• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Fund for Dan Moore

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If nobody else wants to do it, I "volunteer" to set up a passbook savings account at my bank under the name "Danbus Legal Defense Fund". This, BTW, is how most "donate to a good cause accounts" are handled.

The kicker is that any funds not used by danbus go to a party at Hooters at Waterside - time/date TBA.

Anybody that wants to send $$ can PM me - I'll hold off setting up the account until I see some real interest AND Dan says it's OK with him.

stay safe.

skidmark

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll contribute.

I suggested to Dan that he not post any more info or plans about his case since this site is likely monitored. Once we decide how to set this up, Skidmark and Dan could PM one another for final details, then the actual contributions could begin. I like the idea of having winnings replenish the fund so it can be maintained for future contingencies.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I'll contribute.

I suggested to Dan that he not post any more info or plans about his case since this site is likely monitored. Once we decide how to set this up, Skidmark and Dan could PM one another for final details, then the actual contributions could begin. I like the idea of having winnings replenish the fund so it can be maintained for future contingencies.
We concur !!!!!

Glock27Bill

imported post

Count me in to help Dan.

I think a fund to help others might get messy when we try to decide who/when etc.

Perhaps we could just put out the call on a case by case basis.

Either way, if Dan's OK with it, I'll contribute.

Neplusultra

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Count me in to help Dan.

I think a fund to help others might get messy when we try to decide who/when etc.

Perhaps we could just put out the call on a case by case basis.

Either way, if Dan's OK with it, I'll contribute.
Or just let VCDL decide. with member input of course. The reason I say this is that VCDL will be around for awhile. Other methods/persons administrating funds will not. Why not set up a system that perpetuates itself through reimbursement so that others can be defended even when they don't stir up excitement like Danbus does. Remember, the reimbursement will not come from Dan's part of the reward, only from the amount the lawyer wins for his time. The lawyer gets paid, wins, gets compensation from defendant and that portion becomes the reimbursement.

As far as deciding who should get monies for their defense being a "messy" thing, when has democracy or the fight for our freedoms been a tea party :^) Ok, once in Boston.

savery

imported post

I'll contribute.

While skidmark's idea isn't terrible... there should be a clear plan of what to do with any leftover money (if there is any)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

+1 - I'm in all the way.

Unused funds - Skidmark did suggest that any unused funds be used as a victory celebration - that might frost the city :D but it is pure poetry.

Yata hey

6L6GC

imported post

I would more than happy to pitch in and help Dan but I would think that his lawyer would be working on a contingency basis since his defense and subsequent lawsuit against the city will no doubt be handled by the same attorney.

If that's not how it will work, and Dan is OK with this, you can count me in. Defending Dan defends all of us. And I believe that he deserves our help in his own right.

jegoodin

imported post

I'd certainly trust the VCDL Board to administer the fund and any residual as they see fit (celebration party, generic defense fund, or other good cause of their chosing).

So where do I send the check or have the money sent?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote: Remember, the reimbursement will not come from Dan's part of the reward, only from the amount the lawyer wins for his time. The lawyer gets paid, wins, gets compensation from defendant and that portion becomes the reimbursement.
Keep in mind that the case in question is a criminal one, not civil, so Dan will have to pay out of pocket for representation. The lawyer doesn't work on a contingency basis for that kind of work. Only if Dan subsequently sues and wins compensation does the lawyer get a cut of the action.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote: Remember, the reimbursement will not come from Dan's part of the reward, only from the amount the lawyer wins for his time. The lawyer gets paid, wins, gets compensation from defendant and that portion becomes the reimbursement.
Keep in mind that the case in question is a criminal one, not civil, so Dan will have to pay out of pocket for representation. The lawyer doesn't work on a contingency basis for that kind of work. Only if Dan subsequently sues and wins compensation does the lawyer get a cut of the action.
Exactly!
Also, even if Dan wins in General District, I fully expect the city to take it to Circuit. If I recall, it was Riddick that said they would take a civil case to the highest court...I see no reason why the city won't follow that line of thought in a criminal case.

I don't think this will be an inexpensive case and I doubt there will be anything left.

2a4all

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Exactly!
Also, even if Dan wins in General District, I fully expect the city to take it to Circuit. If I recall, it was Riddick that said they would take a civil case to the highest court...I see no reason why the city won't follow that line of thought in a criminal case.

I don't think this will be an inexpensive case and I doubt there will be anything left.
The criminal charge(s) need to be settled first.

If Dan is found guilty, he should appeal. This part could be expensive.

If the charge(s) are found to be baseless at any level, he should sue.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Exactly!

IMO, it would be extreme for the City to appeal an acquittal/dismissal of a misdemeanor charge.

If Dan is found guilty, he should appeal.
It would be extreme but I am certain they want to make an example of him and the City Attorney has orders to take it as far as necessary. I hope I'm wrong.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
It would be extreme but I am certain they want to make an example of him and the City Attorney has orders to take it as far as necessary. I hope I'm wrong.
Nope, I think you're right. This prosecution is politically motivated, with almost complete certainty.

Kevin108

imported post

skidmark wrote:
If nobody else wants to do it, I "volunteer" to set up a passbook savings account at my bank under the name "Danbus Legal Defense Fund". This, BTW, is how most "donate to a good cause accounts" are handled.

The kicker is that any funds not used by danbus go to a party at Hooters at Waterside - time/date TBA.

Anybody that wants to send $$ can PM me - I'll hold off setting up the account until I see some real interest AND Dan says it's OK with him.

stay safe.

skidmark
I like this idea, but I would also like to see the account linked to PayPal. Click, click, click and a donation has been made. Principles aside, quite a bit more money will be raised if it's easy to donate and it doesn't get much easier than PayPal.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
I like this idea, but I would also like to see the account linked to PayPal. Click, click, click and a donation has been made. Principles aside, quite a bit more money will be raised if it's easy to donate and it doesn't get much easier than PayPal.
kevin, for those of us that do NOT have a paypal account, it's more than click, click. That's if I would even consider using them which I won't!