• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC a hot topic on ifish

sailor628

imported post

I have posted about OCing at my church before. Recently a fellow gun enthuthist at church has started CCing again. He told me that I inspired him to. He hangs out on the ifish forum and made a post asking what others thought of open carry. So far, it's been viewed 1300 times. Most of the replys (60 so far) seem pretty negative. However, they are very interesting to read as it's another perspective that we don't get to hear often. I plan on jumping in on ifish and saying "I'm the guy opencarrying at his church" . I just want to make sure I make the right entrance explaining why I open carry etc.

Check it out. Maybe some of you would like to back me up when I make my appearence :cool:. I plan on using the same screen name there.

http://ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=218681

3/325

imported post

I don't see the need to identify yourself as the OCer. Whatever discussion that may be going on in the thread will quickly dissolve into personal attacks. There's nothing to gain by saying "I'm the guy".

It appears that post #47 says it all, and quite eloquently.

sailor628

imported post

3/325 wrote:
I don't see the need to identify yourself as the OCer. Whatever discussion that may be going on in the thread will quickly dissolve into personal attacks. There's nothing to gain by saying "I'm the guy".

It appears that post #47 says it all, and quite eloquently.
Sounds like good advice. Post 47 does say it all. I can't top that. opencarry.org has already been mentioned as a good place to go for info on laws regarding OC. There's nothing left to do but lurk and enjoy the show.

David.Car

imported post

There are definitely some ignorant people on that site though. Most pointedly, the people who all think that carrying a gun visibly makes you the first to die...

Not worth the effort to register though, people like that usually aren't going to change their minds no matter what you say.

sharp

imported post

Totally off topic but I started laughing at myself as I somehow thought that "ifish" was a religious forum.

I actually read several posts before looking at the headers and realizing my mistake.

Hey, it could fit.

adamsesq

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Eek!

Somebody on there doesn't understand Oregon's preemption statute and is giving bad advice.

Maybe you should correct that.

Yup - I saw that too and almost registered there to say something, and then thought about how if you get your legal advice from a forum you should be a bit cautious about it... It kind of sort of a little bit got corrected by the actual text of the law, but no real good synopsis.

And I too thought it was a religious forum at first!

-adamsesq

Bear 45/70

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Eek!

Somebody on there doesn't understand Oregon's preemption statute and is giving bad advice.

Maybe you should correct that.
They posted the part about a CPL canceling the local ordnance effect on you being able to OC, but just ignored it as being relevant.

David.Car

imported post

sharp wrote:
Totally off topic but I started laughing at myself as I somehow thought that "ifish" was a religious forum.
I did at first too... Thinking about the little fish you see on backs of cars... I don't know... :p

DEROS72

imported post

I noticed one post staing that guns have no place in a lawful society.Being that in the last couple of weeks where I live the ice cream guy was held up at gunpoint and home invasions are on the rise .One gal down the street had her door kicked in ,raped and robbed.I am not seeing that we are a totally law abiding society as yet and will protect myself and property as well as those around me if the need arises.Some on that thread seem so think we are all a bunch of crazed gunslingin shoot first bunch of buba's.I see my fire arm as a means of difusing a bad situation with shooting as a last resort.Until LE arrive .As someone said "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.I have had far more positive recation than negative regarding OC and only one or two tried to avoid me in all the time i have OC'ed .People stand and chat in the lines I,m in

and haven't run away screaming .

bluer1

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I noticed one post staing that guns have no place in a lawful society.Being that in the last couple of weeks where I live the ice cream guy was held up at gunpoint and home invasions are on the rise .One gal down the street had her door kicked in ,raped and robbed.I am not seeing that we are a totally law abiding society as yet and will protect myself and property as well as those around me if the need arises.Some on that thread seem so think we are all a bunch of crazed gunslingin shoot first bunch of buba's.I see my fire arm as a means of difusing a bad situation with shooting as a last resort.Until LE arrive .As someone said "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.I have had far more positive recation than negative regarding OC and only one or two tried to avoid me in all the time i have OC'ed .People stand and chat in the lines I,m in and haven't run away screaming .
Hey now, if someone enters my house at night and it's not my wife, I will shoot first. That's per that situation though.