• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So many don't notice OC

sailor628

imported post

I went to a church potluck tonight and for some reason people that I have OCd around at least a dozen times before noticed for the first time. Must have been the shirt I was wearing cut a little tighter to my body than usual making my gun appear to stick out a little further. I got the usual "Is that a real gun? Why do you have a gun?" . It never ceases to amaze me how so many people never or take so long to notice. One fellow had been sitting in the sound booth with me for months and just noticed tonight. Anyone have similar experiences?

gsx1138

imported post

When I first started carrying it would sometimes take my wife all day before she realized I had a gun on me. Even though it's in plain sight. Now, I barely get my holster on before she notices. One thing it did was make her more aware of what's going on around her.

I think a very large part of the population walk around in a sort of haze. Billions of 'to do's', pins, passwords, phone numbers, and advertising have dulled the general population to what is actually happening around them.

David.Car

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
When I first started carrying it would sometimes take my wife all day before she realized I had a gun on me. Even though it's in plain sight.
My girlfriend still doesn't notice. I will put it on right as we go out the door, than after we get home and I am taking it off in front of her she will comment on how she didn't notice I was carrying.

joshmmm

imported post

David.Car wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
When I first started carrying it would sometimes take my wife all day before she realized I had a gun on me. Even though it's in plain sight.
My girlfriend still doesn't notice. I will put it on right as we go out the door, than after we get home and I am taking it off in front of her she will comment on how she didn't notice I was carrying.

I've had the same experience many times... Sometimeswe will go somewhere and I will put it on before leaving, in front of the girlfriend--no shirt on at all, and she will not notice until we get home and I put it away... We always get a kick out of it...

It's funny, she fully supports gun rights and me carrying when I want, but half the time when she notices me put it on she asks the same question... and it is always the same answer... and strangely, the same answer and logic she knows do not stop the question from coming out... (I am of course talking about the usual question along the lines of... we are going somewhere safe... do you really need to bring a gun to xxx?)

tricityguy

imported post

we are going somewhere safe...
Heh... I'm sure that's exactly what most crime victims thought, too. "Safe" places are only safe until they aren't. I got a bit of questioning about a birthday party, myself. "Why would you carry to a 50 year old's birthday party in a private residence in a nice neighborhood?" Can you guarantee some lunatic won't walk in the front door and start killing people? Of course not, but everyone things that's so preposterous, it could never happen to them. Well, I read the news. It happens all the time. Maybe not to me, or anyone I know... yet. It sure seems to happen to a lot of people I don't know.

Fact is, there is simply no good reason it hasn't happened to me or mine yet. Could be luck. Could be - and I love to warp people's minds with this one - could well be that yesterday, when I went on a quiet walk around the block with my wife, I came only seconds away from having my wallet stolen and our throats cut if not for the fact that the perp saw my weapon and kept on steppin'. For all any of us know the one time we were in the wrong place at the wrong time has already come and gone and we're still kicking today because we made the choice to OC.

Every time I think about leaving my house without my firearm, I say to myself, "Self, how do you know this won't be the day the worst happens?" And I strap the thing on. I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared. I'm not worried. I don't live my life in fear. I just want to be ready. My life and the lives of my family, friends, hell any innocent people that happen to be around me at the time, those lives are worth it. I wish more people would step up and take responsibilty for the safety of themselves and those around them at any given moment in time.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I too have had the "going some place safe" discussion with my fiancee numerous times. I think she may finally be done asking.

I do agree that many people seem not to notice OC, especially if the gun and holster is understated and blends in with your clothing.

FogRider

imported post

Along the same lines, it's amusing to see the reaction when they do finally notice. Always the same surprised double-take ("Is that guy carrying a gun!?"). Sometimes they say something, most of the time they don't.

3/325

imported post

Abandoning your firearm because you're "going someplace safe" is like not wearing your seatbelt because you're going someplace close by. Foolishness.

tricityguy

imported post

Abandoning your firearm because you're "going someplace safe" is like not wearing your seatbelt because you're going someplace close by. Foolishness.
Excellent analogy. I'm going to use that at the next available opportunity.

Bear 45/70

imported post

3/325 wrote:

“If I knew when and where I would need my gun, I just wouldn’t go there then. But I don’t and can’t, so I carry everywhere I go everyday.”

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I carry everywhere but the base. It's funny how they trust me with a 38 million dollar aircraft and the lives of the people flying it but i cant carry and leave my gun in my truck out in the command parking lot.