• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Washington Soon

Sig229

imported post

I have to go to Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor in the middle of November and give a presentation.

I will be flying in and bringing my M4 and one of my Sig's and was wondering if there are any "gun things" to do in that area.
Maybe some good gun shows? How about a nice shooting range with pop up targets or something?

Also, I want to drive up with my rental car and see Vancouver. Is it possible to bring my unloaded locked pistol or rifle accross the border?

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Also, I want to drive up with my rental car and see Vancouver. Is it possible to bring my unloaded locked pistol or rifle accross the border?

Absolutely not, unless you're looking for an all-expenses-paid extended stay in a Canadian "hotel." :what:

Your rifle can go unless they have changed things recently, but they will inspect it and seal it -- and it better still be sealed if you get stopped by the mounties while there.

Remember that in Washington, even though it is an OC state, you need a CPL to carry in your vehicle.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Remember that in Washington, even though it is an OC state, you need a CPL to carry in your vehicle.
Correction - You need a CPL to carry LOADED in your vehicle.

Sorry, no gun shows for the middle of November.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Of course, you are correct - I misspoke. I forget sometimes that people carry unloaded handguns with them -- in my view an unloaded gun isn't any more defensive than arock or a stick.

Thanks for catching my mistake!

Charles

spike89

imported post

Heck, while you're here, head over to the Silverdale branch of the Kitsap County Sheriff's office and apply for a non-resident CPL. You may actually get it that day! It's about a 10 minute drive from the Bangor gate.

Oh, and if it is a "real" (select-fire) M4, be aware that class 3 weapons are illegal in Washington (don't know if that only applies to residents though).:X

bluer1

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

There's a WAC show Nov. 8-9 in Monroe ;)

I wish I could fly with my rifle, then I wouldn't have to spend $1000 in gas to kill prairie dogs in WY.

arms_libertas

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

There's a WAC show Nov. 8-9 in Monroe ;)

I wish I could fly with my rifle, then I wouldn't have to spend $1000 in gas to kill prairie dogs in WY.
Why can't you fly with it? Unless there's something additional I don't know about your particular situation, you can fly with your rifle. As long as you have a lockable hardcase it can go in the plane's checked baggage compartment. Tell the rep. at the ticket counter that you need to check a gun and they'll send you right over to TSA to inspect it and check it. I haven't flown since the airlines started charging for checked luggage and am not sure if they'd charge you for an item that MUST be checked... but I would assume so.

j2l3

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
ALso, check with your rental car agency, not all of them allow their cars across the border.

bluer1

imported post

Really?!?! I thought after all this 9/11 crap, they had a zero tolerance policy toward even checked baggage/firearms. I know greyhound won't allow it. Any useful links to verify? Thanks! You just made my day!

arms_libertas

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Really?!?! I thought after all this 9/11 crap, they had a zero tolerance policy toward even checked baggage/firearms. I know greyhound won't allow it. Any useful links to verify? Thanks! You just made my day!
Glad to help...
Here is the TSA link for traveling with Special Items:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

FYI- The first time I didthis through SeaTac I was SUPER NERVOUS but everything went fine. Now I travel with whatever I can pack into my hardcase, provided posession isn't prohibited by laws at my destination.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
My wife has flown to and from Michigan at least 4 times and took her revolver everytime. I flew with her once and we took 3 handguns. I have a buddy that flies all over the crountry to shotgun shoots with his 4 shotguns and no problem. Lockable case and ammo in seperate (not in the lockable case) checked luggage.

tricityguy

imported post

It's perfectly legal and acceptable. Call the TSA or check out their web site, you will find the info you need. I checked a pistol in spring of '07 and it was a no hassle experience. At the time, the gun needed to be unloaded (you can't check ammo), in a locked, hard sided case, and you had to have the key on your person (and keep it that way). You tell the ticket agent you need to check a firearm, they will bring a TSA officer out and that officer will ask you to unlock the case. He will look your firearm over, close the case and ask you to relock it. He will then take your gun & case and your other baggage and hand-carry everything to the aircraft. It was really first class, white glove service in my case, and as it reduced the number of people who handle your baggage to 1, I have to assume it also reduced the chance of loss or theft.

Do locate the rules on their web site before you go to make sure things haven't changed, but I doubt you'll have any problems whatsoever. Note that the airlines have all increased fees so there will probably be a fee of some sort for this, perhaps as much as $100. I didn't have to pay anything extra a year ago.

arms_libertas

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:
My wife has flown to and from Michigan at least 4 times and took her revolver everytime. I flew with her once and we took 3 handguns. I have a buddy that flies all over the crountry to shotgun shoots with his 4 shotguns and no problem. Lockable case and ammo in seperate (not in the lockable case) checked luggage.

You can travel with ammunition in the same hard case as long as you follow the TSA rules for packaging the ammunition.

Here are the 2bullet points from the website(link above) pertinent to this point:

-You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

-You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

tricityguy

imported post

Hey, cool. I didn't realize you could travel with ammo. The TSA told me "Absolutely not" when I flew last year. I'll have to remember this for next time.

bluer1

imported post

I'll have to tell my wife, she'll be more excited than I am. Look out WY ground hogs, the coyotes will be eating well this year. Thanks alot guys, that really did make my day.

arms_libertas

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Hey, cool. I didn't realize you could travel with ammo. The TSA told me "Absolutely not" when I flew last year. I'll have to remember this for next time.

I travel with a copy of the most current TSA rules just in case there is someone who doesn't know and they try to error on the side of caution.

It works equally well for special batteries (my scuba lighthas about 10 AA sized batteries soldered together) and non pressurized scuba tanks too... Apparently both are slightly onimous to TSA folks...

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

As far as ranges go, Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club 20 minutes from Bangor is a good range. There is also a range in Poulsbo; I cant remember the name, but its only a 2-5 minute drive from the Base. Neither, however, have pop-up targets.