• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Ammo For Glocks

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

What is everyones favorite self defense ammo that you all use in Glocks. I'm told that hydroshocks are dangerous to use with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

SFC Adams

kurtmax_0

imported post

Huh? Glocks eat anything. Some people think reloads are bad (unsupported chamber), but factory ammo is fine.

As for HP ammo I'd look into something more modern than Hydrashocks like Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Rangers.

Marco

imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
I'm told that hydroshocks are dangerous to use with them.
Please explain.
What caliber?

Is there a link to evidence that would support this claim?

[line]

IMHO, HS's are greatin 230gr HP 45acp but they are an old design, however they have a proven street record.
Check out Sanow/Marshal's book Handgun Stopping Power.

[line]

For me:
9mm-Win 127gr SXT+P+
40SW- CCI Gold Dot/LE 165gr
45acp Fed HS 230gr
10mm Double Tap 165gr GS
357 mag Fed/Rem 125gr JHP
These are the loads I use regardless of gun manufacture.

Edit:
typo

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One of my buddies shoots all Glocks and has used HydraShocks since they came out as his SD ammo. I don't know how many boxes of them he has popped off over the years, but he has never had an issue. The only thing that makes Glocks different from most handguns is the polygonal rifling which makes sustained use of lead bullets ill advised unless you are going to devotedly clean your barrel with a lead solvent.

As to the HydraShocks themselves, as mentioned, they are an old design. At one time they were the premier SD round, however, there are now, 20+ years later, better HP designs that open more consistently through varying media with less fragmentation or separation to a larger final diameter. That doesn't make HydraShocks bad or ineffective as their continued healthy sales indicates.

Deanimator

imported post

Forself-defense in my Glock 19 (and all of my 9x19mm handguns) I use Winchester White Box 147gr. JHPs from Walmart. They're accurate, have good penetration AND expansion, are reliable and are very reasonably priced.

David.Car

imported post

You would get a lot more answers if you stated what caliber you were wondering about. Also, peoples answers have a tendency to not matter on what manufacturer of a firearm you are carrying, just the type.

Ex. An answer for a Glock 19 would be the same as a Sig 226 in 9mm. In that case, for me it is the Speer Dot 124 +p

M

mdgary

imported post

15469.jpg
Hornady TAP for personal defense,shoots very well in glocks.Also my personal favorite..

David.Car

imported post

catass wrote:
CorBon Pow'R'Ball
I would only suggest the Ball for firearms that are very picky when it comes to hollow point ammunition. It is designed to feed like a FMJ. So it is a great answer to firearms like the Sig P6 that was originally designed for FMJ and sometimes won't feed other HP very well.

FightingGlock19

imported post

David.Car wrote:
catass wrote:
CorBon Pow'R'Ball
I would only suggest the Ball for firearms that are very picky when it comes to hollow point ammunition. It is designed to feed like a FMJ. So it is a great answer to firearms like the Sig P6 that was originally designed for FMJ and sometimes won't feed other HP very well.
Pow'R'Ball can be used for weapons that don't like Hollowpoints, but the performance of Pow'R'Ball by far out performs a lot of "traditional" hollowpoints.

KS_to_CA

imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
What is everyones favorite self defense ammo that you all use in Glocks. I'm told that hydroshocks are dangerous to use with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

SFC Adams
I personally use Federal Personal Defense for the Glock 19 and the Glock 27. I prefer these because of two reasons: (1) when the time comes, a lawyer will have an easier time painting a bad picture for the jury if my ammo is called "Kill Yah"(you know what I mean) rather than "Personal Defense", (2) anybody who says its not prowerful enough is invited to stand 25 feet away and have the double tap experience.

;)

WCrawford

imported post

Right now, I'm using Winchester Whitebox SD ammo in my Glock 30.

Since I'll not be shooting this stuff at the range (why use hollow points at a range???), I hope to have the same 50 rounds until I die of old age.