• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many Texans for Open Carry are TSRA members?

How many Texans for Open Carry are TSRA members?

• I am a TSRA member and I support Open Carry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not a TSRA member, but might join

• I am not a TSRA member, and won't join

• Total voters

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

This forum thread is the inspiration for this post: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/off-topic-chat-sponsored-shiloh-shooting-range/2021-tsra-going-back-open-carry-openly.html

Specifically, this line: "If those 15,000 folks who signed that petition were TSRA members, then Open Carry would be the #1 issue for TSRA. But they are not. Just folks who invested 30 seconds signing an on-line petition."

So that got me thinking, how many TSRA members support Open Carry? Conversely, how many Open Carry supporters from Texas would join the TSRA if they thought it would make a difference?

I'm a Life Member of the GOA and NRA, but am not a member of the TSRA yet. I'm seriously considering it. If there weren't many other needs/desires competing for my budget, I'd probably have joined already.

How many of you who signed the petition would be willing to join the TSRA? Thanks!

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

the irony of having to join a rifle association to help get my right to open carry a handgun is not lost on me, however, I would be willing to join the organization if I knew up front that they would support the issue even if they didn't have the numbers at first.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
the irony of having to join a rifle association to help get my right to open carry a handgun is not lost on me, however, I would be willing to join the organization if I knew up front that they would support the issue even if they didn't have the numbers at first.

Did you vote? I voted for 'might join' myself.

But yeah, that's the rub, what will I really get from my membership dues, since (at least from what I've read) Open Carry is not a legislative priority for the TSRA.

But I wonder how responsive they'd be if some of their members started clamoring for it? And how many members would it take?

I'd love to know how many TSRA members signed the Texas Open Carry Petition.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I did vote 'might join', but i'm not very optimistic at this point because of the non-comittal response between tsra and txcdl, of which im a member.

KBCraig

imported post

I'm in the "might join" sector, because TSRA is dominated by people who are afraid to be bold. They got what they wanted, which is concealed carry. They're going to push for campus carry (concealed, of course), which is good, but they also want to waste time and effort fighting private property rights through a workplace parking lot bill.

They are not in the least interest in fighting for other guns rights, like OC.

CrossFire

imported post

I voted "might join" also but I do not see myself joining anytime soon. As side note, DK, is the txcdl still around, their site has been down for some time now?

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

'Might' join; if they were openly supporting the open carry movement.
The way that I see it... by continuing to allow this violation they are not doing anything to be proactive against further restrictive legislation against all firearms and all types of carry. In order to at least keep the 'status quo' you have to have people pushing back! The more the better!

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
As side note, DK, is the txcdl still around, their site has been down for some time now?
Jerry, I was wondering the same thing. The TXCDL forum is what got me interested in OC to start with. Sure miss it.

Oh yeah, "might join" TSRA.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
I voted "might join" also but I do not see myself joining anytime soon. As side note, DK, is the txcdl still around, their site has been down for some time now?

I have had no communication from the president or any other leaders from txcdl since july. I was trying hard to push our agenda as dfw regional director for txcdl, but with no support from other areas, i've thrown my weight in with opencarry.org and work as the dfw representative for dfw.

As far as I'm concerned, the organization is frozen.

ELK-Tex

imported post

I am a long-time NRA Life Member and before I moved to VA to work for Feds I was an annual member of TSRA. I recently rejoined after my return. I believe Texas gun owners shouldjoin together... the coming years have all the ear-marks of rough going for all American gun owners... we can look forward to the new Democrat President and congress re-enacting not only the so-called "assault weapons ban" but Ted Kennedy's ban on ammo, he tried to slip into legislation just a couple years ago. Try exercising your 2nd amd rights with no ammo... The democrats and the Brady bunch will not mind how many guns you got then. The TSRA is an organized way we can make our voices heard on the local level. My State Rep and Senator both said in answer to my e-mails that they would "look forward to working with the TSRA on the Open Carry issue." So far TSRA has no "official" position, as I understand it on OC. Nevertheless, if those of us who favor OC are members we can possibly move the organization in that direction.

My 2 cents.
50.gif

Fatherof9

imported post

I am a member of TSRA, like the NRA I think they are not aggressive enough and have been negative on fighting for open carry. I have written them letters about what I think the priorities should be and how stupid they are for taking away property owners(employers) rights to ban guns on their own property.

But all in all they are on the same side as me probably 75% of the time, so I am a member and will remain so for the short term. I think we should all be a member of as many pro gun organizations as we can afford. They are all doing good, but some are more effective than others.