• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia CHP Question - Military ID?

TexasNative

imported post

Just for clarity...

If you're enlisted, once you reenlist, you have a DD-214 (I had a DD-214 for 16 years on active duty).

But I see your point.

cmartin7864

imported post

ed wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
The Concealed Carry Institute just to be sure...Thanks for your input
http://www.tinyrurl.com/vachp

What did you think of that video and test? How long did it take you from beginning to end? How much of that was just the video?

It took me about 1 hour 10 mins from start to finish.

1 hour was video

2 minutes was registration

8 minutes to take test

Well worth the money if you don't have time to do anything else. Time is money

Gunny5821

imported post

I registered in Chesterfield initially and I used my Military Service (USMC) Retirement ID. They took a look, made a copy and off I went. No problem at all! Congrats on using your right to get the permit, especially with all of the states that now recognize VA's CHP. It is a GOOD thing to have!!!

Gunny

jegoodin

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Just for clarity...

If you're enlisted, once you reenlist, you have a DD-214 (I had a DD-214 for 16 years on active duty).

But I see your point.
I was enlisted in the Navy for 6 years, but had signed up for the whole 6 up front so there was no re-enlistment. I guess that might be why I didn't get one until I got out.

Bundabar

imported post

I may be being a little overzealous here but.... Couldn't you just call the County Clerk and ask if Military ID is acceptable? THEN, you can worry about it if they say no.

Just my 2 cents

kwrose66

imported post

A few of us used our paperwork containing our weapons qualifications , as we're small arms instructors for the Coast Guard, this was easy. It was accepted no problems, though a class would be good too, you can never have too much knowledge, I attended a class in New Kent County with my wife which was excellent.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
I am going apply for my CHP in Fairfax County tomorrow so I don't have to worry about covering my gun with a coat during the winter. Is my current military ID sufficient to show proof that I have demonstrated competence with a handgun? Has anyone else used their military ID for a CHP?
I hope you redacted your SSN and declined to put it on your application! if you did not, your SSN will be on a public record that anyomne can copy and put on Internet.

cmartin7864

imported post

Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
I am going apply for my CHP in Fairfax County tomorrow so I don't have to worry about covering my gun with a coat during the winter. Is my current military ID sufficient to show proof that I have demonstrated competence with a handgun? Has anyone else used their military ID for a CHP?
I hope you redacted your SSN and declined to put it on your application! if you did not, your SSN will be on a public record that anyomne can copy and put on Internet.
How does it become public record?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
By you handing it over the in-take counter in the clerk's office at the courthouse. It is automatically a public record. Mike and VCDL have been working on getting the records exempted from disclosure, but it hasn't passed the General Assembly.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
Becasue everything you put on the application, or enclose, or added by the court or police goes into your CHP file at the courthouse, a public record.

cmartin7864

imported post

Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
Becasue everything you put on the application, or enclose, or added by the court or police goes into your CHP file at the courthouse, a public record.
Thanks I did not know that :banghead:

mpolo79

imported post

Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
Does anyone know, if you change your SSN, will they update your CHP file with your new SSN number?

I hate SSN numbers...

Gunny5821

imported post

mpolo79 wrote:
Mike wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
I am going apply for my CHP in Fairfax County tomorrow so I don't have to worry about covering my gun with a coat during the winter.  Is my current military ID sufficient to show proof that I have demonstrated competence with a handgun?  Has anyone else used their military ID for a CHP?
I hope you redacted your SSN and declined to put it on your application!  if you did not, your SSN will be on a public record that anyomne can copy and put on Internet.
Does anyone know, if you change your SSN, will they update your CHP file with your new SSN number?

I hate SSN numbers...

How and why would you get a second SSN? I did not think that was possible, unless you went into a witness protection type thing or something similar with law enforcement. :what:

But to your question, I didn't provide an SSN as it is NOT required..

Gunny :cool:

cmartin7864

imported post

Went to FFXCo Circuit Courttoday and filed my application. They still call it "CWP". They even put a big sticker on ur file that says "CWP". The clerk said there were a lot of people applying today and she was very happy to see this. We'll see how long it takes.

richarcm

imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
Went to FFXCo Circuit Courttoday and filed my application. They still call it "CWP". They even put a big sticker on ur file that says "CWP". The clerk said there were a lot of people applying today and she was very happy to see this. We'll see how long it takes.
Was she an nice older lady that just won't shutup? :)