• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skeet Shooting shotguns?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well Christmas is coming up and I have been looking at different ideas. I looked at black powder pistols a little and now I am looking more into shotguns. There is a skeet range at the place that I am applying for a club membership. What would you all recommend as a starter's shotgun for skeet/possible deer hunting with 00 buck?

Something like this with a 26" barrel maybe?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95589

Maybe I should look into a rifled barrel with slugs if I decided to do deer? They only allow shotguns on the persons land that I would be using by county law or w/e. Could I get away with 00 buck if I wanted to occasionally go deer hunting? Thanks guys.
I have a 9mm pistol and .22 rifle right now, so I figured why not add a shotgun to the mix and broaden my shooting abilities.

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Well Christmas is coming up and I have been looking at different ideas. I looked at black powder pistols a little and now I am looking more into shotguns. There is a skeet range at the place that I am applying for a club membership. What would you all recommend as a starter's shotgun for skeet/possible deer hunting with 00 buck?

i have a 870 express its a nice all around shotgun.

you can get a different receiver and barrel for it to shoot 3 1/2 magnum for duck hunting or something. or you could just buy a super magnum but either way

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Typically what will I want to use for different things such as skeet, buck, duck, etc? Thanks!

Just trying to figure out what is best for skeet and misc. hunting now and then. I'm guessing birdshot for skeet and duck right? Then buck shot or slugs for deer I would assume?

Something like this if I wanted to do buck hunting?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=391676

impulse

imported post

You cannot go wrong with a 870. They are the AK of the shotgun world.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It seems to me that the only advantage to having a spiraled barrel on a shotgun would be for using slugs. This improves the accuracy of the projectile.

I would think that such a barrel would cause greater shot spread due to the centrifical force created by the spin of the shot "package" when it leaves the barrel. Smooth bore seems more appropriate for bird hunting and skeet shooting.

Look on the shell boxes, some manufacturers state on the box what the shells (shot #) are best suited for.

CaptainFinn

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Maybe I should look into a rifled barrel with slugs if I decided to do deer? They only allow shotguns on the persons land that I would be using by county law or w/e. Could I get away with 00 buck if I wanted to occasionally go deer hunting? Thanks guys.
I have a 9mm pistol and .22 rifle right now, so I figured why not add a shotgun to the mix and broaden my shooting abilities.
If you're planning on Skeet, be aware that there are stations on a skeet field that require you to shoot doubles--two clay birds are launched simultaneously and you have to shoot them one after the other. it can be kinda tricky with a pump, but with practice it can be done.
For skeet you want either an improved cylinder choke (IC) or skeet (SK). You'll be using either 7 1/2 shot or 8 or 9.
For hunting birds, you will use anything from #4 birdshot up to 7 1/2.
For deer, forget the buckshot dispite the obvious-sounding name. Use full-sized (aka Foster) slugs in a smoothbore barrel, with an IC choke--nothing bigger, it can damage the gun. You can also spring for a second rifled barrel so you can shoot sabot slugs, this will give you rifle-like accuracy, but beware that you CANNOT shoot birdshot or buckshot through a rifled barrel, it will group terribly and gunk up the rifling with plastic residue from the shot wads.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Right! I was looking at getting a rifled barrel for it as well so I could just switch it out if I wanted to go hunting or take it to a range that does not allow anything but slugs. I'll have to talk to my parents about it and we'll see what they say. Christmas is a little ways away right now. I will probably ask for money from them then go buy it since they said no guns for presents:cry:

Obviously I would only shoot slugs through the rifled barrel and only slugs through the rifled barrel:lol:

bayboy42

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Right! I was looking at getting a rifled barrel for it as well so I could just switch it out if I wanted to go hunting or take it to a range that does not allow anything but slugs. I'll have to talk to my parents about it and we'll see what they say. Christmas is a little ways away right now. I will probably ask for money from them then go buy it since they said no guns for presents:cry:

Obviously I would only shoot slugs through the rifled barrel and only slugs through the rifled barrel:lol:
I have some suggestions but have a question to save me some typing....whats your price range?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've used my Mossberg 500 for anything and everything from skeet shooting to slug target shooting. (I haven't hunted too many times and have never had need to use a slug for hunting.) I gave less than $300 for the 28" smooth barrel and 26" (I think) rifled barrel, but found I almost never used the rifled barrel as I found the smooth barrel to be quite accurate with manycommon rifled slugs. With several thousand rounds through this reliable gun if I want to buy another pump shotgun it will be aMossberg 500.

rodbender

imported post

Looks good to me. You might want to consider having adouble bead put on the vent rib. Improves accuracy like nothing else I've found.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Excuse me but, you ARE old enough to buy a firearm, right?

savery

imported post

870 is a good gun.. I've owned two.

One is a retired state police gun that was beat to hell when i got it .... a little dura coat and it's nice now.

The other was an express magnum that had issues... slide didn't want to come back after firing. changed ammo, but couldn't pin down the problem...

so i traded it for a Benelli super nova... that is one fine shooting gun.

Damn do I love that Benelli...

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I will be 20 in 2 weeks and yes I own a pistol and a rifle currently. I actually go out and attend OC dinners here in Tidewater VA and go to the range with guys from OCDO. I just recently got into shooting in May but I am in college. I still get Christmas presents from parents but I'll just get money from them and then go out and buy what I want probably. My mom doesn't like guns, so that is the reason they won't buy one for me as a gift:lol:

Carnivore

imported post

I own an 870 combo in 20ga., and a Mossberg 600at with both barrels, killed many of Deer in delaware and Missouriwith Shotgun slugs from a smooth bore, and rifled barrels,My full rifled barrelsare 0 to 110 yds dead on, with Iron sights. in most cases, I'd Rather carry one of the shotguns over the .243, 30-30, 7mm wsm, .325 wsm..

If you go with a full rifled barrel you owe it to yourself to give the Lightfield Sabboted slugs a try,

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/index.cfm?id=2&cfid=9220120&cftoken=27905682

Awesome performance, I've been using them for over 15 years now.