• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia CHP Question - Military ID?

cmartin7864

imported post

I am going apply for my CHP in Fairfax County tomorrow so I don't have to worry about covering my gun with a coat during the winter. Is my current military ID sufficient to show proof that I have demonstrated competence with a handgun? Has anyone else used their military ID for a CHP?

mkl

imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
I am going apply for my CHP in Fairfax County tomorrow so I don't have to worry about covering my gun with a coat during the winter.  Is my current military ID sufficient to show proof that I have demonstrated competence with a handgun?  Has anyone else used their military ID for a CHP?

Some one who has done it will have to chime in, but from the requirements for a CHP in Virginia:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

"The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:"

And on that list the follows, number 5 is:

"5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
"

cmartin7864

imported post

mkl wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
I am going apply for my CHP in Fairfax County tomorrow so I don't have to worry about covering my gun with a coat during the winter. Is my current military ID sufficient to show proof that I have demonstrated competence with a handgun? Has anyone else used their military ID for a CHP?

Some one who has done it will have to chime in, but from the requirements for a CHP in Virginia:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

"The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:"

And on that list the follows, number 5 is:

"5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
"
Right. But is the military ID "evidence" of current service? Or do they want orders or something?

Bubba Ron

imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
I used a copy of my M16 weapons qualification. It does not need to be current.
I'm going to have to do some digging to find that. 2002 was last time I qualified...I was in an hospital unit that did not qualify yearly.
When you have qualified once - you're qualified. Some folks with retired DD-214's from 20+ years ago, have used that document to obtain their first CHP. And CHP renewals do not need to show any qualification documents.

TexasNative

imported post

It seems to me that the DD-214 is the standard for satisfying the military service issue, but I suppose it depends on the Clerk of the Court for your county.

When I got my CHP in Loudoun County, they were happy to take copies of both my DD-214 and my DD-2(R).

jegoodin

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
It seems to me that the DD-214 is the standard for satisfying the military service issue, but I suppose it depends on the Clerk of the Court for your county.

When I got my CHP in Loudoun County, they were happy to take copies of both my DD-214 and my DD-2(R).
If you are still on active duty you don't have a DD-214. It is a discharge paper.

cmartin7864

imported post

LdoMaj_Ammo wrote:
Greetings from FOB Summerall!

Spotsylvaniaaccepted my DD214whichshowed my rifle badge.

Remember to block out your SSN on the copy.

r/Fred
I am active reserve....I do not have a DD214....I'm splurging and taking in on The Concealed Carry Institute just to be sure...Thanks for your input

LdoMaj_Ammo

imported post

Thank you for your service:celebrate

cmartin7864 wrote:
LdoMaj_Ammo wrote:
Greetings from FOB Summerall!

Spotsylvaniaaccepted my DD214whichshowed my rifle badge.

Remember to block out your SSN on the copy.

r/Fred
I am active reserve....I do not have a DD214....I'm splurging and taking in on The Concealed Carry Institute just to be sure...Thanks for your input

cmartin7864

imported post

ed wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
The Concealed Carry Institute just to be sure...Thanks for your input
http://www.tinyrurl.com/vachp

What did you think of that video and test? How long did it take you from beginning to end? How much of that was just the video?

Still watching video....but this guy seems anti-OC to a certain degree

Will advise when finished