• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you legally modify AWB Magazines?

Orygunner

imported post

Just bought the wife a Glock 19 with 3 mags, but they're only 10 round mags due to the '94 Assault Weapons Ban restriction (SO happy to see that expire).

I know they're not too spendy (looks like around $20-30), but does anyone know if it's legal to try and modify the magazines to hold more rounds? I haven't actually tried to dig into one yet to see if it's even possible, just wondering at the legality, because I believe it was definitely illegal during the AWB to try and modify them.

...Anyone know?...
...Orygunner...

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yes. You can buy rebuild kits from a multitude of vendors online. They will run ~10-20USD.

It's not hard to install at all. Just pop the bottom plate off and insert new springs (I'd recommend buying new followers as well).

You should learn to detail strip a glock anyways. It's not difficult at all and only requires one tool.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Why bother? Just go online and buy a few good ones.

The few I have left, I use for practice. If they get beat up and mangled...I don't care.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
Why bother? Just go online and buy a few good ones.

The few I have left, I use for practice. If they get beat up and mangled...I don't care.

The 10-roundersare also useful for IDPA, whichdo not allow more than 10 rounds per magazine in the divisionsaGlock would qualify for (SSP and ESP). If the mag simply cannot take more than 10 it's easy to prove that's all you have in there.IPSC used to care about capacityAFAIK, but does not as of the most recent ruleset (their only current rule is that mags must havethe same capacity as a factory mag).

Course if you don't care about practical shooting competitions, just mod it and forget about it.

Orygunner

imported post

Thanks for your answers. Think I'll leave the reduced capacity 10 rounders alone. I was mainly curious about the legality of it.

If I feel we need the standard capacity mags, I found them inexpensive enough online. I think I just might have to buy one of those 33 round magazines, just because they look incredibly Tacti-Cool!

...And FUN!...
...Orygunner...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I actually have 3-4 AWB 10rd mags for several sidearms. One they are often cheap to buy (eg $12 for 10 rd Sig P228 mag vs ~$30 for a 13 rd) and for a bug out mag just to keep loaded "just in case" they work well. Secondly, just in case I ever had a need for local/state law reasons to have 10rd mags I already have them.

(Obviously with the XD45 compact the extra 10 rd mags are for a different purpose)

soloban

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Yes. You can buy rebuild kits from a multitude of vendors online. They will run ~10-20USD.

It's not hard to install at all. Just pop the bottom plate off and insert new springs (I'd recommend buying new followers as well).

You should learn to detail strip a glock anyways. It's not difficult at all and only requires one tool.
I believe that tool is a 3/32" punch. In fact they sell a tool that will pop into the empty space behind the magazine well.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yep you can also get one from Glock. The 'Glock Armorer's Tool'. Basically a punch.

I don't see the point in keeping the tool in the grip, but getting a grip plug is nice...