• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Meeting

6L6GC

imported post

I am trying to set up a membership meeting somewhere here in the Hampton Roads Area but have been having a hard time finding a suitable place. Does anyone know of a good place for us to have a meeting?

I am open to suggestions. You can email me if you wish. I and PVC have selected the 29th of this month as the best date.

Thanks in advance for any help you offer.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jegoodin wrote:
jegoodin wrote:
Hooters at the Waterfront??? :shock:
Ok, I acknowledge that is in poor taste.

Do like we do here in NoVA.

Have it in a government building! There just has to be a reserve-able conference room or something in Norfolk or Chesapeake City Hall. :)

Its even more inspiring if the building or room has the name of a Founder connected to it.

In NoVA we meet at the George Mason Government Center. Good ol' George Mason, advocate of the Bill of Rights!!

2a4all

imported post

I checked the Newport News Public Library (http://www.nngov.com/library) (Main St & Grissom facilities) for meeting room availability, but both are booked on the 29th from 6:00pm until close.:( These 2 facilities have meeting rooms for 150 people.

I'm checking for other facilities.

Thundar

imported post

We haveused the Norfolk Rifle Club. Chesapeake Public Library has big enough rooms, but I would really like to go to Norfolk.Norfolk is the place where we need to ensure that everybody knows we will not be intimidated. It needs to be a statement.

6L6GC

imported post

OK, I have the meeting set up at the Lafayette Gun Club at 1930 hrs. on the 19. Hope to see everyone there. The LGC is a great place. We had a meeting there once before.

C

ccloud43

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
OK, I have the meeting set up at the Lafayette Gun Club at 1930 hrs. on the 19. Hope to see everyone there. The LGC is a great place. We had a meeting there once before.

OK is the meeting on the 19th or the 29th. In your 1st post you mentioned the 29th.

Just want to verify..Thanks

6L6GC

imported post

it's on the 19th. Nothing was working out for the 29th (which is what I originally hoped for). So I had to go to the next best thing, which is the 19th.

Tomahawk

imported post

I second Citizen's post. Having the meeting in a police station building (especially if the building is named after a Bill of Rights advocate) is a good move. The PD gets to see you on a regular basis, including those who OC. I can't say for sure, but I think this has had an effect on Fairfax Co. PD over the years here; they get more used to seeing armed citizens and they have better things to do than to worry about us. There was some attention drawn years ago, but after speaking to them it was never a problem again. I think it pays to build an image of trusteworthiness and reasonableness with the local PD and this benefits all armed citizens in the area. It's a mild form of activism.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree with Thundar and Tomahawk. A public meeting room in Norfolk City Hall would be great, and there are gun-friendly restaurants hearby too. Freemason Abbey has worked out well the last few times we've been there.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
Lafayette Gun Club

Wednesday, 19 Nov 2008 at 1930 hours

Any thoughts/plans for dinner afterwards?

6L6GC, can you edit the thread title to get "Yorktown" and the date in there? I suspect many folks are overlooking the thread.

Armed

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I agree with Thundar and Tomahawk. A public meeting room in Norfolk City Hall would be great, and there are gun-friendly restaurants hearby too. Freemason Abbey has worked out well the last few times we've been there.

Yeah, and after the meeting we can all go to dinner at Waterside! ;)

Bumping for Danbus!