• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Electronic shooting muffs - can anyone reccomend a good pair?

G

imported post

I'd like to buy a decent pair of electronic shooting muffs, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend any / advise me which ones to steer clear of?

Which features do you like/dislike, etc.

Thanks!

ianto94

imported post

I have Peltor Tactical 6S sterio $66 from Wholesale Hunter.Work well with long guns and handguns.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I the Person wrote:
I'd like to buy a decent pair of electronic shooting muffs, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend any / advise me which ones to steer clear of?

Which features do you like/dislike, etc.

I have a pair of Peltor Tactical 6S and they have worked well for me with an array of handgun calibers (.44 mag, .357 mag, 10mm, etc.)

I don't like the on/off/volume knobs which are easy to accidentally turn on while bouncing around in my range bag. Also, it's kind of tricky to take off the cushions to get at the batteries. Finally, the NRR is only 20. That's probably an acceptable number but higher ratings are available.

adamsesq

imported post

I'm a little late to this party but I highly suggest the $19.99 electronic muffs that Harbor Freight sells. I have used these at a lot of shooting events and classes. They are cheap chineese knock offs but they do work quite nicely.

-adamsesq

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ianto94 wrote:
I have Peltor Tactical 6S sterio $66 from Wholesale Hunter.Work well with long guns and handguns.
Same here and I like them. Kinda nice that they actually amplify sound when not shooting. If you need extra protection you can wear earplugs under them, crank up the Peltor sound all the way and still hear people talking on the range but have uber-protection when shooting a big caliber rifle.

mazellan819

imported post

I have these. The NRR is 30 I believe. At least that is what mine say. This page doesn't say. I have even used them to sleep when the condo I was living in was jackhammering when they were replacing the driveway. Not too expensive either.

kurtmax_0

imported post

The Peltor 6S are great. I can hear everyone all the way down the range line even if they are talking normally, and gunshots are muffled well enough. If you are shooting 20mm or something you might want to get something better :p

AbNo

imported post

Ok, so what exactly is the advantage of these newfangled electronic devices? I've been using the same set of ear muffs for 10 years now, and they work wonders.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Ok, so what exactly is the advantage of these newfangled electronic devices? I've been using the same set of ear muffs for 10 years now, and they work wonders.

You don't have to lift one ear-piece and say, "Huh?" whenever someone speaks to you in a normal voice. Yet, they distinguish and prevent gun-shot level noise.

Also, some of them seem to make darn good sound amplifiers in a home defense situation.

cbr

imported post

Pro Ears are now made in MICHIGAN!

High NRR's and industry leading warranties and performance and quality.

I am one of the owners, but check out the video on the the web site-you can see and hear the difference.

www.pro-ears.com

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Forget Pro Ears: If they ever need fixing EVENUNDER WARRANTY they charge you something like $35 to repair themeven if they are defective. Happened to me when I sent mine in to get a defective component replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

They shouldn't be charging ANYTHING to fix a defective product, especially when you pay big bucks for it in the first place.

What a sorry, rip-off company...

-- John D.