Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another goof w/a gun

Post imported post

For cryin' out loud, unload first idiot!

http://tinyurl.com/5mfrnp

Oct 16, 8:16 PM EDT

Man practicing a quick draw shoots himself in leg

BARRE, Vt. (AP) -- Police say a man was recovering from a gunshot wound after he shot himself in the leg with a handgun while practicing a quick draw. Police said a bullet from a revolver entered the 61-year-old man's leg just below the left knee and lodged in his foot.

Police say when rescue crews arrived at about 7 p.m. Tuesday they found the man sitting on the sidewalk near his home.

Police said the man was in stable condition.---

Information from: The Times Argus, http://www.timesargus.com/

Post imported post

sitedzn wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5mfrnp

Oct 16, 8:16 PM EDT

Man practicing a quick draw shoots himself in leg

BARRE, Vt. (AP) -- Police say a man was recovering from a gunshot wound after he shot himself in the leg with a handgun while practicing a quick draw. Police said a bullet from a revolver entered the 61-year-old man's leg just below the left knee and lodged in his foot.

Police say when rescue crews arrived at about 7 p.m. Tuesday they found the man sitting on the sidewalk near his home.

Police said the man was in stable condition.---

Information from: The Times Argus, http://www.timesargus.com/

Guess they don't have snap caps in Vermont.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Banned

Post imported post

Post imported post

LMAO!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

sitedzn wrote:
    The problem may be 'indistinct' written grammar. The idiot was supposed to be unloaded first, not the gun. The gun is just a tool.

Post imported post

Loaded or not someone needs to learn when the trigger finger goes on the trigger.

The picture made me laugh out loud too.

At Front Sight we learn to draw and fire two rounds into the thorasic cavity within 1.5 seconds. That is fast drawing with a loaded weapon. The weapons don't go bang until the trigger is pulled. I was taught at Front Sight a 5 step drawing process and the finger did not touch the trigger until moving from step 4 to step 5.

Yes alot of practice with dry practice until the speed was up.

Post imported post

Perhaps this is a unique semi-pacifist/masochistic SD technique he is working on:

BG: Give me all your money old man!

OldDude: *fastdrawbangpoint* OOOOWWwwwwwww

BG: WTF

OD: Yeah, yeah, see that, see that blood and bullet hole? If you don't step off and go away that's what I'm doin' to you! You wanna get shot? Hey, man, you know I'm not afraid to pull the trigger ....
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned

Post imported post

"Hold it. The next man makes a move, the ****** gets it... Drop it! For I swear, I'll blow this ******'s head all over this town. 'Oh Lordy-lord, he's desperate. Do what he say. Do what he say'."

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    "Hold it. The next man makes a move, the ****** gets it... Drop it! For I swear, I'll blow this ******'s head all over this town. 'Oh Lordy-lord, he's desperate. Do what he say. Do what he say'."
    "Candygram for Huffy." "Candygram for Huffy."

"

"Huffy LIKE Candygram...."

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    While hilarious in the context of Blazing Saddles, without context I think some people reading that are going to get offended:

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned

Post imported post

Then 'they' can delete it.

As long as the trolling old fools have been allowed to go on, I doubt the 'deleters' are paying much attention.

I'm not invested.

Post imported post

Well, maybe he can get the doc to put in a kevlar kneecap for next time.

At least he has learned that the bullet is faster than the hand.

lets see now.... What was that?
    1. squeeze trigger
    2. pull gun
    3. call hospital

yep ol' quick draw practice works every time.

just watched blazing saddles again last month, and had no problem
    with the quote, of course i'm not SS.

Where did you find that range photo?

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

As long as the trolling old fools have been allowed to go on, I doubt the 'deleters' are paying much attention.

I'm not invested.
    "Huffy only pawn in game of life...."

Banned

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

I'm not invested.
    "Huffy only pawn in game of life...."
    My boss is wondering why I'm doubled over my computer laughing.

Banned

Post imported post

double post ownage

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    QFT

Post imported post

Reminds me of a guy we called "Pinky" in High School. He was Houston LEO right out of High School. He was practicing Quick Draw and shot himself in the leg and foot. Just grazedboth but torethem up pretty good. His wife drove him to the hospital and was informed that they would have to call police because it was a gunshot wound. He told the doctorhe was the police. But they had to call any. Guess who showed up. His ownSgt. He was not allowed to forget it for a while. All of his LEO friends, and us, called him QD for a loooong time. His wife would not allow him to fix thebathroom tilefor about a year. It was ceramic.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

We had a shooting at a police academy near my home. A highly respected Instructor with decades of experience was demostrating the proper way to hold the gun, aim and fire at a subject. He used his personal gun and pointed it at a female recruit's chest. He pulled the trigger and he had one less to teach. In fact, he never taught again and was devastated at what happened. He KNEW his gun was unloaded.

I know of two local sherrif's deputies who told me they had an "unloaded" gun go off at home. Both were smart enough to have pointed it in a safe direction. I respected them for telling their embarassing story.

There was a case I read about in a gun magazine. An experienced FBI agent had a target on the wall of his office that he used to dry fire at. He finished his dry fire pratice, reloaded hiis weapon and then the phone rang. He had a long, heated conversation and he was pissed when he hung up the phone, he went back to what he had been doing - dry firing. The bullet hit the target, went through the wall and into the back of the head of a promising FBI agent. The agent died, of course and the career was over for the experienced agent. He was also devastated at what he had done.

Don't assume it won't happen to you, ALWAYS point your weapon in a safe direction whether reloading, dry firing and cleaning your weapon. Of course, we al know this, right?

open4years

Post imported post

I forgot one!

A local police officer always slept with her loaded Glock under her pillow. One night she happened to move the pillow just right (wrong?) and shot herself in the arm. It was a .45 and she had a devastating wound. I never found out if she was able to return to duty.

open4years

mdgary

Post imported post

Never play with a loaded FIREARM!!!!!

Post imported post

mdgary wrote:
    ALL firearms are loaded until you check! Then check it again!!

And if the firearm leaves your hand, assume the magical reloading fairies did their job.

Post imported post

What I have taught my grandaughter is that all guns are loaded all the time, even if you are the one that unloads it it is still loaded.

Banned

Post imported post

open4years wrote:
    I forgot one!

A local police officer always slept with her loaded Glock under her pillow. One night she happened to move the pillow just right (wrong?) and shot herself in the arm. It was a .45 and she had a devastating wound. I never found out if she was able to return to duty.

open4years

Your other stories are tragic mistakes that could, unfortunately, happen to anyone of us, but this one is just pure darwinism. Who the hell sleeps with a loaded gun under their pillow? Is the nightstand too far away?

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    mdgary wrote:
    ALL firearms are loaded until you check! Then check it again!!

And if the firearm leaves your hand, assume the magical reloading fairies did their job.
    I follow this rule all the time. My kids also assume any gun is loaded, even if I should happen to make sure it's empty / safe immediately prior tohanding it to them.

I don't EVER want to be a (or part of a) gun safety statistic.

Post imported post

Your other stories are tragic mistakes that could, unfortunately, happen to anyone of us, but this one is just pure darwinism. Who the hell sleeps with a loaded gun under their pillow? Is the nightstand too far away?
    I respectfully disagree with you. The first case could have been prevented by using a rubber gun, wooden gun, anything but a real gun. In the second case, the FBI agent was using a target on a wall to dry fire at. He should have pointed his gun in a safe direction even if he absolutely knew it was unloaded.

Both of these men were highly trained and should have known better. I feel very sorry for them and the victims, but they both made a mistake that they knew better than to do.

I agree with you on the third case: a Glock under a pillow. I don't think any gun under a pillow (that someone is sleeping on) is wise, but especially a Glock.

Maybe there is something about this area (!) but there was another case in a nearby police department. An officer had finished cleaning his duty weapon and was in the process of racking the slide to chamber a round when it went off, hitting a fellow officer in the leg. The reason for the discharge? He was pressing on the trigger while chambering the round. Once again, pointing it in a safe direction would have made this just an embarassing event and no one would have been hurt.

open4years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast