• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stealth Epic

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have several small Camcorders and a couple of voice recorders.

Smaller, more versatile mounting and ease of operation is always a good thing.

I bought a Stealth Epic a couple of weeks ago, and love it. Considering Dan's problems and the fact that one OC'er was told to turn his camera off...and did, this might be something to consider.

The picture quality certainly isn't on par with my Nikon, but ain't half bad. This is a bear that I was thinking about shooting Saturday and the camera was mounted on my bow.

van1.jpg

Two pushes of the buttons for stills and three for Video.

Video is always better than audio alone.

Here's some information on the camera:
http://www.epicstealthcam.com/HTML/action_kit.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
"Built-in microphone for continuous audio"

The Oregon Scientific device is interesting except it's 8 oz vs. 2.5 oz for the EPIC.

:cool:
Thanks for looking that up. I didn't look at the weight.

The Epic is easy to mount/carry. I've clipped it on the bill of my hat, strapped it on my helmet, screwed it into a tree, mounted it on my bow, strapped it on my wrist, on and on.

I wish I had had it when I was a Ski Instructor.....but 8mm film was considered high tech back then.:cry:

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
The picture quality certainly isn't on par with my Nikon, but ain't half bad. This is a bear that I was thinking about shooting Saturday and the camera was mounted on my bow.

van1.jpg
Good grief, how close were you? Isn't that a "about to attack" pose the bear is in :^)? Head down, not looking directly at you but coming closer..... Looks like a beautiful coat he's got, he must use Pantene.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:

van1.jpg
Good grief, how close were you? Isn't that a "about to attack" pose the bear is in :^)? Head down, not looking directly at you but coming closer..... Looks like a beautiful coat he's got, he must use Pantene.
15 yards and he didn't know I was there yet. I had been dragging two rags around on a string. One with Vanilla extract and one with bacon grease. He was just following me.

Too small...He's a yearling at about 175 pounds. He needs another couple years before he'll make a good rug.

Marco

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Too small...He's a yearling at about 175 pounds. He needs another couple years before he'll make a good rug.
The over sized ears are a dead give away that he is a youngster.

There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house on Oct 7, they estimated the height at 6ft.

[line]
Might do some hiking in/near Haymarket over the next few weeks.

Just kidding.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
15 yards and he didn't know I was there yet. I had been dragging two rags around on a string. One with Vanilla extract and one with bacon grease. He was just following me.

Ha! Looks like fun to me!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:

This is the one I'm after Nep. He's been raiding my deer feeders all summer.
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/bear video/?action=view&current=IM000002.flv

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:

This is the one I'm after Nep. He's been raiding my deer feeders all summer.
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/bear%20%20video/?action=view&current=IM000002.flv
You know I've spent, at one time, a lot of time in the woods and *never* seen a bear. I did come across a paw print in a marshy area filled with head high brush once while in Grizzly territory. The smell of skunk was in the air and the paw print was filling with water. :what:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sample Video I found on You Tube
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/ZF6si-nZCrQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"[/flash]

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
The over sized ears are a dead give away that he is a youngster.

There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house on Oct 7, they estimated the height at 6ft.

[line]
Might do some hiking in/near Haymarket over the next few weeks.

Just kidding.
Yeah and probably less that 300 yards from my house.

Neplusultra

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Here's a black bear that was just off of route 15 between 29 and 55 outside of the town of Haymarket, in the development where my youngest daughter and family have their new home.
You know whenever I see a deer foraging near the road I always drive right for the little bastard and honk my horn like crazy, just missing him, or rather where he was. I'm not cruel or anything, I just want to give them a good fear of man and especially cars. Plus, it's a lot of fun :^). I'm evil I tell you, EVIL. It may just save their life if they learn to stay away from roads and populated areas.

Marco

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
There was a Black Bear sited in Haymarket less than 6 miles from my house Yeah and probably less that 300 yards from my house.
Yeah and probably less that 300 yards from my house.
Are you camped out on your roof with a "06" hoping to get a new rug.:lol: