• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG says Nickels' authority restricted on guns

XD45PlusP

imported post

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels does not have the authority to ban guns on public property, says State Attorney General Rob McKenna.

By Sharon Pian Chan

Seattle Times staff reporter

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels does not have the authority to prohibit guns on public property, says State Attorney General Rob McKenna.

McKenna's opinion, which had been requested by state legislators, is nonbinding, so the city can proceed with its gun prohibition on public property. But historically, such opinions have been given great weight in court, according to the Attorney General's Office.

Washington state law "pre-empts a city's authority to enact local laws that prohibit possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned facilities," McKenna wrote with Deputy Solicitor General William Collins in the opinion issued Monday. Nickels said the ban is needed for public safety.

"While we appreciate the Attorney General's opinion, we have a moral responsibility to pursue common-sense gun laws," Nickels said in a statement.

"We cannot wait for another incident, or another victim. Our communities face real consequences if our state fails to act and I am hopeful that we will get further clarity on this issue. The simple fact is our public buildings, events, parks and community centers are safer without guns."

In May, a man who had a concealed-weapons permit fired a gun at Seattle Center's Northwest Folklife festival and wounded three other people.

Two weeks later Nickels issued an executive order directing city departments to come up with a plan to make city facilities — including buildings, parks and community centers — gun free. He said the city would post signs about the ban on city property, and would charge people who violated it with trespassing.

The Mayor's Office is now drafting an administrative rule and plans to hold a public hearing.

Many questioned whether the city had the authority to restrict firearms. In Washington state, cities cannot go beyond state restrictions on firearms. State legislators led by Sen. Bob Morton, R-Kettle Falls, and Rep. Kevin Van De Wege, D-Sequim, requested a legal opinion from McKenna's office.

The city has suggested that a state Supreme Court ruling permitting the city of Sequim to regulate firearms at a gun show in a city convention center allowed Seattle to make similar restrictions.

After reviewing the Sequim case, which was filed by Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association, McKenna wrote that in that instance the city was acting as a private business owner.

Under Mayor Nickels' prohibition however, the city would not be acting as a private business owner because large parts of city property are generally open to the public, McKenna wrote.

Two organizations, The Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, have notified Nickels they intend to mount a legal challenge to his order.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008272435_gunfree16m0.html

We need to be at any, and all hearings in Full Force.

XD

spike89

imported post

"While we appreciate the Attorney General's opinion, we have a moral responsibility to pursue common-sense gun laws," Nickels said in a statement. ...and I am hopeful that we will get further clarity on this issue."

How much more clear do you need it? State law preempts city ordinances. AG backs that up. What a friggin' idiot. Is he a 4 year old?

bluer1

imported post

Will these Nickels events be open carry casual (1911, glock, kel-tec) or open carry formal (Chrome desert eagle, H&K USP, 357mag rev., Kimber silver-on black)? Boy would my face be red if I screwed that one up!

Bear 45/70

imported post

spike89 wrote:
"While we appreciate the Attorney General's opinion, we have a moral responsibility to pursue common-sense gun laws," Nickels said in a statement. ...and I am hopeful that we will get further clarity on this issue."

How much more clear do you need it? State law preempts city ordinances. AG backs that up. What a friggin' idiot. Is he a 4 year old?
Nickels is just a low life politician trying to show all those Seattle Liberals how much he cares about their safety, regardless of how illegal, illogical or how much more danger it puts them in.

deanf

imported post

How much more clear do you need it? State law preempts city ordinances.

You can bet he won't make it a city ordinance. It will be an administrative policy.

Still waiting to see this AG opinion to see if it addresses administrative policies. If not the AG may have a request for another opinion . . . .

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
spike89 wrote:

Nickels is just a low life politician trying to show all those Seattle Liberals how much he cares about their safety, regardless of how illegal, illogical or how much more danger it puts them in.

He is just like Oboma, I cant understand why these idiots continue to believe guns kill people, every year more car accidents claim lives or maim (sp) people then guns do, yet no one trying to take out cars away, except that crazy old lady down my street talking about cars I’m evil for driving an SUV, but she pets her cat backwards so I think sanity is on my side.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
spike89 wrote:

He is just like Oboma, I cant understand why these idiots continue to believe guns kill people, every year more car accidents claim lives or maim (sp) people then guns do, yet no one trying to take out cars away, except that crazy old lady down my street talking about cars I’m evil for driving an SUV, but she pets her cat backwards so I think sanity is on my side.
Their favorite one is guns kill kids. However ever year swimming pools kill more kids than guns do. But they are not screaming their peanut brains out about swimming pools are they?