• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal carry with out permit

frgntsmtn

imported post

Alright i know its legal to carry concealedin your house without a permit but say that i open carryed to someone elses house and i dont want to make people nerves, is it legal to cover it up in there house?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

frgntsmtn wrote:
Alright i know its legal to carry concealedin your house without a permit but say that i open carryed to someone elses house and i dont want to make people nerves, is it legal to cover it up in there house?
short answer......no!

long answer....If Hank fell off a cliff and no one saw it, did it matter.....no!:shock:

nova

imported post

What if you have the permission of the homeowner? Like if I'm at a friend's house and ask? Or is the only exception for YOUR property?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
What if you have the permission of the homeowner? Like if I'm at a friend's house and ask? Or is the only exception for YOUR property?
You need to read the statute. There are exceptions
Your home or yard
Your own place of business
hunting to protect it from weather

so on....but

someone elses property with permission is not one of them!

Would someone post the link

Sorry NOVA...I thought you were the new fellow:uhoh:

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nova wrote:
You need to read the statute. There are exceptions
Your home or yard
Your own place of business
hunting to protect it from weather

so on....but

someone elses property with permission is not one of them!

Would someone post the link

Sorry NOVA...I thought you were the new fellow:uhoh:
I can't tell you how many times I've read the statute. But I figured I'd ask anyway since you know how complicated laws can be, especially gun laws.

N8

Campaign Veteran
imported post

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry

(cut)

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

(cut)

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

(cut)

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in §
4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit

(cut)

Correct me if im wrong, but from what i uderstand...

You can conceal carry with out a permit at your house and your yard.

You can carry concealed with out a permit at your jobonceinside the building, unless you're intoxicated or under the influence of illigal drugs while in a public place.

You can cover your gun when the weather gets bad, no handguns allowed during hunting unless you have a CHP/CCW

You can't carry concealed into a place that serves alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption unless you're a cop or the owner of the place,or an event sponsor or his employees if they have a valid CCW/CHP and are on duty.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

N8 wrote:
snip.......

Correct me if im wrong, but from what i uderstand...

You can conceal carry with out a permit at your house and your yard.
Yes

You can carry concealed with out a permit at your jobonceinside the building, unless you're intoxicated or under the influence of illigal drugs while in a public place. No - not at your "job" - Yes - you (the owner) at your place of business. Never is CC legal without a permit in a public place.

You can cover your gun when the weather gets bad, no handguns allowed during hunting unless you have a CHP/CCW Cover to protect gun while hunting. Hunting with handguns is permitted - see below.

You can't carry concealed into a place that serves alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption unless you're a cop or the owner of the place,or an event sponsor or his employees if they have a valid CCW/CHP and are on duty.
And OK if you are a Commonwealth's Attorney - no CHP and concealed - thanks King Kaine.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp
  • Rifles, pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting crows, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Rifles, pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting turkeys, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Pistols, revolvers and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • Muzzleloading shotguns, muzzleloading rifles or archery tackle may be used to hunt during the firearms seasons where not prohibited.
  • Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more.
  • Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.
  • Archery tackle may be used for hunting wild birds and animals.
Best to read all applicable rules first.

Yata hey