Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic shooting muffs - can anyone reccomend a good pair?

Post imported post

I'd like to buy a decent pair of electronic shooting muffs, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend any / advise me which ones to steer clear of?

Which features do you like/dislike, etc.

Thanks!

Post imported post

I have Peltor Tactical 6S sterio $66 from Wholesale Hunter.Work well with long guns and handguns.

Post imported post

I just got a pair of these, they aren't electronic.
    http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...ssupandreg-sup

I haven't tried them at the range yet, butI can hear normal sounds just fine.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I the Person wrote:
    I'd like to buy a decent pair of electronic shooting muffs, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend any / advise me which ones to steer clear of?

Which features do you like/dislike, etc.
    I have a pair of Peltor Tactical 6S and they have worked well for me with an array of handgun calibers (.44 mag, .357 mag, 10mm, etc.)

I don't like the on/off/volume knobs which are easy to accidentally turn on while bouncing around in my range bag. Also, it's kind of tricky to take off the cushions to get at the batteries. Finally, the NRR is only 20. That's probably an acceptable number but higher ratings are available.

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies!

Post imported post

I'm a little late to this party but I highly suggest the $19.99 electronic muffs that Harbor Freight sells. I have used these at a lot of shooting events and classes. They are cheap chineese knock offs but they do work quite nicely.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

I too have a pair of $19.95 electronic muffs. From SG I think....work just fine.

Post imported post

ianto94 wrote:
    I have Peltor Tactical 6S sterio $66 from Wholesale Hunter.Work well with long guns and handguns.
    Same here and I like them. Kinda nice that they actually amplify sound when not shooting. If you need extra protection you can wear earplugs under them, crank up the Peltor sound all the way and still hear people talking on the range but have uber-protection when shooting a big caliber rifle.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I have these. The NRR is 30 I believe. At least that is what mine say. This page doesn't say. I have even used them to sleep when the condo I was living in was jackhammering when they were replacing the driveway. Not too expensive either.

Post imported post

I have two pairs of Caldwells from MidwayUSA. I love'em! They do tend to eat batteries, usually I have to replace them every two full range days. Cheap and useful.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=142725

Post imported post

The Peltor 6S are great. I can hear everyone all the way down the range line even if they are talking normally, and gunshots are muffled well enough. If you are shooting 20mm or something you might want to get something better :P

Post imported post

Ok, so what exactly is the advantage of these newfangled electronic devices? I've been using the same set of ear muffs for 10 years now, and they work wonders.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Ok, so what exactly is the advantage of these newfangled electronic devices? I've been using the same set of ear muffs for 10 years now, and they work wonders.
    You don't have to lift one ear-piece and say, "Huh?" whenever someone speaks to you in a normal voice. Yet, they distinguish and prevent gun-shot level noise.

Also, some of them seem to make darn good sound amplifiers in a home defense situation.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

AbNo.....If you stillhunt.....they will amplify wilderness sounds.

Post imported post

Actually, I don't hunt.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I use Pro-Ears. They work very well.
    http://www.proears.com/home
    armorer & notary public for VA Arms Co FFL/SOT
    https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany

Post imported post

ianto94 wrote:
    http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...oducts_id=2076

Post imported post

A few months late,

I've used the $25 pair from Gander Mtn and a $20 pair from Northern Tool (Bright Orange) and thought for the money they were great.

Post imported post

Pro Ears are now made in MICHIGAN!

High NRR's and industry leading warranties and performance and quality.

I am one of the owners, but check out the video on the the web site-you can see and hear the difference.

www.pro-ears.com

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Forget Pro Ears: If they ever need fixing EVENUNDER WARRANTY they charge you something like $35 to repair themeven if they are defective. Happened to me when I sent mine in to get a defective component replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

They shouldn't be charging ANYTHING to fix a defective product, especially when you pay big bucks for it in the first place.

What a sorry, rip-off company...

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    I just got a pair of these, they aren't electronic.
    http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...ssupandreg-sup

I haven't tried them at the range yet, butI can hear normal sounds just fine.
    When you get to try these, let us know how they work. I have been looking at them for a while.

Post imported post

As one of the new owners of Pro Ears I can tell you we really believe in our product. We even adjusted our warranty policy so in the case there is something wrong thereis no charge at all in the first 90 days. Just send it in and we fix it or replace it. After the 90 days (elctrical failures will occur normally sooner than this) and there is a $29.95 charge for shipping and handling but no chagres for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Our Gold models we have 5 year warranty, you can't buy much with that warranty anymore, but we cana because we make them in the USA-here in Michigan. I hate yo hear about a bad customer servcie situation, and we are trying real hard to be better.

Post imported post

'Couple of cotton balls 'n a wad of spit... 'Good to go.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

cbr,

My issue was after 90 days. Still, there should be NO CHARGE, EVEN FORSHIPPING AND HANDLINGfor god's sake (let alonediagnosing andfixing) a productthat showed up as DEFECTIVE -- through no fault of mine -- while it is under warranty, especially if it's supposed to be such a good product and as expensive as it is, so your "5-Year Waranty" is very misleading. There isNO good explanation for that at all. Period.

What, Pro Ears doesn't make enough $$ on the product itself thatit hasto grub another $30 from customers sending in aDEFECTIVE product? [a rhetorical question]

The Pro Ears lady I talked to on the phone back then about this was very friendly and caring, I'll say that of her, but she had to go by company policy and charge me the $30. And when I got the muffs back, there was no explanation or comments just what was wrong with them (if I was right in MY "diagnostics" of the problem)...I would have appreciated knowing your official "diagnostics" details.

I will not buy any Pro Ears again on that point alone, and I have told and continue to tell others the same thing: Buy something other than Pro Ears. I can assure you that this has cost Pro Ears much more than the $30 I had to -- in protest -- fork over to get mine fixed and working...not to mention all the batteries I had to buy because it kept running them down and I finally believed the muffswere defective. I used to postGOOD things about Pro Ears some time back, BEFORE this "warranty" incident, but now I post negative things. No need tothank me, Pro Ears deserves it. Beware the customer scorned/mistreated.

Pro Ears should have beenashamed of such a "warranty"policy THEN, but you still have it even now. That's disgraceful.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

I gotta agree with Cloudcroft on this one. I have had many products serviced under warranty, and insome cases, I have had to pay for the return shipping, and they cover the cost of getting them back in my hands. That would not cost $30 to get these to Michigan.

What is the handling charge? That is BS! Why should a customer pay you to handle your own defective product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast