty of music, activities and food to go around.[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica"]Seitz is sponsoring an 11 a.m. appearance by powwow dancers from the Stockbridge-Mohican tribe, of which her father is a member.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]Also featured will be an Old West Story Teller, Robert James Smith. The 89-year-old Milwaukee man, a member of an international clown group, met Seitz while visiting her store.[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica"]After he entertained her with a tune on the smallest harmonica in the world, Smith agreed to consider coming back for an event, Seitz said.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]A "High Noon Shoot-out" will come at high noon under the direction of Ben Larsen.[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica"]Prizes will be awarded for cowboy costumes in a contest that will be judged at 12:45 p.m.[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica"]Visitors are invited to participate in a chili cook off from noon to 1:30 p.m. or to enjoy food at Kim's Galley.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]Food will be available from vendors after 10 a.m.[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica"]Music will be provided from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. by the John Welch Band and from 1 to 3 p.m. by the Bittorf Brothers.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]The Kid's Korral will feature activities for children. Carriage rides will be available from 1 to 3 p.m. and a donkey cart will be available for rides.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica"]Classic cars will be on display in the parking lot of the Door County Maritime Museum.[/font]

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Arethey suggesting that I strap a loaded .44 to my hip and walk around town?

Not advocating one way or the other, just asking for clarification.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mike wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:

I would not be unlawful to do so.
Caution advised...... according to my check on Google Earth, there is no point on Madison Ave. between Maple and Oak that is not inside "a school zone."

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Mike wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:

I would not be unlawful to do so.
Caution advised...... according to my check on Google Earth, there is no point on Madison Ave. between Maple and Oak that is not inside "a school zone."
A school zone under Wisconsin state law? If so, can you cite to it?

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
section:
(a) “Encased” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (b).
(ac) “Firearm” does not include any beebee or pellet−firing
gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any
starter pistol.
(am) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (35).
(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).
(c) “School zone” means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
guilty of a Class I felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
2. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so
by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco
and firearms in which political subdivision the school zone is
located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that,
before an individual may obtain such a license, the law enforcement
authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the
individual is qualified under law to receive the license

3. That is not loaded and is:

a. Encased; or
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
4. By an individual for use in a program approved by a school
in the school zone;
5. By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
employer of the individual;
6. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission
warden acting in his or her official capacity; or
7. That is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
traversing school grounds for the purpose of gaining access to
public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
grounds is authorized by school authorities.
8. By a person who is legally hunting in a school forest if the
school board has decided that hunting may be allowed in the
school forest under s. 120.13 (38).
(3) DISCHARGE OF FIREARM IN A SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly, or with reckless disregard for the safety of
another, discharges or attempts to discharge a firearm at a place the
individual knows is a school zone is guilty of a Class G felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the discharge of, or the
attempt to discharge, a firearm:
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
2. As part of a program approved by a school in the school
zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
3. By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
between a school in a school zone and the individual or an
employer of the individual; or
4. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission
warden acting in his or her official capacity.
History: 1991 a. 17; 1993 a. 336; 2001 a. 109; 2005 a. 290; 2007 a. 27.

opusd2

imported post

I never even considered going to this activity, as most of these things in Door County are just another way to promote tourism in a place where year around jobs are allowed to fall by the wayside without concern or report. To be honest, even if I was to go to prove a point about one thing or another I would feel as comfortable as a farm boy in the city can be.

And I feel that even the presence of an openly carried sidearm or long arm anywhere around the tightened sphincter of society in Sturgeon Bay would validate the use of their new police "Homeland Security" equipment and mobile command center. Chances are I wouldn't be reporting on it afterwards, but rather be the subject in an article in the local rag about how courageous and brave the local mounties are.

But observations have shown that this is just something to tickle the fancy of passers by and not the community. It's getting even harder to be an active hunter during the posted season and enjoying the season. I've been hassled on public lands, and even on land I own by trespassers with no support from local LE. It's a tough time to see the area where you were born and spent most of your life living turn into a foreign place where the sensibilities and ideals I was raised with being chopped down like so many roadside trees.

Although having lived in Cheyenne, WY for a number of years and explored both open and legal carry in and around Wyoming and surronding states, it would be interesting to see a twisted take on what "Wild West" is considered.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Yep. St. Peters Evangelical Lutheran Church covers the area according to my Garmin MapSource. So, I need to ask the author about the phrase, empty marketeering or invitation to trouble.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Yep. St. Peters Evangelical Lutheran Church covers the area according to my Garmin MapSource. So, I need to ask the author about the phrase, empty marketeering or invitation to trouble.
Yes, there's a school connected to that church, plus another school called CPI on Pine Street... which has.... 4 students:?? It's listed as grades 7-12.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

opusd2 wrote:
I've been hassled on public lands, and even on land I own by trespassers with no support from local LE. It's a tough time to see the area where you were born and spent most of your life living turn into a foreign place where the sensibilities and ideals I was raised with being chopped down like so many roadside trees.

I respectfully suggest the following:

CELL PHONE, charged and ready to go. If you see a trespasser, call 911 and report an armed trespasser on your property. Emphasize ARMED, and state you need LAW ENFORCEMENT HELP NOW! I guarantee LEO will be there NOW.

VIDEO RECORDER, charged and ready to go. When LEO arrives, start recording. IF they REFUSE to enforce the law, capture it on tape. Then take it to the county/city government, and file a complaint with the AG. Also send a copy to fox news and post it on youTUBE.

Do exactly the same when on public land, Wisconsin has a hunter harassment law, call 911, report ARMED harassment, and follow above steps.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Yes, there's a school connected to that church, plus another school called CPI on Pine Street... which has.... 4 students:?? It's listed as grades 7-12.
Or 2 students http://high-schools.com/schools/104165/cpi-school-inc.html

Are students necessary to be a 'school'?

In SC guns are prohibited in 'medical facilities' arguably including "Doctor Root's Alternative Medicine Parlor and Head Shop'. This prohibition has been mentioned as argument for the Red Cross ban in blood centers.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Or 2 students http://high-schools.com/schools/104165/cpi-school-inc.html

Are students necessary to be a 'school'?

In SC guns are prohibited in 'medical facilities' arguably including "Doctor Root's Alternative Medicine Parlor and Head Shop'. This prohibition has been mentioned as argument for the Red Cross ban in blood centers.
The CPI reunions must be raucous affairs.