Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Ammo For Glocks

Post imported post

What is everyones favorite self defense ammo that you all use in Glocks. I'm told that hydroshocks are dangerous to use with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

SFC Adams

Post imported post

Huh? Glocks eat anything. Some people think reloads are bad (unsupported chamber), but factory ammo is fine.

As for HP ammo I'd look into something more modern than Hydrashocks like Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Rangers.

Post imported post

That's kind of the direction my own research was sending me, but I wanted to check against other people as well. Thank you!

SFC Adams

Post imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
    I'm told that hydroshocks are dangerous to use with them.
    Please explain.
    What caliber?

Is there a link to evidence that would support this claim?

[line]

IMHO, HS's are greatin 230gr HP 45acp but they are an old design, however they have a proven street record.
    Check out Sanow/Marshal's book Handgun Stopping Power.

[line]

For me:
    9mm-Win 127gr SXT+P+
    40SW- CCI Gold Dot/LE 165gr
    45acp Fed HS 230gr
    10mm Double Tap 165gr GS
    357 mag Fed/Rem 125gr JHP
    These are the loads I use regardless of gun manufacture.

Edit:
    typo
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

One of my buddies shoots all Glocks and has used HydraShocks since they came out as his SD ammo. I don't know how many boxes of them he has popped off over the years, but he has never had an issue. The only thing that makes Glocks different from most handguns is the polygonal rifling which makes sustained use of lead bullets ill advised unless you are going to devotedly clean your barrel with a lead solvent.

As to the HydraShocks themselves, as mentioned, they are an old design. At one time they were the premier SD round, however, there are now, 20+ years later, better HP designs that open more consistently through varying media with less fragmentation or separation to a larger final diameter. That doesn't make HydraShocks bad or ineffective as their continued healthy sales indicates.

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I'm really appreciating all the opinions, keep 'em coming guys!

SFC Adams

Post imported post

Forself-defense in my Glock 19 (and all of my 9x19mm handguns) I use Winchester White Box 147gr. JHPs from Walmart. They're accurate, have good penetration AND expansion, are reliable and are very reasonably priced.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

You would get a lot more answers if you stated what caliber you were wondering about. Also, peoples answers have a tendency to not matter on what manufacturer of a firearm you are carrying, just the type.

Ex. An answer for a Glock 19 would be the same as a Sig 226 in 9mm. In that case, for me it is the Speer Dot 124 +p

Post imported post

Thank you it's a Glock 23 (.40cal) and for above that asked, I have no evidence of the hydroshocks being bad, just word of mouth from other people I know.

Post imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
    (.40cal)
    Check out Sanow/Marshal's book Handgun Stopping Power.
    http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppi...amp;Weight=All

Another link:
    http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppi....asp?Caliber=0

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

My personal choice for my Glock 21 is Remington Golden Saber. It's one mean .45 caliber 230 gr Brass JHP.

Post imported post

Sorry, call me crazy but I carry Hydroshocks as my SD ammo. In both my G22 and taurus .45.

mdgary

Post imported post

Hornady TAP for personal defense,shoots very well in glocks.Also my personal favorite..

Post imported post

CorBon Pow'R'Ball or CorBon DPX are the way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

catass wrote:
    CorBon Pow'R'Ball
    I would only suggest the Ball for firearms that are very picky when it comes to hollow point ammunition. It is designed to feed like a FMJ. So it is a great answer to firearms like the Sig P6 that was originally designed for FMJ and sometimes won't feed other HP very well.

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    catass wrote:
    CorBon Pow'R'Ball
    I would only suggest the Ball for firearms that are very picky when it comes to hollow point ammunition. It is designed to feed like a FMJ. So it is a great answer to firearms like the Sig P6 that was originally designed for FMJ and sometimes won't feed other HP very well.
    Pow'R'Ball can be used for weapons that don't like Hollowpoints, but the performance of Pow'R'Ball by far out performs a lot of "traditional" hollowpoints.
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
    What is everyones favorite self defense ammo that you all use in Glocks. I'm told that hydroshocks are dangerous to use with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

SFC Adams
    I personally use Federal Personal Defense for the Glock 19 and the Glock 27. I prefer these because of two reasons: (1) when the time comes, a lawyer will have an easier time painting a bad picture for the jury if my ammo is called "Kill Yah"(you know what I mean) rather than "Personal Defense", (2) anybody who says its not prowerful enough is invited to stand 25 feet away and have the double tap experience.

Post imported post

*kicks the hornet's nest*

From what I understand, the Glock itself is the best ammo.

Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Right now, I'm using Winchester Whitebox SD ammo in my Glock 30.

Since I'll not be shooting this stuff at the range (why use hollow points at a range???), I hope to have the same 50 rounds until I die of old age.

Post imported post

mdgary wrote:
    Hornady TAP for personal defense,shoots very well in glocks.Also my personal favorite..
    I'll second this motion. It's what I carry in my Glock 27.

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    Since I'll not be shooting this stuff at the range (why use hollow points at a range???), I hope to have the same 50 rounds until I die of old age.
    Why shoot defencive ammo at the range? To find out if there may be any issues with the ammo and the weapon combonation before you need to depend on it. Stranger things have happened.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    I hope to have the same 50 rounds until I die of old age.

I hope you store them where there's no moisture or oxygen. Because otherwise those rounds will be useless before you're dead.

Post imported post

Nah.

I've got a box of old surplus rounds from the 60s that work JUST FINE.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:

SFC Adams
    for target shooting I use WOLF. for defense, I have migrated to Corbon DPX or Corbon PowerBall.

Post imported post

I prefer Double Tap ammunition for my Glocks.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast