• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio Supreme Court ruling on carrying in city parks?

Kungfu

imported post

My wife and I were riding today and found a new park property, must have been recently aquired just on the edge of town. Under the rules it says no one can carry or concealed carry in it, and it is a City Park. I thought there was a ruling on it that overruled city restrictions on doing such. Please point me in the right way.

Thanks!

Kungfu

imported post

Actually I just found it, it is Ohioians For Concealed Carry vs Clyde and references ORC 9.68. My question would be who do I contact at a city level to make sure they change the posted rules for the park. Would that be someone at the park or the da or city police?

...I guess I should ask, what if they refuse? I would hope not, but would I then just contact the Ohio Atty General office or should I just hope I dont get unlawfully arrested for it and then worry about suing them for it?

By the way, no one has yet to post progun/gun knowledgable attorney information.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Kungfu wrote:
My wife and I were riding today and found a new park property, must have been recently aquired just on the edge of town. Under the rules it says no one can carry or concealed carry in it, and it is a City Park. I thought there was a ruling on it that overruled city restrictions on doing such. Please point me in the right way.

Thanks!
OFCC v. Clyde Ohio Supreme court case.

http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/pdf/0/2008/2008-ohio-4605.pdf

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Kungfu wrote:
Actually I just found it, it is Ohioians For Concealed Carry vs Clyde and references ORC 9.68. My question would be who do I contact at a city level to make sure they change the posted rules for the park. Would that be someone at the park or the da or city police?

...I guess I should ask, what if they refuse? I would hope not, but would I then just contact the Ohio Atty General office or should I just hope I dont get unlawfully arrested for it and then worry about suing them for it?

By the way, no one has yet to post progun/gun knowledgable attorney information.
http://www.ohioccw.org/component/option,com_lawdir/catid,2/Itemid,106/

RT48

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
...I guess I should ask, what if they refuse
If you document the sign in the OFCC forum dedicated to getting these signs removed, someone at OFCC will write a letter to the city.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewforum.php?f=27

OFCC will need information like the names and contact info for the Mayor, Law Director, name of the park, location of signs, photo of sign, etc.

Kungfu

imported post

Thank you for the link. I'm going to submit everything at once, so I've started compiling a list of names and park locations.

I'm curious, I see Fairgrounds on there and also County Parks, are they alsosupposed tocomply with OCCW vs Clyde / ORC 9.68?

RT48

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
I'm curious, I see Fairgrounds on there and also County Parks, are they alsosupposed tocomply with OCCW vs Clyde / ORC 9.68?
Yes, they are. Any political subdivision of the state such as cities, counties, regional transit authorities, metroparks and county agricultural societies must comply.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Portage Lakes State Park I looked on line and through the dept of resources website and there was nothing about firearms. Im just gonna put it plainly can you OC or transport onto this state park im a little confused by this?

Bustelo5%

imported post

regional transit authorities does this include RTA/Amtrack Cleveland? or is my assumption wrong?
I have yet to findout if you can OC on PARTA or Metro in the AKron/Kent area I dont catch the bus but this would be intresting especially for PARTA since it goes through Kent State

RT48

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Portage Lakes State Park I looked on line and through the dept of resources website and there was nothing about firearms. Im just gonna put it plainly can you OC or transport onto this state park im a little confused by this?
All state, county, city and regional parks are legal for carrying. Anything run by the National Park System like the Cuyahoga Valley National Park become legal in February 2010 because of a recent federal bill that was passed.

RT48

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
regional transit authorities does this include RTA/Amtrack Cleveland? or is my assumption wrong?
I have yet to findout if you can OC on PARTA or Metro in the AKron/Kent area I dont catch the bus but this would be intresting especially for PARTA since it goes through Kent State
Amtrak is not a regional transit authority, it is a entity created by the federal government just like the USPS.

Once again, political subdivisions can only stop you from carrying in their buildings; not their vehicles, not their parking lots, not anything else, just buildings.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Thanks for the replies I was a little confused and I didnt wanna get busted for having a my gun in Portage Lakes Ive just never delt with it before.

I figured id pose the question of RTA PARTA and other ohio public transit since its just something nobody has talked about.

Intresting I work part time doing security at a compost facility owned by a mayor in the middle of a nature preserve in Cuyahoga Falls i think its cuyahoga valley lol im not from here.In anycase I cannot carry at work idk why its kinda weird,but im glad that ill be able to walk outside of work if I want and carry around the National PArk.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Kungfu wrote:

...I guess I should ask, what if they refuse?
no, do not ask. Gind a lawyer and sue for delcarative and injunctive relief - Ohio now has a great attonrey fee shifting statute for preemption violations. use it. Crush them and make an example of them at their expense.

reefteach

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
My question would be who do I contact at a city level to make sure they change the posted rules for the park. Would that be someone at the park or the da or city police?

Within 1 week of contactinga local township councilperson, the township law director where I live had the restroom signs removed. I recently had a similar result with a township which I visit frequently. In my experience, if you send a polite request to either a township councilperson or a general parks and recreation e-mail address, it will be forwarded to the law director of the minicipality, who will contact you directly.

I suggest sending polite e-mails, or snailmails, to parks and council personswith the appropriate statutes and case law. I have had had possitive results this way. It eventually makes its way to the law director.

If they flat out refuse, then it will be time to take it to the next level (civil court or having a state pro2A organization get involved).