• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chambersberg editorial calls Meleanie carry an election stunt

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/ci_10731652

Our view: History loops itself in 2nd concealed carry dust-up
Public Opinion Online

It was almost a year ago that a local man temporarily lost his permit to carry a concealed firearm after he openly and legally carried his sidearm to a polling place to vote.
A couple of months later, a local judge affirmed that no crime had occurred and returned the man's permit. But not before pro-gun activists politicized the incident and engineered a headline-grabbing media spectacle.
At the time, we wondered how long it would take for a copycat to exercise the right to open carry in defiance of common sense and courtesy, by inappropriately bringing a gun to a place where people would be guaranteed to take exception.
We got our answer a few weeks ago: About 10 months.
On Sept. 11, Meleanie Hain openly wore her sidearm to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game in Lebanon. Justifiably angry parents complained, and Hain -- like Chambersburg's Greg Rotz -- lost her permit for a brief time before a judge returned it to her this week.
The two cases practically mirror each other, with one important exception: Since Rotz's incident occurred at a polling place, it wasn't likely to be witnessed by a lot of children and their protective parents.
Nonetheless, the cases are similar enough that we feel compelled to re-emphasize the importance of respecting others' rights in the exercise of your own. The concept amounts to one of the pillars of civilized society.
Of course, we make all these points on the assumption that these open carriers
simply suffered honest lapses in judgment, and were not actively trying to cause a ruckus to serve a greater political cause.
We have no evidence of collusion to that end, but we do find it interesting that a copycat incident dealing with a galvanizing wedge issue pops up right before another Election Day.
Instead of playing off people's fears to make a point, gun advocates would do better for their cause by showing more respect for those who don't feel a need to carry a firearm everywhere they go.
-- By Matthew Major, on behalf of Public Opinion's editorial board

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I commented under "Now I Understand".

""Nonetheless, the cases are similar enough that we feel compelled to re-emphasize the importance of respecting others' rights in the exercise of your own."

Gotcha. So you are in favor of censoring works of art such as Andres Serrano's " **** Christ" which "in defiance of common sense and courtesy, by inappropriately" displaying it in a heavily publicized, large public venue, offended many millions of people. Or of censuring those who burn an American flag " in defiance of common sense and courtesy, by inappropriately" doing so at places such as the steps of the Supreme Court of the United States angering and offending millions of people. Or of telling NYT reporters to shut up and quite printing when they " in defiance of common sense and courtesy, by inappropriately" outing top secret government terrorist interdiction programs thereby aiding and abetting our (potential) enemies potentially making 300 millions people less safe and scaring many who fear that terrorist networks are now more able to work around our intelligence networks.

I assume the above because certainly you would apply the same standards of common sense, courtesy, appropriateness and propriety to matters of the First Amendment as you do to the Second Amendment, correct? A right is a right regardless of whether it gores your bull or just smears bull squeeze on your pages, correct?"

david.ross

imported post

You know, it would be nice if we could somehow draft and send a bill to congress allowing/forcing shipment of these type of people to Australia. You know, where they have not only ban on handguns or any firearm/long gun without good reason, but you can't carry any type of defense weapon like knives, pepperspray, unless its mace. The bailout would've been less, since the people we'd ship are all unintelligent people who probably got us in to the mess in the first place. ;)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I left a comment under my own handle. Interestingly... NOT ONE of the respondents agreed with the author's position... Zero-Nada-None!

jahwarrior

imported post

responded under my screenname here. well, i wouldn't call it a legitimate response, more like play on the author's words...