• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia CHP Question - Military ID?

cmartin7864

imported post

richarcm wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
Went to FFXCo Circuit Courttoday and filed my application. They still call it "CWP". They even put a big sticker on ur file that says "CWP". The clerk said there were a lot of people applying today and she was very happy to see this. We'll see how long it takes.
Was she an nice older lady that just won't shutup? :)

In fact she was LOL :lol:

edit: spelling

richarcm

imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
richarcm wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
Went to FFXCo Circuit Courttoday and filed my application. They still call it "CWP". They even put a big sticker on ur file that says "CWP". The clerk said there were a lot of people applying today and she was very happy to see this. We'll see how long it takes.

I guess she is the lady that always works the window. She is a nice lady but I stood in line behind TWO people for about 1 hour one day. All I wanted was to get in there before work, turn in my paperwork, pay the $50 and scram. Nope. LOL

richarcm

imported post

mpolo79 wrote:
Does anyone know if they destroy your records if your CHP expires and you don't renew it?
I have a feeling that those records are permanently attached to you in some way shape or form.

cmartin7864

imported post

richarcm wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
richarcm wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:

I guess she is the lady that always works the window. She is a nice lady but I stood in line behind TWO people for about 1 hour one day. All I wanted was to get in there before work, turn in my paperwork, pay the $50 and scram. Nope. LOL
Fortunately for me another window opened and the guy did like 5 people while she did 1. I'm not a talkative individual so she didn't talk too much

pyite

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
does any one know if i have to take the cwp form to a public notary so he can sign it before i take to the court?

i live in fairfax virginia
No, one of the clerks will be a notary public and you will have to swear that everything is correct blah blah.

You should NOT sign it before taking it to the Clerk of the Court.

NoVA York

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
does any one know if i have to take the cwp form to a public notary so he can sign it before i take to the court?

i live in fairfax virginia

Back when I did mine, I got it notarized, made two additional copies and included a SASE. Then went to the clerk's office and was good to go.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dang, I guess I had it easy. I just remember filling out the paperwork there, showing them my military ID and driver's license, and then paying the money. I don't remember having to go to a notary and swear anything. I'm pretty sure the lady at the desk was a notary and she stamped my paper... I dunno. I was surprised that it wasn't more of a hassle honestly.

DocKen

imported post

I got mine in 2000, Norfolk Court. ID was sufficient, but I had brought an old 9mm qual card with me as well.

Navy doesn't do DD 214's on reenlistment anymore. My first reenlistment back in 1986 I got one, but none since then, and I've reenlisted several times, last one 2 years ago.

I still took a CC course from Bob's Gunshop a couple of months after that. Mostly for some of the legal discussion such as where/where not to carry.

You can never get too much training!

I've also found that participating in IDPA competitions is very good practice in handling and shooting. I gained a lot more confidence after participating in those. There is a military group that gets together for that 1-2 times a month at the Camp Allen MWR shooting range in Norfolk.

I think you can also use something from participating in such competions as proof as well.

Regular_Joe

imported post

Culpeper Courthouse doesn't notarize for you - fortunately, the deputy (Deputy Jessup, I think) that works the front door is a notary, so if you can catch him on duty, you are good to go. If the good deputy isn't there, you have to find another notary outside the courthouse!

essayons

imported post

The Army gives you a DD214 when you leave AIT.

When I called the City of Richmond to ask when I got my CHP a while back, they required a DD214.

Calling the city or county to ask what proof they would like is the easiest thing to do.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Just one additional comment on this thread:

You can also mail-in your CHP application to FFX County.

While you do have to have it notarized prior to mailing ...

... it might be preferable to the logistic challenges of hauling yourself into the court complex in Fairfax City, parking, and waiting in-line.

Regular_Joe

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
Culpeper Courthouse doesn't notarize for you -

Every Deputy Court Clerk can do a Copy Teste which is the same thing. If they refuse, then they're just being lazy.
Interesting note about Culpeper: a couple of weeks after submitting my notarized CHP application, I received a nice, hand-signed letter from the county attorney confirming the receipt of the application and stating that he fully supported the 2nd Amendment and Virginia's citizens in their right to carry. Three or four weeks later, I received a confirmation note from the court that the application was complete and being processed.

I haven't counted exactly, but my CHP arrived about day 40 or so.