Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Epic

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I have several small Camcorders and a couple of voice recorders.

Smaller, more versatile mounting and ease of operation is always a good thing.

I bought a Stealth Epic a couple of weeks ago, and love it. Considering Dan's problems and the fact that one OC'er was told to turn his camera off...and did, this might be something to consider.

The picture quality certainly isn't on par with my Nikon, but ain't half bad. This is a bear that I was thinking about shooting Saturday and the camera was mounted on my bow.

Two pushes of the buttons for stills and three for Video.

Video is always better than audio alone.

Here's some information on the camera:
    http://www.epicstealthcam.com/HTML/action_kit.html

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote: Does it have audio. I did not see it in the specs but I can't imagine it without it either.
    If so, it's a better deal than the Epic.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

"Built-in microphone for continuous audio"

The Oregon Scientific device is interesting except it's 8 oz vs. 2.5 oz for the EPIC.

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    "Built-in microphone for continuous audio"

The Oregon Scientific device is interesting except it's 8 oz vs. 2.5 oz for the EPIC.

Thanks for looking that up. I didn't look at the weight.

The Epic is easy to mount/carry. I've clipped it on the bill of my hat, strapped it on my helmet, screwed it into a tree, mounted it on my bow, strapped it on my wrist, on and on.

I wish I had had it when I was a Ski Instructor.....but 8mm film was considered high tech back then.

Post imported post

Also, the epic can use up to a 4gb sd card and the other maxs at 2gb.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    The picture quality certainly isn't on par with my Nikon, but ain't half bad. This is a bear that I was thinking about shooting Saturday and the camera was mounted on my bow.

Good grief, how close were you? Isn't that a "about to attack" pose the bear is in :^)? Head down, not looking directly at you but coming closer..... Looks like a beautiful coat he's got, he must use Pantene.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    peter nap wrote:

Good grief, how close were you? Isn't that a "about to attack" pose the bear is in :^)? Head down, not looking directly at you but coming closer..... Looks like a beautiful coat he's got, he must use Pantene.
    15 yards and he didn't know I was there yet. I had been dragging two rags around on a string. One with Vanilla extract and one with bacon grease. He was just following me.

Too small...He's a yearling at about 175 pounds. He needs another couple years before he'll make a good rug.

Post imported post

Does the Epic record sound? I down loaded the manual and it did not show any sound recoring ability.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

double tap.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Too small...He's a yearling at about 175 pounds. He needs another couple years before he'll make a good rug.
    The over sized ears are a dead give away that he is a youngster.

There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house on Oct 7, they estimated the height at 6ft.

[line]
    Might do some hiking in/near Haymarket over the next few weeks.

Just kidding.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    Does the Epic record sound? I down loaded the manual and it did not show any sound recoring ability.
    On the epic web site it showed video samples of a guy in a boat and on a bike, etc and they all had good sound
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    15 yards and he didn't know I was there yet. I had been dragging two rags around on a string. One with Vanilla extract and one with bacon grease. He was just following me.

Ha! Looks like fun to me!

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    peter nap wrote:

This is the one I'm after Nep. He's been raiding my deer feeders all summer.
    http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IM000002.flv

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    peter nap wrote:

This is the one I'm after Nep. He's been raiding my deer feeders all summer.
    http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IM000002.flv
    You know I've spent, at one time, a lot of time in the woods and *never* seen a bear. I did come across a paw print in a marshy area filled with head high brush once while in Grizzly territory. The smell of skunk was in the air and the paw print was filling with water. :what:

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Sample Video I found on You Tube
    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/ZF6si-nZCrQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"[/flash]
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    The over sized ears are a dead give away that he is a youngster.

There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house on Oct 7, they estimated the height at 6ft.

[line]
    Might do some hiking in/near Haymarket over the next few weeks.

Just kidding.
    Yeah and probably less that 300 yards from my house.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Here's a black bear that was just off of route 15 between 29 and 55 outside of the town of Haymarket, in the development where my youngest daughter and family have their new home.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Here's a black bear that was just off of route 15 between 29 and 55 outside of the town of Haymarket, in the development where my youngest daughter and family have their new home.
    You know whenever I see a deer foraging near the road I always drive right for the little bastard and honk my horn like crazy, just missing him, or rather where he was. I'm not cruel or anything, I just want to give them a good fear of man and especially cars. Plus, it's a lot of fun :^). I'm evil I tell you, EVIL. It may just save their life if they learn to stay away from roads and populated areas.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house Yeah and probably less that 300 yards from my house.
    Are you camped out on your roof with a "06" hoping to get a new rug.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house Yeah and probably less that 300 yards from my house.
    Are you camped out on your roof with a "06" hoping to get a new rug.
    Nope. But a .30-06 with a good load should be able to do the trick for sure.

The bear you spoke of in Haymarket I understand was on Fayette Street around the church.

Don't currently have a serious hunting rifle. Just a Marlin lever action .44 Magnum (which should be Ok for black bear, but not from 300 yards), a Mini-30 (don't want to shoot a bear with this), and a few 12-gauge shotguns with 00 buck Federal police loads. A have a few other long guns but nothing for large game such as a bear.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

Don't currently have a serious hunting rifle. Just a Marlin lever action .44 Magnum, a Mini-30, and a few 12-gauge shotguns with 00 buck Federal police loads. A have a few other long guns but nothing for large game such as a bear.
    Peter is going to take his with a BOW, if I remember correctly.

Any of those would work, range would be the key and slugs instead of Buckshot preferably, IMHO.

7.62 x39 wouldn't be my first choice but would work in pinch with the right ammo and the range is fairly close similar to what a shotgun loaded with slugs or a muzzle loader would require.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Don't currently have a serious hunting rifle. Just a Marlin lever action .44 Magnum, a Mini-30, and a few 12-gauge shotguns with 00 buck Federal police loads. A have a few other long guns but nothing for large game such as a bear.
    Peter is going to take his with a BOW, if I remember correctly.

Any of those would work, range would be the key and slugs instead of Buckshot preferably, IMHO.

7.62 x39 wouldn't be my first choice but would work in pinch with the right ammo and the range is fairly close similar to what a shotgun loaded with slugs or a muzzle loader would require.
    Yep, if I were of a mind to hunt bear with something from my collection, my first choice would be to carry my Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2" barrel as my primary arm, and my Marlin .44 as my backup. I used to hunt with handguns and prefer them at closer ranges. Of course, at the time I also loaded my own ammo for .357 and .44 Magnum to use for hunting. I installed the Ruger hunting sights on my Redhawk with Pachmayr grips along with Omark springs and it is sweet and very accurate.

Otherwise, I would use my Winchester 1300 Defender with rifled slugs for bear.. not buckshot. A bear is a dangerous animal and you need to break them down quickly or risk an attack if your shot doesn't take out the shoulder or spine.

America First!

Post imported post

I don't see the dimensions of the camera. How big is it?

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    I don't see the dimensions of the camera. How big is it?
    Sorry Tomahawk. Is your question directed at me regarding the bear picture I posted?

If so, I don't know how large the bear was. The picture was taken by a neighbor of my youngest daughter. The bear was close to the entrance of their development which is off of route 15 between 29 and 55, closer to 55. From the picture, I would say it goes maybe 250+ pounds.

Yesterday morning, her husband saw two very large bucks in the same area.

America First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast